Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Diet AdviceFemale FitnessMacrosTraining ProgramsWTF

1 Year Lifting - not the results I hoped for13998

pinkbp private msg quote post Address this user
I just celebrated my year anniversary of hitting the heavy weights!

I spent this past year training HARD. I ignored what all my friends were saying that heavy lifting would make me manly.. well I can assure you I do not look bulky.. and it is VERY hard for me to put on muscle even by eating a calorie surplus and lifting heavy! I just enjoy lifting so much.

I experimented a lot this year - different programs, switching it up, less cardio, more cardio, olympic lifts, low sets, high sets, you name it. I gave every "program" I did a fair shot - at least 4 weeks before I either moved on or added to it. I worked hard to keep changing my workouts, increasing weight and adding reps.

After a year of watching what I eat, macro counting, sweating balls, and being obsessed with fitness, I do not "see" the results I thought I would see. When I say results - I mean I thought I would look like a bikini fitness model.. and with summer so close, I am kind of disappointed since I thought a year was more than enough time to change my body.

Wait! Before you sigh while reading this, I HAVE had strength and fitness results: I can lift A LOT.. more than most guys, can run sprints for 45 minutes without stopping (when I started I couldnt run a slow pace for more than 10 minutes), can do a spin class followed by an intense weight session and make it through.. all of this i COULD NOT have done a year ago. So I have definitely improved my health and fitness levels drastically.

I will say however I have not noticed a lot of aesthetic changes.. or at least changes that reflect how much I sweat and lift on a daily basis (I wear a calorie strap and burn 700-1000 calories per gym session). I have followed "transformation" plans on sites like bodybuilding.com and see these women who worked out for 6 months and look TOTALLY transformed with way less body fat. I am 5'9" and 168lbs... and have not lost a POUND since I started last year. Not even a pound.. I am still the same weight. I have not lost any inches though some people say I look better...I have not had a drastic change. I yearn to look like a bikini fitness model..

I am wondering how this is possible?? I still have a layer of fat that surrounds my muscles that will not go away... I have tried eating less, more, WAY less, more carbs, less carbs.. completely following my macros and nothing seems to work.. NO matter how much I eat or how little, I dont seem to lose any fat (especially around my tummy). I know I have muscle underneath waiting to come out, but unfortunately I dont know what to do!!!! I can't possibly workout harder than I am now.. and my diet is on point.

Does anyone have any suggestions???? Do you think there is something wrong with my body where it literally just wants to stay this weight?

Please help

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Elminister private msg quote post Address this user
http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13958/simply-shredded-faq/

That article has all the info you need.

And one year is not much in terms of bodybuilding and fitness. What I can conclude from your write-up:
-You are slightly impatient and want fast results. Unfortunately, if you're natural, it doesn't go that way. Take a look at this log for instance http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13590/page/1/danimals-2014-contest-prep-log/ . After a full year of proper bulking, danimal is expecting to have gained 2-5 lbs of lean body mass. It's just how human body works.

-You're switching up too many programs and I guess diets as well. Choose a program, stick to it. Four weeks for a program is nothing. Your body will barely start adapting to it by four weeks mark. Most guys here change their programs once or twice a year. Decide whether you want to bulk to gain more muscle (and some more fat, can't go around it) or if you want to cut (keep your lean body mass more or less the same, but reduce body fat).

TLDR:
Read the above FAQ, decide on macros, choose a program, stick to it. You obviously have the will to carry this out. Now you just need some patience and proper knowledge.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
You say you were following macros...If this is the case you would have found out your caloric maintenance level estimate. Then consumed 200-400 calories less than that EVERY DAY. It would literally have been impossible to not lose a pound over a year. So what you stated doesnt add up. If what you thought was maintenance didnt lose you anything the first few weeks, should have dropped it another 100 calories, and another 100, then another until you started losing. You can elude yourself saying you did everything but if you truly followed your macros you would have lost it.

4 weeks is not a "fair" shot for a "program" just so you know
Post 3 IP   flag post
jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
follow macros and weigh yourself weekly.. why is that hard?

you seem dedicated.. youll get through this

also keep researching and looking around on this site as that helped me alot when I was going through a tough time starting out.

your first post is very similar to mine http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/9511/extremely-serious-beginner/
lol, i was a bit crazier than you though.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
A year? Those girls train balls out for 5-10 to look like that. Temper your expectations. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Alot of before and after pictures are utter bullshit. Also, did you take any before and after pictures? It can be quite hard to spot any differences on yourself, since you know, you see yourself every day.
Post 6 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
It sound like you jumped around a lot when it came to your training and macros. Try sticking to something for at least 3 months. Takes time for the neurological system to adapt to programs and make gains. If you had a pic when you started and a pic today I'm sure you look different.

Make short term goals and long term goals that are realistic. With that being said pick a program, stick to it for a minimum of 3 months and really try to progress well in it. Also when it comes to macros try not to make huge drastic changes (don't see weight loss drop 5-20carbs for next week and occasionally 2-5g fats). Also, don't go overboard with cardio. 1-3 sessions should suffice.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Agreed with all of the above, it just seems like you may have had program/diet ADD. It can become discouraging not to see results in 3 weeks, but thinking of how I saw 3 weeks as a beginner and how I see 3 weeks now doing periodized linear progression programs is like night and day.

Most of the 3-9 week "transformations" are people that were very sedentary and probably either have genetics that make them respond VERY well to strength training, lost a ton of weight and became "Skinny fat" or just people that lied about the actual time it took to get the body they have - Or its just not that great of a body.

Don't worry about how other people look in X amount of time, worry about your diet, pay attention to your weight and how it correlates to net amt of calories youve eaten that week, track how much weight you're lifting and if it improves. It's great that you've got a nice starting fitness base, now you have a forum with the knowledge to sculpt your body - Just remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint to the finish.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Eat2Trainn247 private msg quote post Address this user
@pinkbp congratulations on consistently hitting the weights for a year. That in and of itself is a huge accomplishment that most people cannot say they have done. With that being said, here are a few things to think about...

-most people underestimate their dedication to nutrition. If you are not weighing out 100% of your intake than you cannot say you are giving 110% effort and control to you nutrition

-taking the time to really learn and appreciate optimal
approach to nutrition goes a long way. Nutrition can make a great athlete good or a good athlete great. Learning how protein, carbs and fat effect energy, performance and recovery will go a long way in helping you reach your goals. More importantly, developing a healthy relationship with food is KEY. No food should be off limits. All is okay in moderation as no single food makes you fat.

-to echo what was stated above, yes, you need to give more than 4 weeks to a training program to allow for optimal neural adaptation to reap the benefits

-each individual stores fat in different areas. For me personally, the last bit of fat to go is my legs. This is just genetics. Consistency in the kitchen can definitely help rid this though

-think long-term. focus on developing a healthy relationship with food, and safe, optimal, effective training habits that will enable you to exercise and enjoy life for decades to come. The progress will take care of itself in time.

-remember that for 99.9% of us, weight lifting is just a hobby. It should be fun and ENJOYED. Do not stress about it and let it consume you. Make it part of your LIFEstyle
Post 9 IP   flag post
golagola private msg quote post Address this user
@pinkbp
i think your problem is that u as me u dont belive in yourself and changing every singel day to a new routine / new nutrition etc....
just stick to the same routine and same nutrition for at least 6 months and u will see good result (i belive)
i dont think there is a bad genetic or something just belive in yourself and dont listan to paggot from the gym ,
this is the best site u can find all the knowledge u need start here !
Post 10 IP   flag post
340609 10 10
destitute