Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestSplit Advice

Mind muscle connection for chest14946

Hamer93 private msg quote post Address this user
Of late I haven't been able to feel a good connection my pectorals, the only exercises I really feel the stretch and contraction in is cable flies. Today in bench press I was feeling it in biceps!?! Not like a contraction but a stretch/strain.

Can anybody offer any advice?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
How much do you warm up? Sometimes I have a hard time getting muscles firing on all cylinders for lifts like squats and bench. Before I do any compound movements, I usually do some really light movements and concentrate on contracting muscles.

For bench, before I even do warmup bench sets, I do some flies with 5 lb plates in my hand, go really slowly and just squeeze my chest. Before squats, I do some really light hamstring curls. Engaging the pecs and hamstrings during compound lifts becomes much more natural when I've concentrated on targeting them for a good 5-10 minutes already.
Post 2 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Hamer93 where u gripping the bar??
Also doesn't sound like ur getting the arch or completely retracting ur scapular prior to the lift.
Some people are strong enough to bench the weight but scaps aren't strong enough to hold the position when they unravel the weight !!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Why would this connection be needed for tits n bench? It's not like they won't have to work either way.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hamer93 private msg quote post Address this user
@beans that's a good idea. I was thinking of warming with some real light flies but the wondered if it was pointless and wether to just warm up with light bench.

@firemansi my arch is good, irl try get a video soon. I make sure scap is retracted and sort of slide/push the bar off the hooks.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
@Hamer93 Yeah I don't use them so much for a "warm up" as much as I do finding that connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Why would this connection be needed for tits n bench? It's not like they won't have to work either way.

I can see your point, but I also know what he means. Sometimes when I bench, deadlift or squat, stuff just doesn't feel quite right unless I find that connection with all of my muscles. When I do, and stuff is firing on all cylinders, my workouts are significantly better.
Post 6 IP   flag post
swollenscott private msg quote post Address this user
Things that worked for me include:
- pre-exhaust on machine flye, suspension straps or cable flyes.
- Strong stable base with te scapular retracted.
- pushing your hands together throughout the entire range of the movement whilst holding the barbell aka overemphasis the adduction thinking. Ben pakulski explains it well
Post 7 IP   flag post
340764 7 7
destitute