Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Opinion on a program14277

quadrasaurus_rex private msg quote post Address this user
I came across Candito Training on Youtube and the guy seems to know what hes talking about when it comes to strength training. He has a 6 week program for free and claims it to be better than the 5/3/1 program but I'm skeptical. Has anyone tried this program or know if it would a decent program to follow? I've been lifting for 3 years serious and have made some decent feats in strength for weighing only 170.
Squat-335x5
DL-385x2
Bench-225x2

I'm looking to get these numbers high enough to hopefully compete towards the end of summer. Any input about this program or recommendations would be helpful.

http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-strength-programs/
Post 1 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
@cardinal is doing the programme at the moment so check his log.

Nick wright on youtube is doing this programme at the moment, he loves it and has seen good gains.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
I've heard some guys on the forum (Cardinal is one) talk about the program enough to wear I think it would be a viable option.

If you're planning on a meet, you might want to follow a program that works for meet prep.
Post 3 IP   flag post
quadrasaurus_rex private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome thanks guys I'll check out some of those videos.
Post 4 IP   flag post
TyrannosaurusFlex private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, what's with the namebite? (
Post 5 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
I assume you are referring to the periodization programme? As mentioned I'm currently doing the programme. I just begun my second cycle You can see my log here:

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13956/cardinals-return-log/

I got my Wilks coefficient on it from 286 to 300 in one cycle which is significant. My personal thoughts:

Pros:
Each week is different, keeps things interesting.
Genuine strength gains relative to body weight.
Plenty of volume for a strength programme. I like volume.

Not going for PRs every week like other programmes (5/3/1) keeps you well rested.

Cons:
A lot of volume for beginners. If you aren't deadlifting squatting the same day already the adjustment is significant.

Programme started off too easy for me but I was beat by the end of my first cycle. I over estimated the conditioning/ hypertrophy weeks after doing body building high volume training for months. Don't under estimate it.

Other programmes focused only on strength increases are probably more effective. I like the programme though because it isn't entirely low rep/set/ exercise schemes. It has volume, which as mentioned, I like.

If you have other questions feel free to ask/ post in my log.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Stupot316 private msg quote post Address this user
@cardinal I'm actually going to give canditos programme a whirl for a couple of cycles beginning in the next few weeks- are you planning on testing maxes after each cycle or just gonna take a deload? Also Is 4 days enough for your love of volume? I was planning on sticking in a conditioning day mid week- sprints/car pushes etc.?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Swift private msg quote post Address this user
I've done a few of them and love it! You definitely won't regret it!
Post 8 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
@Stupot316 I actually do the same and add in a 5th conditioning day. If you do this, keep it light. Do technique work and keep the session time bellow 45 mins. You may also want to drop any type of muscular conditioning for the final week and the sixth optional max week if you really want to hit numbers.

I did my first cycle and did a max testing week before a deload weak nd beginning the programme again. I didn't add anything to my squat but changed from low bar to high bar and increased form exponentially. I added 5kg to bench and 10 kg to my deadlift so pretty significant results over a 6 week period.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Stupot316 private msg quote post Address this user
@cardinal Cheers. I'll let you know in due course in your log how things progress after the first 6 weeks. Think I will probably max out after the first cycle and then if I enjoy it- run it for at least 3 more cycles before maxing out again.
Post 10 IP   flag post
340752 10 10
destitute