Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

*Dave Tate on Accessory & Supplmental Work !14253

FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Really good vid if u have the time to watch it or to even have it on in the background and listen to it guys.

Give a great insight into what he's learned about program design in his 30odd Years of training and 15yrs with Westside.

Post 1 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
1 hour. At the office right now, will watch it later.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@jonrivs49 I know mate but i learned alot about programming and strength program design in this lecture.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi. just finished watching it, great vid and ive really learned a lot of things. Thanks mate.

@all.. this was a great watch you will learn a lot of things that you can apply to your training.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@jonrivs49 I really think everyone doing strength based workouts should watch this... as everyone changes their accessory work and this would be great Guidance !!
Post 5 IP   flag post
^I agree, Thats why I post a comment to put it back on the top in the thread area for everyone to see. This is really a great find and really rare for someone like dave give it for free.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hamer93 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm waiting for the time to watch this
Post 7 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome video! A lot of what I've learned the last year on powerlifting he addresses. I don't want to go as far as to say that powerlifting is simple, but it's not as much of a mystery anymore now that the information is so readily available. He makes a great point on "sticking points." The more and more I learn the more I realize that there is not really a "superior" program to use. It's more about choosing the correct supplemental work.
Post 8 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinchicken
Awesome video! A lot of what I've learned the last year on powerlifting he addresses. I don't want to go as far as to say that powerlifting is simple, but it's not as much of a mystery anymore now that the information is so readily available. He makes a great point on "sticking points." The more and more I learn the more I realize that there is not really a "superior" program to use. It's more about choosing the correct supplemental work.

Agreed. I made the most gains awhile back when I was training weaknesses more than the actual movement but quit for some reason. Now that I'm running conjugate I'm really excited to see my progress.

Also, great video fireman. Good way to kill time on this long ass drive.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@kickinchicken Agreed on that mate it really is down to ur supp and accesory work... Every program has potential for great progress.
I think ALOT of us me included think that there is ALWAYS a superior program out there that can get u stronger FASTER.
Human nature though really.

@rudecrew... thanks man i really want EVERYONE to watch this video i think it's important to listen to guys like Dave Tate talk on programs. Learned alot.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi ya man. I love EliteFTS. I've been reading his stuff non stop lately to educate myself more to help run the conjugate method
Post 11 IP   flag post
@_RudeCrew If u learn something u think we need to know please share bro.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi for sure. I think it would be cool to a "Training Methods Thread" where we can all just talk about different methods and people can ask questions and we can all help out.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Haven't watched it yet so not commenting on the content of the video or anything, BUT... I watched one of his videos on bench the other day and he said if your struggling on a lift wether it's squat, bench or OHP don't focus on other movements that might help it, just keep doing the movement
Post 14 IP   flag post
golagola private msg quote post Address this user
if someone have a time i will be happy to summary of the video (i hardly undertsand what he is saying).
Post 15 IP   flag post
That's how we feel pretty much all the time @gola
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RudeCrew
@FiremanSi for sure. I think it would be cool to a "Training Methods Thread" where we can all just talk about different methods and people can ask questions and we can all help out.

I agree mate it would reduce ALOT of needless threads on SS overall. As ALOT of people never know what level their at or what programs would suit them.

It would be hard to summarise the vid so much valuable content in it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
golagola private msg quote post Address this user
@Hamer93

what do u mean ?

@FiremanSi
ok ty very much
Post 18 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer93
Haven't watched it yet so not commenting on the content of the video or anything, BUT... I watched one of his videos on bench the other day and he said if your struggling on a lift wether it's squat, bench or OHP don't focus on other movements that might help it, just keep doing the movement

Like Tate said, your "sticking point" doesn't necessarily mean that you're weak in a portion of your lift, it may just mean that your form is not 100% and by practicing the movement you can see dem gainzzzzzzzzzzz
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by golagola
if someone have a time i will be happy to summary of the video (i hardly undertsand what he is saying).
simple summary, difference between training the movement and training the muscle.

If you want to increase main lift focus on increasing other areas that have carryover to help you increase main lift.
Post 20 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
Loved this vid, changed my set up a bit on my program
Post 21 IP   flag post
MMB private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting.
Bump so more ppl watch it
Post 22 IP   flag post
Grovinne private msg quote post Address this user
Almost a month old since last post, but I have a question for an SS'r out there who knows.

I read Dave Tate's article that goes with this video as well, and I think I understand how to go about meshing builder(main lift), supplemental, and accessory lifts together BUT what about the 3 big lifts. Like when would you do them? Each workout? Every few weeks? Would you replace a main lift exercise with say Flat Bench press when you want to do flat bench or would you add it on top of the main lift and everything else for that workout day?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Main lift IS one of the Big 3.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Grovinne I'm guessing you're talking about the conjuagte method where you train variations of the main lift? If so id hit the main lift maybe every 4-6 weeks
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Grovinne If ur talking about conjugate i always feel and i've come across many more experienced and knowledgable lifters than feel the conjugate is for intermediate to advanced lifters.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Grovinne private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, I was talking about the conjugate method. And okay, that makes sense. Conjugate method would probably be useful once you start plateauing and need to really fine tune your efforts to make the main lifts go up. If I'm consistently going up with Deadlift, Bench, and Squat, I should probably just focus on those each workout instead of replacing them with a "builder". Thanks
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Grovinne U got it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Aspire2Inspire private msg quote post Address this user
Okay, I am a novice and have started with the StrongLifts program. I had intended to do this for 12 weeks and then look for another program, but would you guys advise I just keep on this program till I stop making progress? When would you suggest I change the program slightly.

My goals are Short term: Strength and Mid-Long terms: Cut to 10-12% BF and maintain all year round.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
1-2 weeks is not an adequate amount of time to run a programme.

Try it for 6 months.

or

Try it until you stop progressing with it.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340767 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute