Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CardioHigh Intensity TrainingHITPHATTraining Programs

HIT (high intensity training)14936

goginski private msg quote post Address this user
I'm curious if anyone on here practices HIT. I do and love it. Just don't do it every workout per body part but rather every other workout alternating with higher volume each time. Thanks for any input if you do HIT.
Post 1 IP   flag post
leanr0x private msg quote post Address this user
yea i follow HIT with RPT style which is highly promoted by martin berkhan
Post 2 IP   flag post
ok, thanks. I'll check out Martin.
Post 3 IP   flag post
ghay private msg quote post Address this user
I've started mixing HIIT and drop sets
Just try and keep a high rate of work nothing fancy, it's where we get circuit training and such
So far I've never had any complaints
Post 4 IP   flag post
high intensity interval training is something entirely different but you gotta do what works for you for your needs. I myself, really like HIT because it is short. Only 20-25 min. each workout. Infrequent workouts with strict form with Intensity replaces volume of many sets. Here's an example of my recent chest, back, triceps and side delt workout that took 20 min:

CHEST (high intensity style) - incline flyes - 40 lbs 1 x 6 super setted with wide dips (body weight) x 2,1,1,1,1,1,1 (this was done doing very slow repetions with 3 sec. positives and 4 sec. negatives. The dips were done using rest-pause of 10 sec. rest between each rep. If done correctly, this super set is very effective and much harder than it reads and will stimulate growth). Each exercise in the super set was done to failure.

BACK (high intensity style) - dumbbell pullovers - 65 lbs 1 x 6, wide pullups 1 x 4 with 20 lbs strapped on for 1st rep, 10 lbs for next 3 reps. Each rep done very slow in rest-pause fashion.

TRICEPS (lighter weight/higher reps) - dumbbell kickback - 12 lbs 1 x 12

SIDE DELTOID (lighter weight/higher reps) - dumbbell lateral raise on incline bench - 17 lbs 1 x 12

the next workout of these body parts will be higher reps with chest and back and HIT with triceps and side delt and so on.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
I've only ever done doggcrapp style of HIT before and enjoyed it, do I believe it's optimal, probably not
Post 6 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Dam bro. You are ripped to shreds holy crap
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnersNeverQuit
I've only ever done doggcrapp style of HIT before and enjoyed it, do I believe it's optimal, probably not
well, it's not for everyone. You have to acquire a taste for it and be in the right frame of mind (It's probably more mental than physical). Otherwise, it's useless. I use the HIT principles in every other workout per body part and am sore for several days afterwards so I know it's effective for me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoleAnimal
Dam bro. You are ripped to shreds holy crap
thanks man. Ya, the diet (with 16 hour/day intermittent fasting) determines my leanness and the workouts (along with diet) determine the muscle size/shape.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Also, on my abdominal days, each section (upper, lower, obliques) are only done in 1 set of 12 repetitions (36 reps total) every 6 days. That's it. Again, intensity and form are key with abdominals along with diet of course.
Post 10 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I must say, your face does not change from picture to picture.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
I must say, your face does not change from picture to picture.
I'm sorry, not sure what you mean by that.
Post 12 IP   flag post
jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
lol

your face expression is the exact same in every shot

I do hit maybe twice a week but I'll take a day off if I don't feel like it.

I do 10 min 1 / 2 split. usually 40 second sprint, 20 second rest.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja0016
lol

your face expression is the exact same in every shot

I do hit maybe twice a week but I'll take a day off if I don't feel like it.

I do 10 min 1 / 2 split. usually 40 second sprint, 20 second rest.
ha ha ok ya that's right. I haven't mastered the art of smiling while in full flex mode. Gotta start doing that more. Which style of HIT do you do? Twice a week sounds like Darden or Drew Baye? 1 set per body part?
Post 14 IP   flag post
I like sprints. I feel I get the most from them. I'm always dieing after a HIT session, feels great. I don't follow a set routine, I just do it for the cardiovascular health, and stamina.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Do you mean High intensity interval training? The cardio work? Mine is with weights.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Yea.. my bad lol
Post 17 IP   flag post
Hamersmash private msg quote post Address this user
Hey!

@goginski, I'm a big-time promoter of 'Real' HIT. I've read all Mentzer's stuff and can't fault a thing he says.

I was never so big, dense(Can't emphasize that enough) and strong as when I really committed to HIT.

It's a really hard thing to do coz it's so outwith the norm, I literally got paranoid and worried that I was losing my gains due to lack of volume. I had read Arnie's Encyclopaedia back to front and had been using it for god knows how long. I will admit, I made good gains from it.
I stagnated and looked into other styles and found Mike Menzter, Dorian Yates and HIT (Heavy Duty). After I read that, it was game over. No shit. I had been stuck in the same volume bullsh1t for years and was making no progress.

I Can't emphasize enough the gains I made in both strength and size.

Nowadays I do roughly 4 to 6 weeks volume followed by 4 to 6 weeks HIT. At a time. It's awesome coz the HIT really builds strength quick then after the 4 - 6 weeks of it you're reppin' a higher weight for more reps on your volume weeks. It really helps me make continuous progress.

All in All I can't emphasize HIT enough.

Like I said, anyone interested let me know and i'll send u the original Heavy Duty by Mike Mentzer himself. Trust me I've done awesome off that shit. Fuck look at Dorian Yates!! Your Forearms (without direct training) will thank you
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamersmash
Hey!

@goginski, I'm a big-time promoter of 'Real' HIT. I've read all Mentzer's stuff and can't fault a thing he says.

I was never so big, dense(Can't emphasize that enough) and strong as when I really committed to HIT.

It's a really hard thing to do coz it's so outwith the norm, I literally got paranoid and worried that I was losing my gains due to lack of volume. I had read Arnie's Encyclopaedia back to front and had been using it for god knows how long. I will admit, I made good gains from it.
I stagnated and looked into other styles and found Mike Menzter, Dorian Yates and HIT (Heavy Duty). After I read that, it was game over. No shit. I had been stuck in the same volume bullsh1t for years and was making no progress.

I Can't emphasize enough the gains I made in both strength and size.

Nowadays I do roughly 4 to 6 weeks volume followed by 4 to 6 weeks HIT. At a time. It's awesome coz the HIT really builds strength quick then after the 4 - 6 weeks of it you're reppin' a higher weight for more reps on your volume weeks. It really helps me make continuous progress.

All in All I can't emphasize HIT enough.

Like I said, anyone interested let me know and i'll send u the original Heavy Duty by Mike Mentzer himself. Trust me I've done awesome off that shit. Fuck look at Dorian Yates!! Your Forearms (without direct training) will thank you
thanks for the info and your experience with HIT. So that's nice you do HIT and volume too but different pattern than me. Non HIT people say Yates got all injured because of HIT, well, Yate denies it was from HIT and says he was just being careless regarding his triceps tear and biceps tear to name a few of his injuries. I'm gonna keep doing it. It is free of injury if you do a warm up and on the work sets do it slow and controlled. That's how NOT to get injured.
Post 19 IP   flag post
leanr0x private msg quote post Address this user
@goginski i would say it is the form which keeps you away from injury not the speed of the working set
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanr0x
@goginski i would say it is the form which keeps you away from injury not the speed of the working set
yes, I agree. It's strict controlled form with no momentum.
Post 21 IP   flag post
340733 21 21
destitute