Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestSplit Advice

Lagging Chest?14709

KalletSc private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, attatched below is a couple random side poses I found. Although I have added a decent amount of size lately...I am curious to know if you guys think my chest is lagging. To me, this is the one body part I feel like is holding me back from competing. For about 3 months, I began hitting chest 3x a week for about 30-35 sets (I am very adapted to high volume). Somehow...my chest strength has actually decreased...while my deadlift and squat have sky rocketed this summer. What are good methods to get out of this plateau? I am about 170-174lbs/5'10/7.6%. My bench PR has gone from 230x10 to 225x8. I am kind of clueless as to what is going on. Thanks guys!

1RM on Bench...290. Goal 315 by end of september.

Max deadlift: 500
Max Squat: 385 (parallel) and 345 ATG
Post 1 IP   flag post
Scotian private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's kind of lagging too. I know the struggle.

If it's not growing with all that volume maybe try less? I mean if you're getting weaker, you're obviously doing something wrong.

Don't let it hold you back from competing though!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
You're chest doesn't really look like it's lagging that much to me. Maybe a little. Was your bench going up consistently before you started working it 3x a week? I'd just train it like everything else.

How much attention have paid to your form? I'd take some time to really make sure you're doing everything the same way you always have, sometimes I fall into bad habits without noticing.

Do you want to compete in physique? Judging there always seems to be random as hell, so I wouldn't let a "lagging" body part hold you back.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
No wonder it's lagging. You're not training it to grow. 90+ sets per week, all you're doing is creating muscle endurance. You're not "adapted" to high volume training. The body doesn't work that way. Hit it heavy and hard, twice a week, 14-16 sets each session, 10-12 reps, as heavy as you can handle, with one minute rest between sets. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Your goal of 315 1rm by September is very ambitious and not compatible with stating so lean. But who gives a fuck about benching 315 when you're shredded as fuck.

To break your plateau you're gonna need a calorie surplus.

I HIGHLY recommend getting on a periodized split like 5/3/1 for your ME day. For your DE day 60-70% with bands from Elite FTS.

Bands will do wonders for your chest.

But a big bench is really about tris/lats and technique. Seems like you need to focus on either putting up a big # on bench or bringing your chest up with conventional bodybuilding techniques.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Haha thanks guys. I actually meant 30-35 sets a week total! So that comes out to roughly 10-12 sets a workout.

Current idea is this...Hit my chest with two different workouts. Both A and B will be performed during the week.

Chest Workout A:
1) 3x5 Barbbell Bench (Power)..primarily strength work and progressive overload etc.
2) 5x10: Barbbell bench (paused at the bottom)...work on explosiveness..incorporate bands. I am veryyy strong from the lockout but not the bottom.
3) 4x8-12: Dumbbell Incline-Medium incline...hypertrophy based. Utilize tension etc
4) High Cable Crossovers..5 sets of 12-15 reps.

17 sets..straight sets. No more dropsets etc.

***Chest Workout B***

Warmup/Speedwork: Banded speed reps...6x3 with 50 percent of my 1rm (so probably 155)...Or I can do light smith machine bench where I kind of throw the weight up and catch it for 3x8-12 reps?

Hypertrophy- Dumbbell Bench: 4x8-12
Incline Barbbell- 4 x 10
Weighted dips-2x 6-8
Incline DB flye: 3 sets of 8-12

I'm going to just keep it simple. Truthfully, I think the copius amount of drop sets etc may have been detrimental instead of beneficial. I also really slacked on decline/dips. Never incorporated any. Although I love strength, building a solid physique is the first priority. Thanks guys. We'll see where this takes me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I really do like the 5/3/1 periodization, but I actually train at a higher frequency of lifting than your average lifter. I know this is total broscience...but it works for me to go in 6-7 days a week.
I still make progress. Believe it or not, I actually drink 2-
3x a week (Probably about 20 drinks a week compared to the 45-60 I was putting down during the school year), haven't done cardio in nearly 2 months, and I am consuming anywhere from 3500-3700 calories daily. As for the issue of form, today I actually hit chest...and muscle-mind connection just killed me. I made those 65lb dumbbells hit as hard as the 95/100's do when I simply 'move weight'. Also, creating an 'arc' shaped movement when I benched triggered crazy pumps. I think I have this figured out a little better
Post 7 IP   flag post
Johanna private msg quote post Address this user
Keep training those traps too
Post 8 IP   flag post
Hamer93 private msg quote post Address this user
Less is more IMO. Aim for half the volume you do for back and try to involve more high rows
Post 9 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
I'd put money on floor presses for you. Add em in. They will give you an effect on your chest and tris you've never felt. I bet not only would your chest grow but your bench press would improve. And if you don't already do weighted dips then I'd add them too. Both are great for chest and Tri development as well as increased bench strength.

And keep in mind... You've said a few times that "this works for me" in reference to your routine. If your lagging or losing strength than maybe you need a we routine. Or maybe you need to take a 1-2 weeks deload/off time.
Post 10 IP   flag post
ParkerHenry private msg quote post Address this user
I would do more pause benching and dumbbell presses to bring them up
Post 11 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @kickinchicken, Floor Presses! - I love them, and they definitely add something to the mix.

I would also suggest slowing down your negatives and actually backing off the weight a bit. IE: adding a 3-4 second negative. Push the weight up powerfully, and immediately drop into the slow negative, and no rest at the bottom. Increase your TUT.

I also enjoy BPack's inward intention when using barbell presses. Basically trying to squeeze your hands together (inward direction). Obviously your hands don't move, but it creates a lot more tension in your chest. You will also need to lower the weight for these.

Good luck!
Post 12 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
I very passionately hate the bench press. I just can't do it. As far as your lagging chest...it looks quite fine to me.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Dexdbest private msg quote post Address this user
Dips are the best chest exercise in world!!!
Try doing density(time based sets) for your chest. Works wonders
Post 14 IP   flag post
340764 14 14
destitute