Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Diet AdviceFemale FitnessTraining Programs

Fitness advice critic14879

queenquebec private msg quote post Address this user
I had consultant with a personal trainer about my fitness goals, and I was a little shocked by her advice. I want to get more lean & defined, since I'm currently at 24.4% bodyfat and she told me:

"NOT to count calories, cause they don't matter. And I eat healthy anyways"
"Never buy whey or casein again cause it's processed garbage"
"Don't lift heavy weights with rest periods, cause that will make me bulky. Just move from one exercise to another with no rest."
" Always do cardio for 30min after weight training"
" Avoid potatoes and have sweet potatoes, cause they're a better complex carb."
AND she also said intermitted fasting will slow down my metabolism.

I'd like to know what you all think about this? I don't it will kill me to do this for 4 weeks and track my results, but i'm curious if anyone has additional info to share on building muscle and burning fat?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
This is why I hate trainers.. because they literally know nothing.

Your best results will come from counting calories; it allows you to make sure that you're in a deficit / surplus, and to control that.

While whey and casein can help if you have a hard time hitting protein requirements, they are by NO means necessary. Remember, a supplement is just that.

Lifting weights won't make you bulky, you're a girl.

Cardio is a tool, not a necessity.

If your body handles potatoes fine, eat potatoes. Nothing wrong with them.

Intermitted fasting will not slow your metabolism, but it has no benefit over regular eating patterns.
Post 2 IP   flag post
queenquebec private msg quote post Address this user
She said lifting heavy weights like the 5by 5 program would make me bulk. And why would a trainer tell me not count calories and that I can build muscle and get lean at the same time?? And she's also got a bachelor's degree too! Just wondering...
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jophe private msg quote post Address this user
Her license should be revoked.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
What is her degree in? Unless it's in nutrition, she has no place to be giving nutrition advice. Personal training certifications do not cover nutrition either.. most info that trainers know is self taught, and it's bro science for the most part.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfidy
This is why I hate trainers.. because they literally know nothing.

Your best results will come from counting calories; it allows you to make sure that you're in a deficit / surplus, and to control that.

While whey and casein can help if you have a hard time hitting protein requirements, they are by NO means necessary. Remember, a supplement is just that.

Lifting weights won't make you bulky, you're a girl.

Cardio is a tool, not a necessity.

If your body handles potatoes fine, eat potatoes. Nothing wrong with them.

Intermitted fasting will not slow your metabolism, but it has no benefit over regular eating patterns.

Only tons of drugs will make you look like Ms.Olympia, lifting heavy will make you strong but only a caloric surplus can make you gain just like only a caloric deficit can make you lose weight.

As a side note, it's not possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (aside from the first 6 months of lifting). Or just doesn't happen, that's why everyone either bulks or cuts.

A bachelors in what? Obviously not physical therapy, you can literally get a PT license with $100 and an hour of your time, maybe 3-4 of you know nothing about lifting or muscles. I have a literal team of ACTUAL licensed physical therapists at the best hospital in my state that LOVE the fact that I track macros, lift(ed), know my muscles/lifts and preform myofascial release.

Ask her to show you PEER REVIEWED scientific evidence to support her claims and share them on the forum so we can laugh at that jargen and tear it apart.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostshock
Obviously not physical therapy, you can literally get a PT license with $100 and an hour of your time, maybe 3-4 of you know nothing about lifting or muscles. I have a literal team of ACTUAL licensed physical therapists at the best hospital in my state that LOVE the fact that I track macros, lift(ed), know my muscles/lifts and preform myofascial release.

Ask her to show you PEER REVIEWED scientific evidence to support her claims and share them on the forum so we can laugh at that jargen and tear it apart.

Not sure what you're referring to here, but PT is a doctorate program. PT does not refer to personal trainers; it refers to physical therapists. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight yeah that's my bad, I said PT in regards to "Personal Training(er)" and switched it over to talking about how Physical Therapists (or Physios for you non-murricans) are the real deal.
Blame the brain damage for the confusion 😧
Post 8 IP   flag post
340762 8 8
destitute