Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestSplit Advice

Obsessed with chest muscles14204

mrgains private msg quote post Address this user
Hello guys! Im having a lagging chest and want to now what you guys think of a possible routine.

I've been training for 3 years serious, with good gains, so i think i now what im doing. I've tried multiple different approaches on chest-training since its always been my weak part, especially the upper chest. Now I think i finally found it, and it's pause benching. It targets my chest much more and it feels good. But the problem is i have no patience. So my idea is to train chest 3 times a week, and the rest of the body split into 2 workouts with low volume and intensity, just to not lose muscles in thoose areas. I have a week benchpress so i think the key to bring up the lagging part, is thru progressive overload.

Monday: Incline Barbell bench press 4set*3reps, 5 min rest in between
Barbell bench press same as above
Tuesday: Rest of the body
Wednesday: Chest volume, 45 mins 8-12 reps using flyes dumbells etc...
Thursday: Rest of the body
Friday: Incline Barbell bench press 5set*5reps, 3 min rest in between
Saturday: Off
Sunday Off

What du you think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
You and cannonball would get on great.

But..

Your routine contradicts what you said "so i think i know what im doing"
Post 2 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
What are your stats? Height, weight, age, gender. Bench/Squat/Dead Max.
Post 3 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Cannonball...is that you?
Post 4 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
And upper chest is not real.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Troll? -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Im a male 175cm weight 77 kg.
Deadlift 170 kg
Squat 140 kg
Bench 85 kg

Why cant this be possible? 3 times a week when training the rest of the muscle very little? Of course there is a upper chest, look at anatomy. And what is this "cannonball"?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgains
Im a male 175cm weight 77 kg.
Deadlift 170 kg
Squat 140 kg
Bench 85 kg

Why cant this be possible? 3 times a week when training the rest of the muscle very little? Of course there is a upper chest, look at anatomy. And what is this "cannonball"?

Look at the anatomy? How about you practice what you preach, pec major and pec minor make up the chest. Where in there did i say upper chest?

Training a body part excessively will not make it grow, you cant force a muscle to grow.

Once again "so i think i know whay im doing" is a bit....of an exagerration.

Cannonball is our resident "everyday is bench day" expert.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Look at the anatomy? How about you practice what you preach, pec major and pec minor make up the chest. Where in there did i say upper chest?

Training a body part excessively will not make it grow, you cant force a muscle to grow.

Once again "so i think i know whay im doing" is a bit....of an exagerration.

Cannonball is our resident "everyday is bench day" expert.

The chest is seperated in 2 parts, I dont care what its called, i just say upper chest. I know a lot of this seems exaggerated but what should you do when you just have that lagging muscle and it feels like you tried everything? Of course you try something crazy
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Ignore incline bench press, it sucks for everything.

Do this on your press days:

Paused bench (long pause) soft touch (barely touch your chest when pausing, touch as lightly as possible) 3x3

Bench with slow descent (4-5 seconds), long pause, explosive up. 7x3

Paused dumbbell press 10x3

OHP 5x5

(you should also do some additional triceps extensions like pullovers and/or lying barbell triceps extensions)

Off set this with proper training for your back and legs. Don't forget grip and core aswell.

(written in reps x set)
Post 10 IP   flag post
Upper chest is not part of the anatomy. Which was your original statement, which is incorrect. Since as someone has already told you, plus me, the upper chest does not exist.

Lagging how?

If its strength, 5x4-6reps paused flat bench. Twice a week with some accessory sets.

If its muscular size, 5x8-12 paused flat bench. Twice a week with some accessory sets.

As for accessory movements, heavy db presses.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
I guess the clavicular head is just a myth lol
Post 12 IP   flag post
Laggning in strenght and size, but want a strenght improvement as a "foundation" and then work my way up.

Yeah, I meant the clavicular head. Why is the inline bench press bad?
Post 13 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgains

I've been training for 3 years serious, with good gains, so i think i now what im doing.

Monday: Incline Barbell bench press 4set*3reps, 5 min rest in between
Tuesday: Rest of the body
Wednesday: Chest volume, 45 mins 8-12 reps using flyes dumbells etc...
Thursday: Rest of the body
Friday: Incline Barbell bench press 5set*5reps, 3 min rest in between
Saturday: Off
Sunday Off

What du you think?

I think that's a terrible routine. "45 min 8-12 reps using Flyes"???????

I would first recommend doing a routine created by someone who really knows what they are doing. You could possibly do a PPL routine and just try to hit the Push day twice like a PPLP. And stop with the "upper chest" nonsense...that is bro science. You could also start a basic strength routine like starting strength or SL 5x5.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
I guess the clavicular head is just a myth lol

It's not a myth, but it's also not a separate muscle that can be trained independently of the sternal head or focused on more by doing inclines, which, of course, you know, since you once started a thread stating just that.

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/7794/page/1/incline-bench-and-upper-chest/

-3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
T1no1 private msg quote post Address this user
Db press and ohp worked for me + 16months of epic dirty bulking lol
Post 16 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
Back to your original post. You said you "have no patience." That's your problem, I would focus my concern on how to fix that before debating about upper and lower chest.

PS: I don't think you can isolate upper or lower chest but will still do both incline and flat press (bc I like to) and so if I'm right or not it doesn't matter. Same as IIFYMs, I believe in it but on a contest prep diet I'm gonna eat clean foods just in case I'm wrong.

But once again patience is key.
Post 17 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
@mrgains. There is no upper chest. The chest anatomy parts are Pec Major and Pec minor and you cant isolate one over the other. Why you dont have upper chest? simply because your chest muscle are not that full. think of a balloon if it dont have enough air the upper part is not round and full. So work that chest up and get it bigger then you will have your full balloon.

Check your form, Bar should touch your chest. dont be a have repper. if its to heavy drop a little weight, dont let your ego jeopardize your training, Check hand placement, maybe your using your tricep more.
Post 18 IP   flag post
MMB private msg quote post Address this user
You said that paused bench hit more your chest, since it's the same exact thing as normal benching I think maybe you mean that you "feel it more" that being said you would probably like more TUT to make it work "bodybuilding style". Perhaps you can try to do your bench press with a tempo to get more TUT.
Post 19 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
I believe paused bench works the chest muscles more. Takes the elasticity out of the muscle. Kinda like how paused calf raises work the calf muscles more compared to bouncing it up and down and relying on the elasticity or the ligaments and muscle.
Post 20 IP   flag post
mpalk92 private msg quote post Address this user
For an extra challenge in the gym I like to lift my own body weight to failure and see how many I can do. This is great for when you want to shock your muscles into growing either on or off chest days.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalk92
For an extra challenge in the gym I like to lift my own body weight to failure and see how many I can do. This is great for when you want to shock your muscles into growing either on or off chest days.

Eh?
Post 22 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
theres no upper chest man, so u might aswell just quit
Post 23 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Chest 3x a week lol just go get some chest implants and get out of this weightlifting game .
Post 24 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Ignore incline bench press, it sucks for everything.

reverse grip incline press is the bomb.
Post 25 IP   flag post
340762 25 25
destitute