Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingSplit Advice

Is losing muscle on a cut exaggerated?15103

musclesbrah24 private msg quote post Address this user
Is it true that when you cut your muscles are only depleted on water, glycogen, etc. BUT you don't actually lose the muscle fibers itself? I was thinking about it and it seems that it is actually very hard to lose muscle
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on how big a deficit you go on. As soon as you start going over a 500+ calorie deficit is when your body will use muscle mass as fuel in addition to your fat stores.
Post 2 IP   flag post
jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
If you're in too much of a deficit over a long period of time you'll notice major strength decrease with muscle loss.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja0016
If you're in too much of a deficit over a long period of time you'll notice major strength decrease with muscle loss.

I mean I did a cut a while back, about to do one again. I just always get so paranoid about losing muscle. And how long are you talking about?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostshock
Depends on how big a deficit you go on. As soon as you start going over a 500+ calorie deficit is when your body will use muscle mass as fuel in addition to your fat stores.

BUT are the actual fibers gone or is it just the water and glycogen being used?
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You can neither gain nor lose muscle cells from the way you train and diet. You'd have to have some sort of pathology like MD for that to happen. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Method private msg quote post Address this user
You wont lose the fiber but the size of the fiber will decrease. On a cut, I keep the protein high (45%) and the lift heavy to try and maintain muscle mass. If you've bulked correctly you will be happy with the results.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
45%? Wtf? Why??? -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
You can neither gain nor lose muscle cells from the way you train and diet. You'd have to have some sort of pathology like MD for that to happen. -3X

Neither gain nor lose muscle cells? So muscles only grow my hypertrophy and not hyperplasia? If this is the case, then why do I always get the perception from others that you can easily lose muscles. So it would ok for me to decrease the calories dramatically since there is no risk of actually losing muscle?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method
You wont lose the fiber but the size of the fiber will decrease. On a cut, I keep the protein high (45%) and the lift heavy to try and maintain muscle mass. If you've bulked correctly you will be happy with the results.

So it doesn't matter that the size of the fiber decreases for short term like when I am cutting? Wouldn't my muscles refill with glycogen and water after a couple weeks of bulking again to the same size even if I go through a dramatic caloric deficit?
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesbrah24
Quote:

Neither gain nor lose muscle cells? So muscles only grow my hypertrophy and not hyperplasia? If this is the case, then why do I always get the perception from others that you can easily lose muscles. So it would ok for me to decrease the calories dramatically since there is no risk of actually losing muscle?

No, you can absolutely decrease the size of the fibers, but outside of a few lab-controlled animal models, hyperplasia does not occur. If it did, muscle wasting diseases such as muscular dystrophy would not exist. When you increase or decrease muscle mass, it's the size of the cells, not the number. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
swollenscott private msg quote post Address this user
Don't overthink it. Small deficits in the calorie dept, eat good stuff, keep lifting heavy and if you're worried some BCAAs before/during/after a workout. Probably no evidence for them but they are dirt cheap (I think I got 1kg for $20) and I feel better on them since I've been dieting for a long while now.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesbrah24
Quote:

No, you can absolutely decrease the size of the fibers, but outside of a few lab-controlled animal models, hyperplasia does not occur. If it did, muscle wasting diseases such as muscular dystrophy would not exist. When you increase or decrease muscle mass, it's the size of the cells, not the number. -3X

Ok, I kind of confused on how muscle is built an loss now. When we lift weights it tears on muscle fibers and in turn the muscle fibers get bigger when they heal. I see the muscle fiber as a container that holds water, glycogen, etc. If these tears are permanent then muscle gain is permanent. It's just that the muscle fibers (containers) shrink or enlarge but the overall size of the muscle fiber is permanent. So should I even be paranoid about muscle loss?
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
IMO, no.

The overall size of the muscle is not permanent, and is dependent upon the stresses placed upon it. -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
340762 14 14
destitute