Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingFemale FitnessSplit AdviceTraining Programs

critique my workout15101

thebulkybutch private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all, I’m new on the forum. Looking for critique on my new training program.

Stats: 19 y-o, F, 51kg, 160cm, BF estimate 12%, been lifting for a year.
Trying to growww

weekly schedule: /FULL BODY/rest/FULL BODY/rest/PUSH/PULL/rest/

all 6x6 except deadlifts(1x6), 15s rest between sets, each workout session under 25 min, a la Vince Gironda.

A- PUSH ( in this order):
- cable triceps pushdown
-DB Flat bench
-Squat
-OHP
-Lat Fly

B- PULL (in this order):
- Barbell curl
-wide grip row
-Deadlift (1x6)
-Lat pull down
-DB Shrugs

C-FULL BODY DAY:
Rows, Squat, Bench, DL, OHP, Lat pull down (basically all of the above exercises except the iso ones).

Thanks for looking
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Why only 15s of rest between sets? Doesn't seem like nearly enough for heavy compounds, I also don't see the purpose behind limiting workouts to only 25 mins.

Why not just run either PPL or a dedicated Full Body routine? 12% for a female is damn near your essential body fat limit, are you competing soon?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I wanted to try 15s rest because thats the Vince Gironda method (15 to 30s rest), now ofc I dont plan to do my 6 reps with 6RM weight.
I've been doing full body routines for the past year and wanted to change things up.

EDIT the purpose behind limiting each session to 25 min is that supposedly longer workouts wear out CNS? I always felt tired for days after working out with RM, and Ive always worked out 3x/week, 45min/workout.

No I don't compete, and 12% is an estimate but I def look leaner than when I was at 15%, now I'm just trying to grow.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I came up with that split because my schedule is not very flexible.. so should I drop the push/pull day and replace them with just another full body and a rest day?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Method private msg quote post Address this user
At 12% BF you'd have to be shredded, please post a pic. For a natural lifter I don't see enough rest between working your body parts. You're squatting 3x a week which seems like at lot and hitting legs 4x a week. The routine seems off to me.
Post 5 IP   flag post
sorry forgot to mention I'm not natural.

arent there plenty of people squatting 3x/week, as in StrongLift?

what if I skip the deadlifts..?
Also consider I plan not to work with RMs, but with submaximal reps so I can train more often instead of hitting hard and resting a lot in between workouts..
Post 6 IP   flag post
Method private msg quote post Address this user
I typically only see squats 3x a week full body routine. It was that extra day of dead lift that made me think you were over training a bit. If your not natty then I'd just pay attention to how your body feels and if you feel recovered going into the days training. Still want to see pics cuz at 51KG and 12% BF I wouldn't think your thebulkybucth but theskinnybitch.
Post 7 IP   flag post
LOL! nice one. I won't deny I'm skinny.. but only for now :P
now you guys got me wondering so I guess I'll have to post a "guess my BF" thread.

anyhow, I will forget about the extra deadlift day, and just add another lower back exercise instead. thanks for the tip
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Why are you doing isolation movements (curls and pressdowns) before your compound movements?

There's nothing in the clinical literature to substantiate workouts longer than 25 minutes taxing the CNS. I've never even heard such a thing. There's just no way you're getting adequate recovery between sets with such little rest. I'd also suggest that you're not getting adequate hamstring work vs. the quad work you're doing, which will ultimately lead to knee issues- specifically ACL problems. Finally, I'd consider finding a proven routine from a coach or trainer and utilizing that. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
^^^What EK said

You seem to be misinformed with a lot of bro science. Where did you hear about that routine and the 25 minute workout?

Always do compound lifts before isolation work but warm up properly. Put your deads, squats, bench and rows first.

Your routine kind of sounds like a circuit mixed with a power lifting routine or what I would think a crossfit routine would be like. The problem is that we typically lift in the 6 rep range for strength but if your only taking 15 seconds between sets then your not going to be able to lift very heavy weight for 6 sets of 6 reps. Having said that though I think you will be burning a lot of calories during this short routine and you could still make gains track your progress.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks EK! so do you suggest I do less squat and do some deadlifts to keep things balanced?

As for the other concerns.. this weird method is Vince Girondas'.
The point Gironda makes is that diminishing rest between sets is a form of progressive overload, as is lifting more weight, or changing tempo, in the end it all comes down to adaptation, so any of these will result in hypertrophy.

In the past I have followed all the golden rules religiously, full body 3x/wk, doing compounds first, then assisted, then iso, resting for a minimum of 3min between heavy compound sets. But then many experienced "bros" swear by doing isolation first for pre-exhaustion. All in all I think any theory regarding training or nutrition remains largely speculative.

So there's that, but the no 1 reason why I wanted to give 6x6 a go, is because I want to stay focused when I work out; I abhor waiting for 3, 4, 5 min between sets. It throws me off the right state of mind.
If it were possible to rest less to minimize the total workout length, and still have gains, it would be the ideal for me. Now I'm crossing my fingers for this method to be effective, but it seems not many have reported their experience with it.

Haole, I don't see this as a circuit mixed with powerlifting. I'm pretty sure it's neither.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the insights
Post 11 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Less rest IS a form of overload- but not for hypertrophy. It's a progressive overload for muscular endurance.

Regarding the hams, you really need a knee flexion movement- either glute-ham raises or leg curls. Deads alone are not sufficient to work the hamstrings; they're a knee flexor first and foremost, and a hip extensor secondary. -3X
Post 12 IP   flag post
Gotcha, I'll still try it out then, but just for 2 months. will report on gains (or lack of).

So I changed a few things, iso at the end of the workout, and glute ham raises added on pull days.

(
/FULL BODY/rest/FULL BODY/rest/PUSH/PULL/rest/

A- PUSH ( in this order):
-DB Flat bench
-Squat
-OHP
-Lat Fly
-triceps pushdown

B- PULL (in this order):
-wide grip row
-glute ham raises (<- not sure if lower back will tolerate 6x6 with little rest, will see as I go)
-Lat pull down
-DB Shrugs
-Barbell curl

C-FULL BODY DAY:
Rows, Squat, Bench, DL (1 x 6), OHP, Lat pull down.
)

gtg?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Scotian private msg quote post Address this user
Pics?
Post 14 IP   flag post
queenquebec private msg quote post Address this user
I'd love to see some pics! 12 percent body is ULTRA LEAN for a women, like WAY to lean. Try to get up to 18 percent, your mind will feel better
Post 15 IP   flag post
alright guys and gals, I took some pics tonight.
My guess, again, is that I'm below 15% but let me hear you all on that. I'm not actually sure how to link my pictures on here so please be indulgent :P

WARNING BOOBS.
pics from today, 21-08-2014
clickable text
clickable text
clickable text

I found a picture from may this year. Since then I've lost a lot of weight but also muscle (look at my arm before(link below) vs after(2nd link above))
clickable text

so what's your guess? (and most of all, somebody tell me if the links actually work haha)

thanks!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulkybutch
alright guys and gals, I took some pics tonight.
My guess, again, is that I'm below 15% but let me hear you all on that. I'm not actually sure how to link my pictures on here so please be indulgent :P

WARNING BOOBS.
pics from today, 21-08-2014
clickable text you look way to lean
c lickable text
clickable text

I found a picture from may this year. Since then I've lost a lot of weight but also muscle (look at my arm before(link below) vs after(2nd link above))
clickable text

so what's your guess? (and most of all, somebody tell me if the links actually work haha)

thanks!
you way to lean!! Id say about 12-13 percent fat for SURE. Please gain weight
Post 17 IP   flag post
^thanks for your concern queenquebec I apreciate it

To tell the truth my weightloss was totally unintentional. I was on antibiotics and had digestion issues until recently. I lost about 7kg in 2-3 months, which obviously hurt my training as well. I'm trying to eat a hell of a lot more now.

I'm from montreal, do you live in quebec city?
Post 18 IP   flag post
@thebulkybutch I'm pierrefonds Montreal actually. I live in Lloydminster Alberta now. Quelle age as-tu?
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm 19
Post 20 IP   flag post
@thebulkybutch BUT,I do think your abs look tres jolie, mais il faut que gain 20 pounds. Moi meme je veux prendre 4 kilos, I'm 24 percent fat
Post 21 IP   flag post
@thebulkybutch cool,how long have you been lifting?
Post 22 IP   flag post
a little more than one year. not been natty for long tho
Post 23 IP   flag post
Oh yeah a yr you said. Good job on that!
Post 24 IP   flag post
thanks gtg sleep now, good night
Post 25 IP   flag post
@thebulkybutch Bonne nuit
Post 26 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by haole
^^^What EK said

You seem to be misinformed with a lot of bro science. Where did you hear about that routine and the 25 minute workout?

Always do compound lifts before isolation work but warm up properly. Put your deads, squats, bench and rows first.

It's pretty common although normally you hear 40-45mins. There were bogus studies done back in the day, in or for places like Bulgaria where weightlifting was a big deal. By cutting workouts to 40minutes but often you can completely control your athletes they are at or around the gym all day long.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Nice abs, wouldn't say your unhealthy at that fat %, wouldn't go any lower mind you!
Post 28 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
^ You would be wrong, despite what the healthy and fitness industry want you to believe it's not healthy for a woman to be at that low bodyfat.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGymSheep
^ You would be wrong, despite what the healthy and fitness industry want you to believe it's not healthy for a woman to be at that low bodyfat.

Out of curiosity, can you expand on that?

Not that im doubting you, just want to know more.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340762 49 30
destitute