Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ArmsBackChestFemale Fitness

pull-ups14008

evymk private msg quote post Address this user
Hi there, I'm in need of some technique advise concerning my pull-ups. At the beginning of this year I couldn't even do a flexed arm hang for more than 5 seconds, so I would say I'm pretty satisfied with my improvement as I finally reached 8 pull-ups today. I still haven't reached my goal and I want to improve even more. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thank you very much! xx
Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Some people would say to lean back as you do the pullup. almost as if there is a wall infront of you and you are trying to look up over the bar you are pulling up on. Congrats on progress and continue to work at it! I used to suck at pullups too and ive gotten much better. A great feeling i must say.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I've seen some people do that, but their lower body seems to way too far towards the "wall" when they do so.. Is that correct or do they just do it wrong? I thought you were supposed to keep your body semi-straight while doing them?

Thank you for your answer by the way. And thank you for congratulating me, it really is a great feeling going from zero to multiple reps.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats on the pullups!
Couple things I know help me:
-False grip (You already do this)
-Think of it as a 2 part movement. Scapular retraction first (Pinch your shoulder blades together) and SQUEEZE with your back instead of pulling with your arms.
-Breathing, nice Deep breaths going up

Here's some reading for ya champ:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/things_you_should_know_how_to_do_1_the_pullup
Post 4 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
^^was about to post the same exact link.

As long as you feel the proper muscles work then your form is fine. Everyone is different.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thank you!! Um.. I tried googling it, but didn't quite get it. Whats a false grip?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Its a thumbless grip.
Post 7 IP   flag post

Post 8 IP   flag post
Oh, Thank you!
Post 9 IP   flag post
hollyhopeful5678 private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats on your progress!! How many pull ups is your goal?

What did you do to be able to go from 0 to 8, did you use an assisted pull up machine to gain strength enough to do them or just kept at it until you got up?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhopeful5678
Congrats on your progress!! How many pull ups is your goal?

What did you do to be able to go from 0 to 8, did you use an assisted pull up machine to gain strength enough to do them or just kept at it until you got up?

Thank you! My initial goal was 10 by the end of 2014, but after realizing I have a lot more will power than I thought I changed it to 10 by the time I go home for summer, and 20 by Christmas.

I started out doing negatives, trying to lower myself down in the most amount of time possible. I did this four times, while doing bench press in between each set. I did this twice a week and then I used a rubber band doing as many as I could four times, twice a week. I also did other back exercises such as pulldowns, dumbell shoulder press, facepulls and such.

As soon as I could do 3 reps I stopped using the rubber band.

I must say, negatives are painful and I almost cried several times, but pain is temporary. I just set my mind to it.

Good luck, if you're working towards pull-ups! You can do it!
Post 11 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
This is all you need to know.

Post 12 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe I shouldn't post this question but it jumped out at me while reading the t-nation article.

"(obscure fact: the lower part of our pectoral muscles and the long head of the triceps are involved in a minor way when we do chin-ups through the full range of motion)"

I've read so much on here about upper chest and lower chest on here that this made me stop in the middle of the article and think, what? Lower part of the chest?

And I just don't understand.

If the chest is involved isn't the whole chest involved?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiTu
Maybe I shouldn\'t post this question but it jumped out at me while reading the t-nation article.

\"(obscure fact: the lower part of our pectoral muscles and the long head of the triceps are involved in a minor way when we do chin-ups through the full range of motion)\"

I\'ve read so much on here about upper chest and lower chest on here that this made me stop in the middle of the article and think, what? Lower part of the chest?

And I just don\'t understand.

If the chest is involved isn\'t the whole chest involved?

And then we wait for ek to save the day!
I would ASSUME so - Couldn't say for an absolute fact.
Post 14 IP   flag post
teewhat private msg quote post Address this user
Would this not be refering to the serratus anterior, its a similar movement to a DB pullover (both exercises start in shoulder flexion moving through shoulder extension) which may be the reason why the "lower" chest (serratus anterior) gets involved.
Post 15 IP   flag post
jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
@nine0seven super wide grip pull ups hurt my shoulder
Post 16 IP   flag post
teewhat private msg quote post Address this user
@jja0016 probably due to rotator ROM, or improper form during the pull
Post 17 IP   flag post
340752 17 17
destitute