Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
LegsSplit Advice

New programming for legs14827

Outwork_08 private msg quote post Address this user
How's it going guys,

To make a long story short. I broke my leg a few years back had 2 surgeries was on crutches and in a cast for 3 months followed by being in a walking boot for 3 months after that. I thought I had put this injury behind me but something started hurting again so I went back to my surgeon and sure enough an MRI revealed 2 completely torn ligaments and 1 partially torn ligament in the same ankle so its time to go back under the knife and get that fixed. Last time I did not train legs whatsoever while I was recovering and it set me back A LOT, hell its been 3 years and I still haven't gotten my squat and deadlift back to where they were before the original injury. I'm determined not to let that happen again (however I know I'm going to lose quite a bit but I'm trying to minimize the loss).

I'll be on crutches and in a cast again for 2 months and then in a walking boot for another 2 months after that. Here's what I have planned for leg training after the surgery.

leg extensions 3 sets
lying leg curls 3 sets
(not sure what you call these next ones)
abductor aka bad girls 3 sets
adductor aka good girls 3 sets
single leg extensions 3 sets
seated leg curls 3 sets

Reps will be determined by whether its a power day or hypertrophy day. Oh and I'll be hitting this leg workout twice per week. I just couldn't think of any other exercises that would be possible while in a cast. Any thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Training is a minuscule part of your life. Get your mind right. It's nonsense to be worried about losing size in your leg when your focus should be on rehabbing your ankle and getting a green light to train again from your doctors and physical therapists. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Training is a minuscule part of your life. Get your mind right. It's nonsense to be worried about losing size in your leg when your focus should be on rehabbing your ankle and getting a green light to train again from your doctors and physical therapists. -3X

I understand what you're saying but until I'm out of the walking boot I will not be doing any physical therapy with an actual pt, that will come after the boot is off. Also after the last recovery process my doctor told me that the loss of strength in my quads and hamstrings was going to set back my overall recovery. A lot of physical therapy for ankle injuries is focused on maintaining or gaining strength in quads, hamstrings, and calves (along with range of motion, stability, and ankle strengthening obviously). So while admittedly I have ulterior motives (in terms of not losing size for aesthetic purposes) really the two would go hand in hand.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
As someone who is finishing my PTA licensure, I would disagree. I see patients every day who are rehabbing injuries and surgeries and what you're proposing would certainly not go hand in hand. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
As someone who is finishing my PTA licensure, I would disagree. I see patients every day who are rehabbing injuries and surgeries and what you're proposing would certainly not go hand in hand. -3X

I'm just basing that off of my previous experiences in physical therapy and the plans outlined to me by the physical therapists I've had. My pt programs were always based around ankle ROM, stability, and strengthening but also had a large focus on leg presses, leg extensions, curls, calf raises, lunges, etc. I'm not trying to disagree I just don't see why I shouldn't try to do something while I'm confined to my cast and crutches. Obviously my number one focus will be getting back to 100%, but I want to continue training in anyway I can because it is something I love to do
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I would discuss it with your PT then, since he or she will know the specifics of your injury. Asking an Internet forum isn't in your best interest. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
340609 6 6
destitute