Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
cbondy private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys I have been lurking on here for a while now and thought I would finally post.
I'm 22 and have been going to the gym for about a year consistently with the odd week or 2 off. I did db bench, leg press, ohp, row and pull ups 4 sets of 8-12 3xweekly. I did this while attempting a bulk and went from 62-74kg. However I let my diet slack and maintained and dropped to 70kg. I have been trying to eat "clean" for about 6 weeks doing squats, bench and deads 3x weekly and 15 mins of hiit 1x a week. I have gone down to 68kg.
Basically long story short I want to go back to a bulk to gain more size and am thinking of following the strong lifts 5x5. I know it's a strength programme but would it be good to put on size too?
I had a go at 1RM the other week roughly 100/95/80kg for squat/bench/dead (never really performed deadlift before so stopped when it felt heavy).
I hope this is clear any nudges in the right direction will be most appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Sure. Go ahead and run 5x5. Your diet will determine what kind of weight you put on, so make sure you get that straight.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Ok cool thanks. As for diet I've never counted macros I just tried to have larger portions and eat more. Typical day would be porridge, serious mass, tuna and pasta mayo, 2 pieces of toast 3 eggs beans, chicken and rice, serious mass. I think that would put me at like 3500cal rough guestimation.
Post 3 IP   flag post
No guesstimates. You need to learn your body and how it responds before you can start winging things. Get the calorie and macro tracking down and shoot for as 500 surplus. Most guys that guesstimate end up way off.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Just used the calculator maintenance is about 2800 so I will aim for 3200-3300. I was still gaining weight before I got lazy last time which would make sense if I was close to 4000. I generally survive on lots of starchy carbs to bulk out a meal and fill me up with a portion of meat or fish. Weekly weighs-ins to check I'm not gaining to quickly? And keep track of calories throughout the day. Cheers @wannabemuscular
Post 5 IP   flag post
Log it here and stick around. You'll always get good advice and encouragement from the group here.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yer I will do il probably start in a week or 2. In the meantime il try and get my profile sorted etc and keep reading the threads.
One last question I quickly looked at ws4sb which is also a 3day setup. Any thoughts? Or just personal preference?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Don't know much about WS. Others here are more knowledgeable. Just pick something you feel like you will stick with for at least several months.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Unless someone knows a good reason to swap Il stick with 5x5 as it's laid out and simple.
Log coming soon
Post 9 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Yep 5x5 with cal surplus and you will make gainzzz.

Get that log going so we can follow your progress!
Post 10 IP   flag post
340735 10 10
destitute