Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbieTraining Programs

Help me learn...14877

Aspire2Inspire private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I follow quite a lot of your posts/threads and learn new things everyday. The more stupid questions I ask now the more I will take on board and maybe one day I'll ask the right question that will benefit others.

(1) I am currently doing SL 5x5 and one of the exercises is an OHP. A push-press uses the momentum from driving from the legs upwards, whereas an OHP is focused on your triceps and shoulder strength. Is one better than the other given that you could probably move more weight with a push press?

(2) I am not using any supplements, protein powders or creatine at the moment. When should I start or could I start using any of them?

(3) I know I have a high amount of BF at the moment. Training on the SL 5x5 program I can still 'cut'/ drop body fat by focusing on my diet right?

(4) Can somebody link me to a video of a barbell row with good form. It's the only exercise on the program, which I am questioning my form. Some reps I find my lower back is being overworked rather than middle of my back. I did see a video of someone performing a row and it just looked wrong. And I wasn't convinced with seeing comments to that end.

(5) On the 5x5 SL program its essentially 5 exercises; SQ, DL, OHP, BP and Rows. I am fully aware that in comparison to my Squats and Deadlifts my Bench Press is lagging, A LOT. Would it be advisable to do other exercises on OFF/REST days to help build tricep strength?? (I cannot Dip my own BW (nor can I perform a single Pull-up))

Thanks in advance to any responses.
Post 1 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
1. I think OHP is better, not always about the amount of weight your using

2. You can start using supplements when ever

3. That is correct, you can drop body fat through diet alone and maintain/increase strength if done at a stead pace

4. Just type in youtube bent over row form

5. What part of your bench is lagging?If it's triceps add in close grip bench press as an accessory at the end

6. Have you read the FAQ?
Post 2 IP   flag post
@AarronStenner Yep. Constantly referring to it. Then flicking through other people's threads. I like it. It's bookmarked to my browser for easy access.

Okay, nothing impressive with my stats, but I was the type of person that would focus on my strengths rather than my weaknesses. So I'd go really heavy on Squats and just neglect working on everything else. The total opposite of your 'Johnny Bravo' look which is ever present in gyms near me.

Long story short my max Bench Press is light years away from what I would like it to be. I guess I will have to wait until I stop progressing in the 5x5 program. So far I am up to 42.5kg (5 weeks in and started from 22.5kg).
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
All good advice from @AarronStenner

On #2 yeah you can start supps whenever, but you really only need the protein powder if you're not getting enough protein in your diet. So figure that out. With creatine you may find it useful in maintaining muscle and strength on a cut.

On #4, Bent Over Row. There are some variations of this move. Find one that works for you and allows you to move the most weight with proper form and feel.

And of course, start putting most focus on your weaknesses, not your strengths.
Post 4 IP   flag post

Going with the above, what about calories used up whilst exercising? I am doing SL 5x5 (3x a week and also playing football 1-2x a week). Does this need to be factored in to my calculations?

Furthermore, are those numbers for each macro correct? I'm getting different numbers from the myfitnesspal app and Muscle and Strength website. I am tracking what I consume using the myfitnesspal app on my iPhone.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
@Aspire2Inspire
1) I would say OHP, anything momentum based feels like cheating to me, maybe include it as an accessory in a different program by for 5x5s u would just do it as prescribed.

2) protein powders can't hurt but they won't really help, just use them at your own convenience. For the extremely low price of creatine monohydrate and the benefits of it I can't say anything against it.

3) yes, if you're worried about bf% training routine has nothing to do with it only how your muscles will grow (if your routine is imbalanced, it will show) and if you train for muscle size, strength, or endurance.

4) there's 2 types of rows- Pendlay rows are the default for 5x5, they're harder and they start at the floor. - Yates rows start at and knee level and get pulled in until you touch your belly button.

5) I wouldn't advice adding anything to SL, my bench is also the weakest but the muscles you use to bench are much weaker/smaller in comparison. If you insist I would just add in Dumbell presses whether they be floor presses or just DB Flat benching. DE benching can't hurt either

I personally use the muscle and strength calculator but the iifym calculator SHOULD have an activity option where it'll make your macros based on how many days a week you lift and for how long
Post 6 IP   flag post
I have been good on the calories and eating as cleanly as possible for the last two days. Logging everything on myfitnesspal is a ball ache, BUT I know I'm on track and not eating for the sake of eating or eating the wrong things.

A questions arises from all of this. 9g of Fat, 69g of Carbs and 30g of Protein left to hit for today. If I hit my Carbs and Protein OR have 20g Carbs left (after my next meal), is it important I still reach those numbers for Fat and Carbs by the end of the day or do I need to for example have ice-cream to hit the numbers for all of the macros?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
You should try to get as close as possible to your daily macros (I usually try and aim for within 5g either way of each). If you have some fat and carbs left at the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with eating ice cream.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Perfidy Thanks
Post 9 IP   flag post
- Multi-vitamin
- Fish oil
- Creatine Monohydrate

For a multi-vitamin is the particular brand or product I need to buy. Supermarket brand vs something that has 5billion % Vitamin this and that? Also, (I feel stupid asking this but..) are BCAA's and Multi-vitamin two different things?

Fish oil - Any suggestions? and Amount I need to be taking a day?

Creatine - I have used Muscletech Celltech in the past. As you can see below, it contains BCAA's, would I still need to take an additional BCAA supplement?

Also there are 38g of carbs per serving, I would need to work that into my daily amount of 220g?

Finally, FAQ says I should be having 5g of Creatine Monohydrate a day. Celltech gives 3.5g of Monohydrate and 1.5g of HCI. Firstly whats the difference and is this enough??

Let me know your thoughts please!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Bump.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Perfidy @Frostshock @wannabemuscular @AarronStenner Hi! Can you help me with the above questions? Thanks.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Multivitamin - Buy the cheapest you can find.
Creatine - Buy monohydrate and the cheapest you can find.
Fish oils - I don't buy anything special, just the cheapest I can find.
BCAA's - wouldn't bother with.
All carbs that you consume must be counted into your daily allowance.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Will add- for a multi, you want something natural. Synthetic vitamins are not absorbed well and are a waste. So no Centrum, One-a-day type things. Read the label and look for a natural E (d-alpha not dl-alpha) and C that is from absorbic acid and also has bioflavonoids. For fish oil make sure you dosage is 1 gram of omegas total per day, not 1 gram of fish oil. -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Trev182 @eknight Thanks!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@eknight Just saw you post on another thread and you talked about a raw lift? What do you mean by this term?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
@Aspire2Inspire "Raw" lifts refer to if you use gear (assistance materials, not steroids in this sense) at all from things like Straps or Clips etc

SOME Meets count using a belt as Raw, some don't so it depends where you're powerlifting
Post 17 IP   flag post
Okay thanks @Frostshock.

Quick update my end. Not exactly doing a log as such yet because I'm still a novice lifter, with no amazing BF loss in sight or muscle gains.

Just finished week 6 of SL 5x5 first time around.

Squat 77.5KG 5x5
Bench 47.5KG 5x5
DL 92.5KG 5x5

Always knew my Bench was a weak point, but I am determined to push through to much better numbers.

After reading and watching all of you guys, I have decided to keep running SL 5x5 till I stop gaining. Honestly, I a very long way to go. It's hard not getting instant results, but I guess progression every workout for each lift is a result itself.

For the last 9 days I have been logging my daily caloric intake on MFP and have lost 1.0kg so far (92.5kg to 91.5kg). I just hope that was digging into my estimated 30% BF and nothing else. Ha!

Today found OHP at 40KG hard and failed in set 3. So will repeat with same weight next workout. Similarly last workout in set 5 with Barbell Rows.

Anyway enough babbling! Later!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Anyone have a remedy to shin splints. I guess it doesn't help playing football two days running and with a SL 5x5 session earlier today either. Any help and my shins would be appreciative.

Thanks.
Post 19 IP   flag post
SL 5x5 - Squats, Bench Press and Barbell Rows today.

BP @ 50kg 5x5 - 5th set 5th rep and I fail. Even had to do the dignity roll, because the catches were too low. GRRRR. :-( Depressing enough that Bench Press is the weakest of my Big 3. Oh well, try again next workout.
Post 20 IP   flag post
340740 20 20
destitute