Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CompetingContest PrepDiet AdviceSplit Advice

*My Top Three Contest Prep Tips*15126

Danimal_88 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Everyone,

Just thought I could provide some insight for anyone looking to compete in a bodybuilding or physique competition. The following are my top three tips to make your life easier when it comes to prep:

1) Structure your offseason meal timing and early day meals to be similar to what they will be during prep. For example, I ate proats for breakfast, chicken and vegetables for lunch, and fruit as an afternoon/pre-workout snack pretty much my entire offseason. This made my transition to prep really easy as the only place I really had to cut calories was from my night snacking. This brings me to my next point.

2) In order to maximize your adherence to a certain set of macros it is imperative that you never put yourself into a position where you finish up all your food too long before bed. Trying to go to bed hungry is horrible and it almost always leads to excess calories being consumed to all-out binges. I always try to leave myself 250-350 calories to consume between 8:30pm and 10:00pm. Its a decent amount to where if I am not really hungry I can eat something duurrrttyyy to satisfy a craving but If I am hungry I can fit a large volume cauliflower, chicken, egg white omlet.

3) Give yourself PLENTY of time to get ready for a show. A good rule of thumb for most people doing their first show (this doesn't apply to experienced competitors who know their true show weight) to basically take whatever time you think you need to prep and double it. So if you think you need a 16 week prep, you should probably do a 28-32 week prep. This will give you the time needed to lose the bodyfat at an appropriate rate (.25-1.0% of total bw a week) so that you can continue minimize muscle and strength loss over the prep. Too many times do I see people who are easy 35-50lbs over a true, cheese grater ass bodyweight trying to do a 15-20 week prep and either show up looking like super soft or they absolutely murder themselves with cardio and severely restricted caloric intakes and they lose a lot of hard won offseason progress. I start my prep 34 weeks out @ 205lbs thinking that the lowest I would have to get is 170. Now that I am in the mid to low 170's it is clear that for me to get the Berto type conditioning (he has been running my prep for the past 11 weeks, I did the first 16 on my own) I will need to get down to 166-8 range. I am sure glad I gave myself a lot of time.

I know that there are tons of other great tips out there, but these are just a few that I think can really help people out there looking to do a first show.
Post 1 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Great work man.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Cheers for this man!
Post 3 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks!
Post 4 IP   flag post
340762 4 4
destitute