Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestSplit Advice

** Useful Bench TIPS... (Vid)13940

FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
I seen this video before my bench day today and i REALLY like the hand grip position and the way jason shows how to grip the bar.
When i apply this to my bench it REALLY helps me stay tight all over and SCREW the weight back up.

Enjoy and hope u get something from this.

Bench GAINZ....
Post 1 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
I dislike Blaha so much that I don't even wanna watch the video, but tightness is rather important so here's my take:

There's two general ways to get really tight, both with cons and pros:

1.) This is the way I do it, lay on the bench with the bar way above your head, grab it, put your feet on the bench and lift your ass as high as you can (the general cannon way to bench overall, lolololo hehehehe), slide a bit on your traps while trying to wiggle in your shoulders, make sure your neck is fully stuck to the bench, carefully put your feet down, one at a time, while keeping pressure to ensure your shoulders dont fall out. Dont put your ass down, keep it up while you unrack (this is allowed in competition and generally recommended unless you have a spotter unrack for you), and after you unracked the weight put your ass down,

Pro's:
-best way if you wanna unrack the bar yourself
-really gets your shoulders together, really the only way to do it if your bench is too narrow
-easy on your lower back

con's:
-you won't be able to arch as much as possible (if you dont want to, then its obviously not a con)
-it's a hassle sometimes and may require several re-setups

I don't have a clip of this as I have recently done it a bit alternatively where you are more certain to get your ass stuck to the bench where you put your ass on the bench before unracking, allowing you to rotate your hips more and sit on the bench with your scrotum. here's this alternative: (sorry for taking a personal record vid, not trying to show off anything but I don't do it on lower weights)

2.) This is the way that most major powerlifters teach, it's kind of hard to explain in text so I'll just link a video with master Tate.

pro's
-easy to get right, which is good because you'll want to be able to do something repetitively without hassle
-huge tightness, can break your own back arching if you want
-easier to get a good height on your chest

con's
-hard to utilize properly if you have to have your heels touching the ground
-a bit harder to get shoulders in
-painful

clip: from 1.30 and forward
Post 2 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
just imo
Post 3 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
Saw this the other day and tried out the grip tips. Felt awkward first time but I'm going to give it another go later this week.
Post 4 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
@FiremanSi thanks for posting this brutha man, the past few days I've been dying to find a proper bench vid on grip position.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@nine0seven No bother my man.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to lay on the bench, grab the bar, and just unleash the fucking animal. #Realpower -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
I tend to lay on the bench, grab the bar, and just unleash the fucking animal. #Realpower -3X

No doubt brother but ur technique is engraved into u and u got skills some of us still learnin that shiii so we can smash bench and make it our bitch like urself.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Lol. I really don't have all that great technique. I have anger. Lots of it. LOADS of it. The only thing I've really done is worked a little on my arch, but I've never used anything like the above. Maybe I'll try it next time I bench heavy. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
@eknight Jesus.. ek with anger AND technique... = 4X
Post 10 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@FiremanSi thanks for posting that vid. I've noticed that I can grip the bar much tighter if I hold it at the base of my palm (seems to activate the tris) but I never considered turning my hands out slightly then screwing them in on the way down and out on the way up.

I can see how this will help. Keen to try it out. Thanks again!
Post 11 IP   flag post
@mikew Exact same as myself mate.. anytime.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely going to try the palms thing and the setup by scap retraction FIRST and trying to be on my traps more.
Post 13 IP   flag post
340752 13 13
destitute