Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbieSplit Advice

Hi all, advice on training program pls14983

chrism private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to have a quick scan on my training and give any advice on changes if possible, as I am looking to lower my body fat and gain muscle.

Height: 5ft11
Weight: 13stone2
Body fat%: 26

at the moment I am eating around 1500cals a day and removed all the shit from my diet whilst keeping track using the myfitnesspal app.

my routine is currently

monday chest:

bench press 3x10
incline press 3x10
dumbbell fly 3x10
dumbbell press 3x10
dumbbell pullover 3x10

tuesday:

60mins walk 15 incline speed 7(recommended by someone in the gym over 20mins of HIIT cycling although I'm not sure which is better?)

Wednesday Back/shoulders:

Lat pulldown 3x10
barbell shrug 3x10
barbell front raise 3x10
seated military press 3x10
dumbell alt front raise 3x10

thursday:

60min walk again

friday legs/abs:

barbell squats 5x5
leg press 3x10
leg curl 3x10
weighted crunches 3x10
dumbbell side bend 3x10

saturday:

60min walk again on 15incline 7 speed

with sunday as my day off.

Lastly, I am sorry for all the information! it's just I am trying to get down to a suitable bf% before i go on holiday in october so any help given will be hugely appreciated thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
I stopped reading after I got to where you said you're eating 1500 calories. You're not going to accomplish anything eating so little. You won't gain muscle and you may lose fat at first, but eventually you'll start losing muscle.

Read the FAQ (it's listed at the top of the board)
And here is link:
http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13958/simply-shredded-faq/

Figure our your real caloric needs then come back here for input.
Post 2 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
Weight: 13stone2

Can you convert this to freedom units?

Also - read the FAQ - http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13958/simply-shredded-faq/

Your split doesn't make much sense... are you familiar with 5x5 (mentioned in the FAQ)
Post 3 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Why are calories so low my brutha? You still gotta actually eat, even on a cut.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Wow.

Read the faq.

Please.

No really.

Please do it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Hi guys thanks for the quick replies, my weight is currently 83kgs mike, I was looking at 5x5 but its only a 3day workout? if so I am hoping to hit the gym 6 times a week.

as for the calories I presumed a big deficit was needed to lose the extra weight, but I am just 'attempting' what wannabemusclar has advised.
Post 6 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Broooooooooosplitttttttt
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
I stopped reading after I got to where you said you're eating 1500 calories. You're not going to accomplish anything eating so little. You won't gain muscle and you may lose fat at first, but eventually you'll start losing muscle.

Read the FAQ (it's listed at the top of the board)
And here is link:
http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13958/simply-shredded-faq/

Figure our your real caloric needs then come back here for input.

Hi mate, just had a go at working out the macros 'if' I done it correctly I worked out that I need

protein 148grams
carbs 500grams
fat 156grams
Post 8 IP   flag post
now that I am wide awake I re-done my macro's and I think they are correct lol, but when I put them in myfitnesspal it says I should be eating around 4k cals a day this surely can't be correct? total beginner at this stuff! my goal is to just get to around 17% bf from 25% for October then when I return set a new goal.
Post 9 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
now that I am wide awake I re-done my macro's and I think they are correct lol, but when I put them in myfitnesspal it says I should be eating around 4k cals a day this surely can't be correct? total beginner at this stuff! my goal is to just get to around 17% bf from 25% for October then when I return set a new goal.

Sounds way off. You should be around 2500kcal. 2100-ish to cut down.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Aspire2Inspire private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in a similar position to you. High BF% and looking to build strength.

I recommend SL 5x5. It's simple to follow, good for progression and setting yourself up to gain and get results.

Follow the advice above. Read the FAQ, learn how to calculate and track your calories and use that make progress. Any questions following on from that, this group of people will help you learn and motivate and inspire you to push for your goals.

Working for me so far.

Getting the results you want is a marathon not a sprint. Keep that in mind. Many of us, myself in the past included, think too short-term.
Post 11 IP   flag post
kickinchicken, as of today I am aiming for 2k cals thanks I am going to massively increase my carb intake I was nowhere near what was needed the macros was a great help! I was on a low low low carb diet.

Aspire2Inspire thanks bro I've looked at 5x5 but Its only 3 days a week? If you got spare time could you look over my routines at top and see what you think of them? thanks bro!

I knew I was clueless that's why I signed up to the forums, all help so far has been massively appreciated!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I've looked at 5x5 but Its only 3 days a week? If you got spare time could you look over my routines at top and see what you think of them? thanks bro!

What is wrong with working out 3x per week? More is certainly not always better.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Less is more! My opinions and beliefs have changed massively getting involved with this community.

I honestly thought, I knew what I was doing, yet my results were no where near what some of these members have achieved and are achieving.

SL5x5 is 3 days a week. I am half way through it first time around and you will start to understand the benefit of a rest day and the way in which this program is designed.

I play football 2-3 times a week, but I see it as more of a social activity over a cardio workout. It all helps towards my personal goals of attaining a lower % BF and building up my strength.

3 days a week is plenty. First few weeks will seem, if anything, too easy. The weights are light and the temptation to add more weight is there. Resist it, go slow and you'll be amazed what you can achieve in 12 weeks and you'll wonder what progress you could make in 24 weeks.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I was training 6 days a week as a way to avoid going to the pub with work colleagues haha, the gym was a good excuse! but 5x5 is my new routine aspire2inspire just downloaded the app taking your advice! on the off days is it ok to still do the 60min incline walks?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Personally, I have had much better results from doing HIIT than SSC, which I guess your 60 min walks would fall under.

Initially, I would just stick to a calorie deficit to see how my weight loss goes. That's what I've picked up from other threads and posts. Use the cardio workouts later down the line, when the weight loss slows down.

P.S. Don't add or change the program whatsoever. It's a tried and tested program, that works.
Post 16 IP   flag post
thanks bro, 5x5 is the way forward then with HIIT

thanks for all the comments!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Start a training log. It will keep you motivated, your questions will be answered and you and other members can track your progress.
Post 18 IP   flag post
quick update, 2 weeks on using the training programme above but upping my calories to around 1800-2000cals and using the macro guide. I've managed to get down to 21.3% bf in 14 days so quite pleased with that.. upping my cals helped a lot I have more energy and don't rarely feel hungry.

LONG way to go my target is between 14-17% by xmas!

thanks for all the advice above and yeh even though i was pessimistic upping my calories actually helped haha
Post 19 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

at the moment I am eating around 1500cals a day and removed all the shit from my diet whilst keeping track using the myfitnesspal app.

There's no "shit" in a diet actually. And you're doing too much cardio. You should only increase the frequency of cardio when you stall on fat loss while "dieting".
I'll turn anorexic at 1500. FAQ please.
Post 20 IP   flag post
dark, I have read the FAQ and took it all on board and my diet was shit(lots of take aways/sweets) but now its far better lol and after taking in the advice from the FAQ and members on this post I am no longer eating 1500 much higher!
Post 21 IP   flag post
340609 21 21
destitute