Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit Advice

P.H.A.T Questions ?14025

FrankCB private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys,i'm really confused this issue,if you help me i'm very glad for you..

1- Can i do Lower Power Day ;
Squat 3set - 3-5 rep (heavy)
Leg Extention 3set - 6-10 rep
Deadlift 3set - 1-3 rep (heavy)
Leg Curl 3set - 6 - 10 rep
Calf Raise 3set - 10 rep
Total 2 ab's movement 3set - 12 rep

(i think,do SLDL for hypertrophy leg day only)

2-Hypertrophy day we can do Speed Work for Power Compound movements right? 6set - 3 &60-70 3-5 rep max
Is this a really effective for Hypertrophy(mass) way? why we can not direct 3 set 8-12 rep ranges for &60 3-5 rep max ???

3-I was doing 3day Fullbody Workout so My diet was desinged in the 3-day Fullbody training but Phat is 5 day per week,can i need to increase calories (because still bulk) lil bit? or Doesnt matter?

4- Can I do as it is written template or Modified sets/reps/movements selection? For example:

Phat say ;
Lower Power day
. Squats 3x3-5
. Hack squats 2x6-10
. Leg extensions 2x6-10
. Stiff-legged deadlifts 3x5-8
. Glute ham raises 2x6-10
. Standing calf raise 3x6-10
. Seated calf raise 2x6-10

But i do
Calf Raise 3set - 10 rep

Thank you...
Post 1 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Don't modify it. Run it as written for at least 3 months.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCB
2-Hypertrophy day we can do Speed Work for Power Compound movements right? 6set - 3 &60-70 3-5 rep max
Is this a really effective for Hypertrophy(mass) way? why we can not direct 3 set 8-12 rep ranges for &60 3-5 rep max ???

Speed sets are highly effective and I wish I utilized them better when I did PHAT, read up on speed work and explosiveness.

Quote:
3-I was doing 3day Fullbody Workout so My diet was desinged in the 3-day Fullbody training but Phat is 5 day per week,can i need to increase calories (because still bulk) lil bit? or Doesnt matter?

Increase your calories based on how you want to gain. If you want to lean bulk - Increase cals by 100, wait a week and if you are gaining >= 0.5 lbs stay at that surplus, if not increase the surplus by 100. Rinse, wash, repeat.
If you are dirty bulking just eat a ton.

Quote:
Phat say ;
Lower Power day
. Squats 3x3-5
. Hack squats 2x6-10
. Leg extensions 2x6-10
. Stiff-legged deadlifts 3x5-8
. Glute ham raises 2x6-10

But i do
Calf Raise 3set - 10 rep
Total 2 ab\'s movement 3set - 12 rep

For you I'd say stick with the way it was written, I personally liked doing:
. Squats 3x3-5 (Heavy, swapping order with Deads depending on plateaus)
. Hack squats 2x6-10
. Leg Press 2x6-10
. Conventional Deadlift 3x3-5 (Heavy, swapping order with Deads depending on plateaus)
. Lying Leg Curls 2x6-10

I have a different setup that I'm going to follow for my next bulk though.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Maybe it's funny but my gym doesnt have Leg Press machine and i dont fan of Back Squats after Hack Squats.. More important is Compounds right? Why whats wrong with this Lower Power Day?
Calf Raise 3set - 10 rep
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I'd personally drop the extensions and do lunges instead. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Why whats wrong with this Lower Power Day?
Calf Raise 3set - 10 rep
Total 2 ab\'s movement 3set - 12 rep

I mean if you want to run it like this I would definitely do as @ek said and sub out the extensions, but PHAT was designed the way it was for a reason. So long as you keep the Quad:Hamstring exercise ratio even I guess you can just run it. I'm no expert though, just sharing my experience.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Frostshock thank you for your honesty answer and experience..

@Eknight okey i drop extension and i do lunge so,this rank is not problem right? Squat(heavy),Lunge,Deadlift(heavy) etc etc ..
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I would, personally, not squat and deadlift heavy in the same workout. Layne also advises against this for his routine. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Why not ? People doing always heavy Squat,OHP,Deadlift together Fullbody programs like a SS,SL5X5 I did too and still doing..

You know what,your old answer impressed me =) I found it while searching Before starting P.H.A.T. because this issue always in my mind =)
http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/5315/add-deadlifts-to-phat/
Post 9 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
In SS and 5x5, you don't DL and Squat heavy in the same workout. Whichever is the latter is going to be somewhat shitty considering you've expended so much energy doing the former.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@FrankCB my "old answer" is 2 year sold. I've evolved my thinking. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
If you do PHAT, dont do the dips. thats what fucked up my shoulder. my form was good but i still injured it. 130lb dips. its because dips are an unnatural movement and is a bad power movement because of the injury risks. dont get me wrong, i felt like the weighted dips helped put size on my chest but it also destroyed my right shoulder. be warned!

also agreed with EK on the lunges.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@xPerfidy SL5x5 doing Squat and Deadlift heavy in the same workout man.. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ people doing..

@Eknight yea i know old answer but I thought like you,because look Jonnie Candito,he's doing Upper/lower split and Lower day Squat/Deadlift doing together Heavy.

so,What can you suggest I do ??

@Jelet maybe your form is not good or You're not doing a good stretching before workout
What did you replace it with ??

Edit: What does this mean ''after you finish with your speed work for the day you should train basically like you normally would for a bodybuilder. Your rep range should be 8-20 and keep your rest periods to 1-2 minutes between sets ''

After my speed bench press 6x3,if i want,doing 1 set 8-20 rep bench press too ? or ..??
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@FrankCB Stronglifts isn't PHAT. If you're doing PHAT, you're doing a lot more volume. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

Why are you fixated on this? The guy who designed the program advises not to do it. What do you know that he doesn't? -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Eknight because i see a lot people Lower day doing Squat/Deadlift together and im doing too but i wondering this issue and asking.. But I did not get a full answer..
What should I do now Lower Power days..? (Squat/Deadlift)
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I actually DID answer you. I'll do it again: squat OR deadlift; lunges or leg press; prone leg curls; seated leg curls; standing calf; seated calf.

Just because you see other people doing something, doesn't mean it's correct or optimal. I see people doing incline bench press thinking they're working their upper pecs. I see people using various grip widths and hand placement thinking they can hit one head of the biceps more. I see people doing leg raises thinking they're dynamically working the "lower abs." None of those things are correct, but I still see it happening. -3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
Understand your say =) got it ..
So if i dont conventional deadlift lower power days,can i doing SL Deadlift (as program say) if i do,how about this

Squat
HackSquat or Lunge
SLDL
Leg Curl
Calf Raises
2 ab movement like cable crunch,leg raise (dont crazy)
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
That's a good set-up. I would keep the SLDL in the 8-10 rep range. -3X
Post 18 IP   flag post
Got it Thank you Eknight..
Do you have any other suggestionsi,tips for example ''Upper power day dont do Dips,switch another movement'' or ''Back/Shoulders dont do Upright rows '' etc etc.. ?
Post 19 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Honestly, based on your questions, my suggestion is that you're not ready for PHAT and should maybe consider something like 5x5 or 531. -3X
Post 20 IP   flag post
340764 20 20
destitute