Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Shoulder InjurySplit Advice

Shoulder pop when doing OHP14850

slowurroll private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all. I have noticed lately that when doing OHP I get a pop in my right shoulder. No pain. Just pops on the up portion of the movement. My hands are a little wider than shoulder width when I conduct the exercise. I'm just sitting here at work thinking about it and wondered if anyone knows of a way to prevent it since I am not an anatomy expert by any means. Will a closer hand position make a difference?
Post 1 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Fix your push to pull ratio. 2 pulls to 1 push.
Post 2 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
You gotta be really careful with that brah. If you snap that shit up you will be in a world of trouble. Do you warm up your rotator cuff at all before heavy shoulder work?
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine0seven

Yeah, I'll bet you've historically done way more pushes than pulls.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Elminister private msg quote post Address this user
Lower the weight, include full range of motion, work on your form. Visit a doctor just to be sure.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoleAnimal
You gotta be really careful with that brah. If you snap that shit up you will be in a world of trouble. Do you warm up your rotator cuff at all before heavy shoulder work?

Ya I am considering stopping that movement for now. I don't have any pain from it....yet. And that's what worries me. I don't want to risk something severe happening. Today I only did some light warm up which I know I should've done more. But I also did a couple warm up sets with just the bar for about 6-8 reps then did a couple of those working up to work sets of 75lbs. So it wasn't exactly heavy work. But it still popped on almost every rep. Just no pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine0seven

Yeah, I'll bet you've historically done way more pushes than pulls.

I will try to. The nature of the military though includes a lot of push-ups. I will re-evaluate my lifting. I am moving to a full body routine to accommodate my schedule and need to have more endurance/cardio training so I will make sure to set that up correctly.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Do you do pullups? They are the antagonist of OHP. Try to build up on those and going forward like @nine0seven said, get your Pull to Push ratio to 2:1.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
Do you do pullups? They are the antagonist of OHP. Try to build up on those and going forward like @nine0seven said, get your Pull to Push ratio to 2:1.

I don't currently. At least not a whole lot. I'll make sure to get those in there to counteract what's going on. If my shit snaps I'm gonna be pissed.
Post 8 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
How is your form, are you standing and does your elbows flare out ?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarronStenner
How is your form, are you standing and does your elbows flare out ?

I am standing yes. To be honest I don't recall if they do or not. I will watch myself in the mirror closer next time which is supposed to be in a couple days.
Post 10 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
@slowurroll never watch yourself in the mirror, i find if I squat in front or a mirror or anything my form goes out of the window. Just make sure your elbows tuck in pushing off and on your decent, if your shoulder is still popping then there is obviously something wrong internally. Try watching Kelly Starrett on youtube, he might have a video on shoulder popping
Post 11 IP   flag post
@AarronStenner I will try to check him out and see if there is anything helpful. I'll be more conscious of it next time and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Check out this thread and make sure to watch the video put in there by @eknight.

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/14647/anterior-vs-posterior-upper-body-training/
Post 13 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular thanks for that. I will give it a read.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Little update. I did OHP today again in the gym. Brought my hands in a bit closer to being inline with my shoulders and made sure my elbows didn't flare out. Felt a lot more of the lift this time and no popping in my shoulder! Hallelujah!
Post 15 IP   flag post
340624 15 15
destitute