Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
DeadliftPHATSplit Advice

Deadlifting on PHAT14542

jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
I've been running PHAT as listed by Layne Norton for a very long time now and my lower back is starting to feel tight all the time with little creaks of pain now and then.

I've been squatting and deadlifting on both leg days for like 40 weeks now with deloads every 6-8 weeks. (exactly as listed if you look at the site)

Nothing serious but definitely noticeable.

Wondering if I should take Deadlifts out and replace with maybe an extra set or 2 of leg curls. Seated and Prone.

What do you guys think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
You have been pulling and squatting same day on PHAT?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yes. Is that bad? I ran it as it was laid out. It said not to squat and deadlift if you aren't advanced but I did anyway..
Post 3 IP   flag post
Its not abnormal to squat and pull same day twice a week but its normally on a primarilly powerlifting based program with more rest days than PHAT intends. Plus PHAT has more workload than your typical powerlifting program because of the hyper days.

Like you said, Layne doesn't normally reccommend doing both same day but switching them about every 4 weeks. Deadlifts can easily be considered a lower body exercise so what helps one lift could many times help the other lift. Maybe you could just do one at a time for a while or since you have been doing them both on your hyper days than squats on power day and pulls on hypers. Or just not do either for a while and replace them with RDLs and pin/block pulls or other assistance exercises for a bit.
Post 4 IP   flag post
thanks bud
Post 5 IP   flag post
Any time
Post 6 IP   flag post
340621 6 6
destitute