Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

Opinions on training frequency14889

jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
training muscles once or twice per week?

4, 5, or 6 days per week?

I use to train everything twice a week 5 days per week (PHAT) but I believe now I wasn't getting the proper recovery time needed.

I believe other activities can affect what training style you should do too. Like me I have a stressful active job, lifting, sweating, power walking, for 6 - 8 hours a day 5-7 days a week so I think doing PHAT was kind of pushing it and I could make better gains turning it down a bit.

More is not always better. I had to learn the hard way.
Post 1 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@jja0016 for muscle gain, as a natural, twice a week is optimal.
Post 2 IP   flag post
But for recovery (adrenal glands, nervous system), energy levels, strength is it really?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja0016
But for recovery (adrenal glands, nervous system), energy levels, strength is it really?

Sure I read somewhere 72hours is enough for recovery, I could be making that up though
Post 4 IP   flag post
72 hours is enough for recovery but is it optimal? And on phat most of the time you really aren't getting a full 72 hours between working the same muscles.

Upper Body, Lower, Rest, Back/Shoulders, Lower, Chest/Arms, Rest

Chest / Arms to Upper is 48 hours, Back/Shoulders to Chest/Arms is 48 hours and you're using the same muscles on both of those days.

I don't know I just felt kind of burnt after running phat for so long although it did bring good results. Very stressful on the bones/joints though.

It got to the point where I didn't really enjoy working out anymore it was a drag.

When I first started I was doing 4 days a week working muscles once a week and every workout I felt fresh and energized and it was actually fun going to the gym. As a result I felt I could push myself harder.
Post 5 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
72 hours is enough for recovery but is it optimal? And on phat most of the time you really aren't getting a full 72 hours between working the same muscles.

Chest / Arms to Upper is 48 hours, Back/Shoulders to Chest/Arms is 48 hours and you're using the same muscles on both of those days.

Yes, with proper rest, nutrition, and properly scheduled deloads.

Dude, I'm 40, so not exactly as "fresh" as the younger guys on here, and I'm hitting back and legs 2x per week. Recovery is fine and I'm making consistent progress. Just had a deload after 8 weeks of consistent training.
Post 6 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@jja0016 remember if you are training twice a week, each session will be lower volume. You weekly total volume would be the same. So if you normally did 16 sets of back a week you could either do one big back day and do all 16 sets, or break it up into two sessions of 8 (same impact on CNS per week). The advantage is that protein synthesis remains elevated for about 48 hours after training ~ if u train twice a week you experience double the amount of protein synthesis per week per muscle group (where naturals make their most gains). Hopefully @EK will chime in
Post 7 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
My philosophy is to train whenever you want. So if my muscle groups are not feeling weak and overly sore I am ready to hit it again. I usually train 4 days out of the week. For me every session is both a strength and hypertrophy day. I push for PRs at the beginning of the workout while I am fresh and then I hit accessory movements slow and controlled with higher reps to finish it out.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
Quote:

Yes, with proper rest, nutrition, and properly scheduled deloads.

Dude, I'm 40, so not exactly as "fresh" as the younger guys on here, and I'm hitting back and legs 2x per week. Recovery is fine and I'm making consistent progress. Just had a deload after 8 weeks of consistent training.

100% this. Yes, twice a week is optimal. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
Optimal for muscle growth but what about joints, energy, and sense of well being which could play a factor in muscle growth/intensity in the gym and overall health and longevity?
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Joints respond to the stresses placed on them. Your joints are bone and soft tissue; soft tissue gets stronger from regular intervals of training (the research shows protein synthesis for all cells turnover is 72 hours or less) and bone lays down and gets stronger based on the stresses placed on it (Wolff's Law).

Energy is going to come down to calorie consumption.

In terms of stress/well-being, training multiple muscles twice weekly isn't any more stressful than training them once weekly on a "bro split." And we all know that exercise in general releases endorphins, so it reduces stress. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
You have the right idea actually about other activities affecting your training routine. Make sure your getting enough sleep and your diet is in check (If your failing at that then your already screwed). You need to look at your training routine and goals almost like a professional athlete as if it's the on or off season and then factor in your goals and current activity level. For example if your work and daily/weekly activity level is low (like off season) then you are probably able hit the gym hard and make gains. If your work and daily/weekly activity level is high (like in season) then you wont be able to hit the gym too hard and you will be mainly focused on maintaining or slower gains (so that your ready for games/your normal life wont suffer). Most of us aren't pro athletes and we are probably somewhere between the two extremes of on and off season so we just find the balance.

Like others have said, training twice a week is optimal but some of us are more active outside of the gym so we need to factor that in.

What do you do for work? It sounds taxing.
Post 12 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
4 Times a week is plenty.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Eat2Trainn247 private msg quote post Address this user
As we age, the length of time MPS remains elevated decreases and has been shown to be as little as 14-24 hours in some individuals; thus, a greater training frequency may be advantageous.

Of course, at the top of your priority list needs to be nutrition for ample fuel and recovery. Then, a program that is properly designed and periodized to hit your desired frequency/goals/etc.
Post 14 IP   flag post
340739 14 14
destitute