Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingFemale FitnessMacrosSupplementsTraining Programs

Cardio, Cutting and Macros15074

Jessi_A private msg quote post Address this user
I began my lifting routine in January of this year and the time has come for me to start shredding the layer of fat on top of my muscle gains.

I lift 5 days a week split routine and have started experimenting with macros however I am new to cutting and would like some proven strategies.

How much cardio should I be doing? (I am currently doing 2-3 HIIT sessions per week around 20 minutes each)

My Current Macros are 50%carbs 25%protein and 25%Fat=2500
I weigh 140lbs at 5ft 5
Body Fat Percentage is around 23-24%

My aim is to get down to 18%BF in 10-12 weeks (I am a fitness professional so have a lot of time to dedicate to achieving this goal)

Any pointers on cutting at all would be very helpful, it is definitely my weak point!
Post 1 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@Jessi_A welcome to SS!

Looks like you're on tbe right track.

What are your cals and how much deficit are you on.

Cardio... I would focus on tracking your cals and limit cardio until you get closer to your goal.
Post 2 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Jessi_A ^^This. And how long have u been lifting weights for ??
Post 3 IP   flag post
Im having 1500cals, on a deficit of 600 currently. I have also been lifting properly since January (on and off) but have been taking it much more seriously over the past 5 weeks.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Jessi_A Who designed ur routine ??
How long are u dieting ? 600cals seems quite a bit..
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
If you're working out using the outlined routine above, 1500 kcals is not nearly enough. Who designed your nutrition plan??? You got guru'd. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
And not go be rude. But if you have to ask these questions I would not call myself a fitness professional.

Anyway. There is the FAQ at the top of the forum list. Give it a read and post whatever questions uou still have in here.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I designed my own routine, I was originally having 1800 but was not cutting fat as quickly as I wanted.

Since cutting down my caloric intake I have not lost any lean muscle and workouts have not been restricted due to low energy or anything.

Solarsuplex, not to be rude but any fitness professional will tell you that there is ALWAYS room for improvement and further learning. If anyone thinks that they are the Einstein of the fitness industry then they are sadly mistaken.
Post 8 IP   flag post
tamere01 private msg quote post Address this user
@Jessi_A
What is a fitness professional? Serious question, is that like a pt, fitness instructor or does it have another meaning
Post 9 IP   flag post
Tamere01, Someone who works in the fitness industry. I am a personal trainer, fitness instructor and do a bunch of other things within the fitness industry which is why I use the term 'fitness professional' because it kind of bundles them all together.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Hmm. I can see why you use that label. But considering your lack of nutritional knowledge... I would refrain from using that for now.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely check out the faq, the only suggestion I have for cutting is not to go below a 500 cal deficit, get enough fiber in your diet, make sure your water intake is sufficient and don't cut for more than 12 weeks starting from your first deficit day (When you drop below maintenance calories)
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
Hmm. I can see why you use that label. But considering your lack of nutritional knowledge... I would refrain from using that for now.

I tend to agree.

OP, as a trainer, you have to have enough basic knowledge of human physiology and biology to understand that you aren't going to be able to sustain what you're doing at that calorie level. It's not only unhealthy, but once you start stalling- and you will- you're going to be starving yourself trying to further your progress. Have you ever actually worked with a dietician or certified nutritionist? -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
Ok, so firstly I had to pass a variety of exams to get to my current status all of which I did incredibly well on. I have a large amount of nutritional knowledge and also sat an exam, again in which I did very well in. I do not need a lecture on what I need to have as a trainer, I am already fully aware as I have undergone all of it.

As a trainer this is me looking for advice on my personal weak spot which is SHORT TERM CUTTING, not an every day thing that you would put a client through. I have done all of the calculations for this and though it is extreme it is not so low that it will affect me long term.

1) I am a 5 ft 4 female cutting over a period of 10 weeks, explain to me what is so bad about 1500cals during this period? my food sources are very wise and the majority of my protein comes from complete sources, I also eat enough carbs and at the right times to fuel my workouts.

2) As I explained, Calories before were 1900 during my cut however I reached a plateau. What happens when you plateau? you step it up a notch which is why I incorporated a further deficit reducing by 100 cals per week. (again for a limited amount of time!!!).

3) I can not stress enough how this is for a limited period of time for an important event, I am more than aware of the stress my body will be under and I DO NOT plan on going any lower than this. I am very aware of my own body and if I need a reefed at any point then I will.

It would seem that the people on these forums are less helpful and more hungry to feed their ego's by slating other people. There is constructive criticism (which is what I came for) and then there is judgmental power-hungry men... I do not need to prove my title, I have achieved great results from clients from all kinds of sports.

Thanks for the help.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
@Jessi_A I just skimmed this thread, but I noticed you said in the beginning that you just started lifting in January, and some of the people giving advice probably have years of experience. Maybe try to look past the way their posts are presented and look at the info they're trying to give you. Remember, how you interpret someone's tone is up to you online, and stuff tends to come off differently than intended.

I don't really think 10 weeks is a short cut. Maybe for someone who has a lot of body fat, but you don't look like you do. A plateau isn't something you break through by "stepping it up a notch", it's what happens when conventional tactics stop working. I think everyone's advice is to help you NOT reach that point.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Also, this has been mentioned in other threads, but a lot of times adding calories back in and reverse dieting for a bit actually helps weight loss for a while, even though it doesn't seem logical.
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
10 weeks is not as "short-term" as you think. You can absolutely cause metabolic damage in that amount of time. You mention eating enough carbs and at the right times- which tells me right off the bat that you don't possess as much nutrition knowledge as you think you do. For one- carb timing is largely irrelevant. Gastrointestinal transit takes 8-10 HOURS after you eat for most foods, so timing your nutrients is immaterial. Secondly, if you are following 50% carbs, then that means under 190 grams a day. No chance in hell you're getting enough fuel for the workouts you're doing. You need 120 grams of glucose just for brain fuel on an average sedentary day.

As a general rule of thumb for my clients- that have included the only Miss Teen USA to ever score a perfect 10/10 in the swimsuit round, so yeah, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing- once you hit calories that are low enough that your well-being and health may suffer, I advise creating a bigger debt through activity, not reducing your fuel intake. It's ALWAYS a better game plan to eat enough to remain healthy and work more than starve yourself and create metabolic issues down the line. Good luck, and be aware we are all here to help, although I feel like you won't take advice that you don't want to hear anyway. -3X
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi_A
2) As I explained, Calories before were 1900 during my cut however I reached a plateau. What happens when you plateau? you step it up a notch which is why I incorporated a further deficit reducing by 100 cals per week. (again for a limited amount of time!!!).

What was ur cardio levels at this stage ??
How much volume was in ur workouts ?? Were u just sticking to a rep range above 10?? Is a mistake which most ladies will make and not training in the low rep ranges.
Post 18 IP   flag post
As @beans said, its hard to distinguish tone over text. Especially when it does seem very harsh (often times it is, but we are all tough here, you included), and we would like to help you.

I guess you are looking to do something the optimal way with not the optimal circumstances. If you had planned to do this maybe 6-8 months earlier, then you could have slowly added to your Kcals so you would have much more to create a deficit from.

Of course you CAN eat a tiny amount and do an insane amount of cardio and probably get the results you want. But at what price? Guess its just a matter of how worth it it is to you.
Post 19 IP   flag post
340614 19 19
destitute