Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Home GymLegsSplit AdviceSquats

Are squats all they are cracked up to be?14902

Dexdbest private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys... Good afternoon(its noon here)
I am currently in my third year of training and have absolutely no idea what routine to follow... My training equipment is deadly limited and I have no idea what to do. I was contemplating starting a pure squat routine, maybe with some power snatches,bench presses and bb rows added in and I was wondering if I could make strong gains on consistent, high rep squatting, many coaches and even tom plat himself claim that the cure for any weak body part is squatting. I need your opinions on this please. Thanks as you help
P.s: for those who think I'm just being a pussy I could post a picture of where I train and you can see for yourself how serious things are.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You gotta work with what you have. High rep squats are better than no squats at all. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@Dexdbest why dont u let us know exactly what u have access to and we can give some programming suggestions. If your goal is purely to add size, you can deff achieve this with limited equipment (i only have access to adjustable dumbbells, adjustable bench, pull up bar, straight and zbar ~ and im making gains). But if your goal is strength, then of course u do need access to more weight.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Brian I have access to a 110lb barbell.. I attach bag of rocks to make it heavier but that also makes it very shaky. I also use said bag of rocks as dumbbells... My current goal is size mostly and some strength.
@eknight I was just wondering if high rep squats are effective for adding mass to the body
Post 4 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
@Dexdbest definitely man. Attack that shit
Post 5 IP   flag post
tamere01 private msg quote post Address this user
@Dexdbest
IF you progress in weight in the same rep range you can add mass to your legs so if that's what your asking then yes you can but I'm sure your core or another thing will give out before your legs so high rep squats isn't the best way.

But it seems you're asking if squats will add mass to all body parts? Then no squats wont add mass to any place else except your legs.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamere01
@Dexdbest
IF you progress in weight in the same rep range you can add mass to your legs so if that's what your asking then yes you can but I'm sure your core or another thing will give out before your legs so high rep squats isn't the best way.

But it seems you're asking if squats will add mass to all body parts? Then no squats wont add mass to any place else except your legs.

I don't agree. If your core is weak it will eventually build up and become stronger. Se with your back. If your back gives out it will eventually keep getting stronger and will most likely gain mass.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Dexdbest

That sucks... People really hype the mass building qualities of the squat
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RudeCrew
Quote:
@Dexdbest

I don't agree. If your core is weak it will eventually build up and become stronger. Se with your back. If your back gives out it will eventually keep getting stronger and will most likely gain mass.

I agree 100% what ever the weak point is will get stronger but lets say the back is the weak point theres a point in the sets where you can still handle more reps due to the weight not being that heavy but form is getting sloppy leaving with the choice between not fully working your legs (because you can do more) or doing sloppy reps which will probably build up bad technique.

And I'm not sure if squats would build mass on your core(genuinely unsure on this point) seeing as your not really contracting any specific muscle while maintaining a neutral spine. I mean contracting the abs fully would round your back and contracting the lower back would cause hyper extension.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@tamere01 you can contract your abs with a full upright position. You don't have to go into flexion to contract your abs and when I said back I was talking more about upper back and spinal erectors. Look at Russian power lifters that pretty much train exclusively with the power lifts and don't train with a bunch of accessory lifts like the US power lifters. Those dudes are jacked from just dead lifting, squatting and benching. Sure they are training heavy but I think even with higher reps it would carryover a bit.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexdbest
Quote:
@Dexdbest

That sucks... People really hype the mass building qualities of the squat

That's because some people still believe (incorrectly) that squats have such an effect on hormone production that there is a carryover to other body parts or the body as a whole. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
@_RudeCrew You sir make a valid point
Post 12 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
I never train core directly. My abdominal are always on fire after squats, deads and bench
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Dexdbest

So like some of the others mentioned, squats are not going to get you a big chest, arms, shoulders etc. There might be a small carry over to those muscles, but nothing really noticeable and definitely not what you are looking for.

So my advice for a routine to follow for you, given your goal to get bigger and limited equipment, would be to follow a Pulling/Pushing routine. 4 days a week (2 on, Wednesday off, 2 on, weekend off) I will list some of the exercises that you can do.

PULLING: All pulling movements

Back: Pull ups (You must be able to find somewhere to do these); Chin ups; Barbell rows; Single arm rows; Single arm rows using Barbell (like a landmine row); Inverted Rows (use a table etc); High pull with a wide grip (all u need is the barbell and search about this exerciseon google/tnation)

Hamstrings: Romanian deadlift with BB; SLDL with BB; Single leg RDL or SLD; Single leg hip/glute raise - with back on the floor and one foot on the edge of a chair)

Rear delts: Make shift weight (rocks etc), rear delt raise

Shrugs: BB or other

Biceps: BB curls; Spider curls; drag curls; chin ups etc

Abs: Any

PUSHING

Quads: BB lunges: BB walking Lunges: BB step ups; Sissy squats (one of my favorites); BB hack squats; single leg squat, etc

Chest: BB floor press elbows at 45 degrees); BB floor neck press (Careful); Push ups (weighted if needs be; and try with feet on a chair); Make shift bench incline BB press; Svendt press (using 2 small plates or other medium/light items)

Shoulders: BB OHP; Side laterals; Upright row BB (Rear delts trained on pulling day)

Triceps: BB skulls; BB overhead extensions; Dips on a chair (weighted if needed); Kickback with makeshift DB's

Calves: BB calve raise with toes on a thin plank

SO there are some suggestions. I love the pulling/pressing routine. Let's you train everything twice a week, and I like breaking legs up - but for those who do heavy squats, it might not be a great idea.

PROGRESSION: Well adding weight will not be an option for you for a number of exercises. But that doesn't matter, there are many ways to progress when your goal is size!

* Tempo: Slow down your negatives - try using a slow 4 second negative on your lifts, no pause at the bottom, powerful push/pull, and then back into the 4 second negative. Big increase in TUT, and even 30% of your normal weight will be challenging

* Reps: be happy working in the 10 + rep range. Using the slow negatives will help light weight make you fail a lot earlier than you think, and you may find that you have more than enough weight to train effectively

* Intention: With BB press, try squeeze your hands together (hands don't move), this places a lot of tension on your chest, you keep squeezing your hands inwards as you bench, and add this to slow negatives, even lightweight will be hard to move for more than 10 reps

* Rest periods: If you reduce rest period time and still hit the same reps you did before = progression

Anyway, these are some of my thoughts. I truly think you can build an impressive physique with the limited equipment you have if you get your program right and eat a lot!
Post 14 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
I don't particularly enjoy squats. Walking lunges are more fun/painful. But I still squat.
Post 15 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
@brian12 Reps for a solid and informative post. Keep it up brother.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12
@Dexdbest

So like some of the others mentioned, squats are not going to get you a big chest, arms, shoulders etc. There might be a small carry over to those muscles, but nothing really noticeable and definitely not what you are looking for.

So my advice for a routine to follow for you, given your goal to get bigger and limited equipment, would be to follow a Pulling/Pushing routine. 4 days a week (2 on, Wednesday off, 2 on, weekend off) I will list some of the exercises that you can do.

PULLING: All pulling movements

Back: Pull ups (You must be able to find somewhere to do these); Chin ups; Barbell rows; Single arm rows; Single arm rows using Barbell (like a landmine row); Inverted Rows (use a table etc); High pull with a wide grip (all u need is the barbell and search about this exerciseon google/tnation)

Hamstrings: Romanian deadlift with BB; SLDL with BB; Single leg RDL or SLD; Single leg hip/glute raise - with back on the floor and one foot on the edge of a chair)

Rear delts: Make shift weight (rocks etc), rear delt raise

Shrugs: BB or other

Biceps: BB curls; Spider curls; drag curls; chin ups etc

Abs: Any

PUSHING

Quads: BB lunges: BB walking Lunges: BB step ups; Sissy squats (one of my favorites); BB hack squats; single leg squat, etc

Chest: BB floor press elbows at 45 degrees); BB floor neck press (Careful); Push ups (weighted if needs be; and try with feet on a chair); Make shift bench incline BB press; Svendt press (using 2 small plates or other medium/light items)

Shoulders: BB OHP; Side laterals; Upright row BB (Rear delts trained on pulling day)

Triceps: BB skulls; BB overhead extensions; Dips on a chair (weighted if needed); Kickback with makeshift DB's

Calves: BB calve raise with toes on a thin plank

SO there are some suggestions. I love the pulling/pressing routine. Let's you train everything twice a week, and I like breaking legs up - but for those who do heavy squats, it might not be a great idea.

PROGRESSION: Well adding weight will not be an option for you for a number of exercises. But that doesn't matter, there are many ways to progress when your goal is size!

* Tempo: Slow down your negatives - try using a slow 4 second negative on your lifts, no pause at the bottom, powerful push/pull, and then back into the 4 second negative. Big increase in TUT, and even 30% of your normal weight will be challenging

* Reps: be happy working in the 10 + rep range. Using the slow negatives will help light weight make you fail a lot earlier than you think, and you may find that you have more than enough weight to train effectively

* Intention: With BB press, try squeeze your hands together (hands don't move), this places a lot of tension on your chest, you keep squeezing your hands inwards as you bench, and add this to slow negatives, even lightweight will be hard to move for more than 10 reps

* Rest periods: If you reduce rest period time and still hit the same reps you did before = progression

Anyway, these are some of my thoughts. I truly think you can build an impressive physique with the limited equipment you have if you get your program right and eat a lot!

*sheds a tear* this has to be the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me... Thank you sir. I will make you proud
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Dexdbest My pleasure man!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
What a post Brian.
Post 19 IP   flag post
340609 19 19
destitute