Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
AbsPHATSplit Advice

neglected core15081

r1c0 private msg quote post Address this user
So I've been running phat since the beginning of the year. Started to get my diet correct,but I noticed I do ZERO core/ab exercises leaving it all to when I contact during squats or heavy lifts. Am I creating a large imbalance between everything? And what movements should I focus on if crunches/sit ups aren't optimal
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Yes you're creating problems. Any and all variations of planks are a good place to start. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
This reminded me how much I like dragon flags. Thank you for reminding me about dragon flags.
Post 3 IP   flag post
jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
It's a pretty long and grueling program as it is if you push yourself don't you think? 25 sets each day working out everything at least twice a week with A LOT of indirect core work.

Eknight, do you really think it's necessary to add an ab workout to PHAT? I mean don't you think they should get some rest time like any other muscle as they are being worked pretty frequently?

If you do what day(s) would you do it and how many sets?
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
How would they not get rest if you are working them twice weekly? I never had a workout run more than an hour when I ran PHAT. I did abs on my leg days. I would do ball crunches, planks for time, planks with shoulder touches (see video), and posterior pelvic tilts, 3 sets each.

-3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
12 sets total?

What are your rest times like for the ab workouts? Do you run through all 4 exercises then rest?

Also, you said your workouts don't go over an hour. What were your rest times like?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Rest times for all exercises are 1 minute, timed using JeFit. You could run through all of them or do them in sets like any other body part- your choice. I prefered to do them like any other. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Even on the power days you did 1 min rest? Even on the compound lifts?

What about the speed work on hypertrophy days?
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Rest times for all exercises are 1 minute, timed using JeFit. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I'm actually very surprised with your 1 minute rest times EK. I've been waiting 3-5 minutes on some sets because I want to feel 100% again before doing big weights (to me at least) on my power days. Perhaps i should lighten up and try shorter rests.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I think the only time I've had rest periods that long is when I was squatting using Smolov. For just about everything else, I train fast. I've done meets where I didn't have much time between lifts, so I got in the habit of training the way I would compete. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
340762 11 11
destitute