Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

5 weeks into PHAT- lost 10Lbs14922

Zane_Lewis private msg quote post Address this user
solid 5 weeks into PHAT and i have slowly been increasing my caloric intake every week. i just came off of a fad diet and of course gained much fat due to my lack of fat intake. started this journey at 185Lbs. I am now 175Lbs. strength increases are definatley the priority. my PHAT routine is from dr. layne norton. ive critiqued it a bit due to my injuries. i am in the united states marine corps and because of this we physically train (run and sprint and hike) around 3-4 times a week. this does not go well with training. seeing is how i like to do 1 hit session a week. 16min. my knee and shoulder are shot. not a problem i wont stop trying. before my knee i was about 1 week into PHAT and was squatting around 360 for 5. (deep). i now can barley do over 225lbs 0ver 5 reps without my knee giving out (deep). i can parralell box squat 375 for 5, right now. should i keep the weight, or start form 0 and get my movement back? also. hypertrophy days i go deeo regaurdless. i dont really worry about the weight i just focus on form, contraction and explosion.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
And? Are you asking a question? Haha
Post 2 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
stick with above parallel, i'm sure if you ask the science behind it @eknight will drop in but basically anything more than 100 degrees(?) knee flexion just causes unnecessary stress, only reason to go deeper really is if you want to compete in powerlifting, stick with the box squats IMO
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
And? Are you asking a question? Haha
should i just keep my weight low, and squat lightly below 90 degrees? or should i keep my weight up and squat 90 or above?
Post 4 IP   flag post
@WinnersNeverQuit ive known about the unecessary stress, and always told others it was not the logical way to train. My damn pride is what gets me. Your opinion is greatly appreciated and valued. I will stick with 90.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Well your edit made me look stupid, sorry haha. Please ignore my first post.

I agree with above as far as depth goes. Also, nothing wrong with a form audit every once in a while. A couple of times a year I drop some weight and make sure I have everything in order. If you start at 225 and struggle to progress, it would actually be more beneficial to start at 200 and up it 5 lbs every week. You'll pass 225 in no time.

Also, have you talked to a doctor about the injuries? (I'm sure you have talked to someone) If you're that hurt, it would probably be worth looking into rehab, not lifting heavy.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Beans haha its cool brother. yeah i get that, i just needed some other opinions on the matter. Knowing me, if i went in today and squatted, i would have went deep and hurt myself even more. thank you for your opinion!
Post 7 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
@Zane_Lewis what the fuck do you have to prove to anyone, I mean christ you're in the marines, that puts you physically above probably 95% of the population in terms of fitness, what's the point of squatting deeper knowing it could damage your knees, and as a result directly impact your ability to do your job?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@WinnersNeverQuit haha! the marine corps is a competition in itself man. if you are not the best, then you are ignored and forgotten. The marines in the gym i go to squat deep. I showed em who squats more. Although now i am the one thats injured. I take what you have to say to heart. I guess it just took one more person to tell me to stop being silly and lift healthy.
Post 9 IP   flag post
340762 9 9
destitute