Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingMacrosPHAT

Just a little bit of Q&A -gtfih and win reps14965

Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
I can't work out right now but I've been making all sorts of plans and spreadsheets to make the transition back into lifting as smooth as possible but I just have some questions.
I have a general idea of the answers but I would rather be sure before I experiment.

1)Has anyone used Layne Norton's suggestion of increasing metabolic capacity? Will that new maintenance become your permanent maintenance through bulks and cuts despite no changes in weight?

2)I plan on returning to lifting by running Strong lifts until I either Plateau or the DOMS no longer bothers me after workouts as it did previously. Suggestions on length of time?
Also in regards to strong lifts, I planned on including 5-6 sets of Core and Oblique (alternating each work out) work as well as possibly 3 sets of direct Glute work with a form of bridges. Suggestions or opinions on the plan?

3) In my log I have pictures of how my cast arm has definitely atropied and im sure my dip from 165 to 148 is caused by muscle loss or atropy. How would you suggest alleviating this to prevent muscular imbalances as well as keeping 1 arm from becoming huge and dominant in my barbell exercises? I was thinking use DBs for possible upper body exercises so my non-dominant arm can't over power my cast arm

4) Top suggestions for core work? I'm not trying to build an amazing 6 pack but a solid/strong mid section can and HAS benefitted me greatly in the Big3. I was thinking RKC planks and Normal planks for my "Core" days and Cable Wood Choppers and DB Side Bends for my "oblique " days

5) I'm definitely bulking once I can start lifting. I was going to calculate a new BMR for 3 days lifting when I start strong lifts up and SLOWLY add a 100 cal surplus. I don't plan on increasing my surplus until I reach a plateau.
When I start PHAT back up, would I calculate a new BMR again and just add the previous surplus to that our slowly work my way back up again?

(BONUS QUESTION)

I was going to make a thread dedicated to this question but I might as well use this one -

I remember that Body Fat% can effect the way you bulk and cut - but upon searching for reasons WHY I can only find that there's differences in hormone production in things like Estrogen and Testosterone.
My question is, at what BF% range does your hormone production start being affected? Does bf% have any other effects other than psychological? What effects do BF% have on the process of bulking and cutting other than metabolic differences?

Any and all thoughts or suggestions would win you reps and appreciation.😁
Post 1 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
I am short for time and only feel well positioned the answer question 1 I'm afraid Frosty.

Yes. Put it this way. As an unenlightened one I couldn't lose weight at 155 lbs despite having a net calorie consumption of >1500 a day. I currently weigh 114 lbs and I'm trying to lean bulk. On non-active days I can consume 2900 calories and in fact I'm currently struggling to put on weight. This may not be honest as 3-5 days a week I do active physical work but on these days I eat upward of 3800-4000 calories.

Not sure how well this answers your question but yes, I believe Layne is right. As a 144 lbs male I can sit on my arse all day and eat 2900 calories whilst experiencing only minor weight gain. At 155 lbs I was starving myself and doing 2+ hours of cardio a day yet would lose less than 1 lb a week. Anecdotal evidence but determine from it what you may matey.
Post 2 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
Just checking in for free reps.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
1) Never tried it, so can't comment.

2)Try stronglifts BUT if you can after bench press do some accessory work with dumbells to prevent imbalances, if you can and have suitable weight intervals on dumbells try do the bench routine with dumbells.
regarding length of time, ideally until you plateau, but I know that isn't always possible so until you get bored really.

3) Yes, use dumbells where possible.

4)Definitely planks for core, not so sure about side bends and wood choppers, @ekinght would probably be ab le to give better feedback on safe exercises.

5) For the bulking surplus, add 100 until you plateau on SL, then add more, likewise if you were on PHAT, and try Layne metabolic capacity increasing method, no point recalculating BMR, just add calories IMO.

6) Bonus question... I don't have a clue, sorry, hope i've helped somewhat.
Post 4 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Uhhhh
Post 5 IP   flag post
Highdeas private msg quote post Address this user
I are too stooopid to answer these questions, sorry friend
Post 6 IP   flag post
rklohe private msg quote post Address this user

Post 7 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Frostshock
1) no idea
2) sounds good, 3-4months, Core work twice weekly should be sufficient...

3) Single arm movements if one is weaker just keep using the same weight in the strong arm until the weak arm catches up.

4)here's some suggestions

Also ab rollouts.

5)one thing i've learned calculations are bollox... u gotta trial and error cause everyone is different, diff lives, diff activity levels, diff metab's.. the lot mate.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Rawn private msg quote post Address this user

Post 9 IP   flag post
@cardinal Awesome! I was going to try it out myself either way but knowing that it works at least is great. Do you think after I calculate a new BMR after I start training again I should simply add how much I increased my metabolism by to my new maintenance?

@eventheodds1 And so free reps were given!

@WinnersNeverQuit 1)It happens, I didn't expect many people to know that one haha
2)Yeah I was thinking of doing Flat DB benching and bodyweight work like pulls/chins to kind of even out my anterior to posterior work as well as strengthen my arm.
4)Definitely, I know planks also hit obliques but I was thinking more direct work to them by using weighted exercises would allow me to work the core every other day rather than doing core work in 3 day intervals despite being home instead of the gym.
5)True, the point of calculating a new BMR when I switch from a 3 day to a 5 day though is to prevent me from unintentionally sitting at a deficit for a week or so. I may keep my surplus from SL5x5 when I start PHAT for a week or 2, and depending on my weight gain/loss adjust calories accordingly?
Bonus) It's no problem man, definitely helped a lot and provided additional information to base my next training routine off of, thanks a ton!

@SRorhrbac0808 Reps were given for the interest and taking the time to read the questions anyway sir!

@Highdeas Shit happens dude, thanks for the read at least!

@rklohe Thanks for providing my response when I ask myself these questions lol

@FiremanSi 2)3-4 months, NICE! Also only twice per week rather than every workout? I could cut it down to ONLY core work as well, Planks supposedly hit the obliques anyway,
3)Nice! Any examples of single arm exercises or just simply using Dumbbells for applicable Compounds during SL and DB's for PHAT?
4)Awesome, I could even do those along with my Physio stretches since there is no weight involved! I'll consult my physio to make sure I wont wreck anything before I start them. Also I keep forgetting about ab rollouts, they KILL my abs so I really should include them on one of my days
5)Very true, I was just looking for sort of a general number to base my maintenance/surplus off of for the next phase of my bulk
Thanks for the responses and thought put into them man!

@Rawn Carrying a plate in the rain and hungry for reps? They shall be served!!!!!

Lets get @eknight in here to school me in science now
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Frostshock Iso lateral rows, db rows, single arm db curls... just try all pressing and pulling exercises with db's for now mate... if u need ideas for back or chest or shoulder db exercises and that let me know.
Post 11 IP   flag post
MMB private msg quote post Address this user
Layme is sure right, I should do it also cause before I lacked of work I was consuming 3200cals to steadily gain and I am now gaining somewhere between 2900-3000.

For your cast arm, dumbell solution seems the best but I think strenght wise it'll come back as strong as the other arm pretty fast.

Planks well, you can try different ways to make your body unstable when planking so your whole core will work to be sure you stay straight. I started doing them with my arms on a kind of BOSU ball instead of being the ground. It really adds a difficulty.

Bonus question, I don't know at all but interesting topic!
Post 12 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
this feels like a test

Post 13 IP   flag post
ezvmoneybeast private msg quote post Address this user
Post 14 IP   flag post
Question #1 is now CLOSED
It's been answered by the fucking man himself, Senor Norton

Metabolic capacity increase begins today!!! I'll continue to increase my metabolic capacity DURING my bulk. So I'll increase my new maintenance by 100, wait 2 weeks and as soon as weight gain stalls I will begin slowly increasing my capacity by 5-10g carbs UNTIL I plateau in the big 3. Once I plateau, wait 1-2 weeks depending on weight gain/loss and just add 100 calories to my new "surplus". My surplus and new metabolic base will be tracked separately to make sure my next cut is accurate.

@FiremanSi I try to stay away from machines in regards to iso lateral rows =/ Also, for DB rows they are included in my routine using a bench, what about Pendlay or Yates BORs with Dumbbells?
I'm actually TOO Upper body heavy when I planned my PHAT template so now I'm working on keeping my hamstring/quad work even while also evening out my Upper-to-Lower ratios, New template is going up in my log as soon as I'm finished with it!

@MMB Yeah right now it looks like DB and bodyweight exercises are going to have to be my accessories for some amount of time. I've tried wide, elevated and 1 leg raised normal planks and usually none really kill my core as much as 10 seconds of RKC planks but I'll definitely give it a shot!
Haha I was actually thinking of making a thread to ask about it but figured all of my questions could take up space in one thread.

@GrizzlyBerg I'm testing your knowledge of Liftenomics 101!!

@ezvmoneybeast
Post 15 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
YEAH BRO QUIT THINKING.

I am totes in for the BF question as i would like to know the answer to that aswell.

In regards to stronglifts: if you have energy for the first few weeks atleast. On OHP day, toss in some calfs and ham curls. on bench and row day, that is where the dips and pullups come in.

Main thing is to be careful because OHP and pullups kind of hate one another, then with the heavy bench days and dips. Your delts get hit A LOT and may need some rest. Especially after not doing much for a while. Use this time to get some of dat der stamina back. Do some front and side raises with books and shit. Super light, 2x20 or something throughout the day.
Post 16 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklohe

Hahahahahahahahah I'm Rollin
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklohe

Hahahahahahahahah I'm Rollin

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostshock
what about Pendlay or Yates BORs with Dumbbells?

No.
ps. ur waaaaaaaaaaay overthinking ur metabolism and it's not like u i don't understand why.
Normally u'd refer someone with this Q to the Sticky.
Post 19 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user

Post 20 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Most of the questions have been covered. I have no idea about the bonus one, but to add to the abs question- learning to abdominal brace during any and all movements is the start, then every possible plank you can find for direct work. Woodchops and crunches- but only about the first third of the ROM are good for flexion/rotation movements. -3X
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Frostshock Also Plato Press is solid for core work and core stabilisation.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi Okay that's what I figured, I have no clue how one would BOR or Pendlay with DBs lol
I've got all day to think now so I tend to overdo it a bit now lol.
Plato Press? What is?

@oceanair

@eknight again, way too much overthinking on simple training routines and methods of evening out deficiencies. Abs - Okay that makes sense, I might just do RKC planks with different side planks then. Again I'm not trying to build a magnificent 6pack but if core work will increase my stability/power on the big 3 I see absolutely no harm in including some.

I have a rough idea for the answers to all of the questions now, I'm thinking for the bonus I'm just going to take Eric Helms' suggestion of bulking based on plateaus rather than weight gain. I don't really care if I get chunky but I don't want to bulk inefficiently just for the sake of weight gain and just have to cut it all off anyway.
Thanks for the help everyone! Reps all around!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
hollyhopeful5678 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn

OMG REGGIE!! So funny you found this!! I love this movie; nice find, bro.
Post 24 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
I wish I could answer fitness questions, but ...

The truth is...

...i just eat and lift
Post 25 IP   flag post
Rawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhopeful5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn

OMG REGGIE!! So funny you found this!! I love this movie; nice find, bro.

Glad someone knew who it was
Post 26 IP   flag post
simply_michael private msg quote post Address this user
from someone who is constantly injured .. all i can say is i did "barbie and ken" aka planet fitness weights for a while and if one thing i could pass on is do shoulder mobility .. Period just do one exercies every upper body day . You will be up to speed in no time if do mobility excercise at least one for shoulder and one for whatever body part u hurt . Do something different each upper body workout ..but i am just a injured A hole with little knowledge ..

this is the golden cow for me .. putting them on lower , so it works pretty much bi tri shoulders everything . anyhow ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dseNQb_XlEk

12 injuries including dislocation of shoulder 9 times .. btw last time i dislocated shoulder (post surgery) . i set it back in place myself in front of a trainer and manager (whilst they whinced in pain ) and then did legs and biked 10 miles .. like a boss

only masters i have is in not giving up and keep training ..and not giving a Fukc lifting barbie weights (2 pounders) till i am where i am now .. rinse and repeat double major
Post 27 IP   flag post
@simply_michael thanks, I actually used to do and still do tons of not only shoulder mobility but full body mobility. My physio advised me not to do Limber 11 Because of my arm but gave me a list of "okayed" stretches as well as alternates to increase my mobility while fighting boredom. My IT Bands are really tight as well so I have a leg mobility routine as well but shoulder dislocations were okayed for me to do with a PVC pipe and they've worked wonders!

I always did them before but with rods and screws in my arm it's much more difficult 😅
Post 28 IP   flag post
h3r3 4 r3pz
Post 29 IP   flag post
Aspire2Inspire private msg quote post Address this user
@FiremanSi You pull out some damn good vids bro!
Post 30 IP   flag post
340630 31 30
destitute