Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Diet AdviceIntroductionNewbieSupplementsTraining Programs

New Simply Shredded13883

Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
245 lbs is a lot of weight, and with that weight comes a need for energy. A lot of people have no idea how much they should actually be eating. If you're accurately putting your info into the page that @Frostshock linked, then I would go from there. The only reason that the number would be skewed is if you had damaged your metabolism in the past.
Post 26 IP   flag post
whitey710 private msg quote post Address this user
well that's what kinda sucks @Perfidy, I'm on anti-depressants (lexapro) which i found out today from my Dr. kill your metabolism. I'm looking into metabolism boosters.

So, just because i suck with numbers, if MFP is saying 2190 and this is saying 3659, would it be better to go with 2600 and risk losing too muhc weight or go with 3200 and risk putting on weight?
Post 27 IP   flag post
and i havent figured out how to edit a post yet but the dr's office scale put me at 256 today. So I'm actually 11lbs hevaier than i originally mentioned.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat2Trainn247
Pick a number somewhere in the middle of all the calculations you have done

As I said, eventually after initially experimenting with your numbers you'll find your actual maintenance. At 255, you're a big dude. That requires a lot of calories to maintain.

Did you immediately start eating at 2200 calories? You would probably lose weight for sure, but it would be a combination of muscle AND fat resulting in a "Skinny-fat" type look. Also, if you started at a massive deficit right away, when you DO plateau in weight loss (Which you will) you'll have to go FURTHER into a deficit furthering the vicious cycle of fat AND muscle loss.

Try eating at your different maintenances. You'll notice one of them will keep you full all day and your weight will stay in a reasonable range. Keep that maintenance as your ACTUAL maintenance and then just simply start slowly cutting (Remember that cardio will further your deficit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat2Trainn247
You will want to lose 1-2 lbs. in the beginning and eventually slow to 0.5-1.0 lbs./week in order to protect muscle mass as much as possible
This also

MyFitnessPal keeps telling me that I'll be 173lbs in 5 weeks if I keep eating at 3300 calories but I'm actually LOSING weight (From 168lbs). These calculators are just a way to give you a ROUGH estimation of your maintenance/metabolic capacity. You'll have to do some experimenting to find your real maintenance but when you find it, it'll be easy as hell to manage as long as you track it.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@frostshock, you are a fitness knowledge god! thanks for the clarification man. means a ton
Post 30 IP   flag post

Gunther private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey710
@frostshock, you are a fitness knowledge god! thanks for the clarification man. means a ton
Show @Frostshock some love....give the dude some reps for helping you out. Click the green thumbs up icon a few times by his name.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@whitey710 Haha thanks, just regurgitating shit I've learned from @Eknight @Firemansi & @NorIda (doesn't post as much anymore) , just lurk on some/most of their threads on interesting content and/or all of the questions you may have and you'll learn FUCK loads of stuff.

There's tons of other dudes that know their shit on here that just don't post as much so don't be afraid to just use the tags on the left and go through popular threads or titles that interest you particularly. You'll learn a TON and most of the time there will be scientific studies to back it up.

Good luck to you man, hope you stick around, make a log, and ask any more questions that you may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey710
Show @Frostshock some love....give the dude some reps for helping you out. Click the green thumbs up icon a few times by his name.

My Hero :..)
Post 32 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
Be careful not to change your deficit too drastically. Suddenly eating at a big deficit will only slow down your metabolism even more... this is why frostshock said to slowly cut calories. Your body will basically go into self preservation mode and your energy levels will drop.
Post 33 IP   flag post
quick question guys/gals, i took thurs,friday,sat,and sunday off. Today was chest and tri's. I felt very weak during both groups. Repped 225 twice but failed epically with tri's. Last week i was pulling down 75 and today i couldnt get past 30.... It was even worse for dips and hammer heads.

Can this be attributed to this only being my second week lifting?
Is it normal to be strong your first session and then see a dramatic decrease thereafter?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Possibly trying to do too advanced of a program for your experience level
Sleep could be a factor
Diet
Just a bad day in general

I'll have some days where I rep 315 x 5 like it's no one's business and others where 315 feels like -

Point is, run something for 2-3 weeks before you make any rash decisions about changes in your training, especially when there's tons of factors that play into what you're doing.

I still think you should run the Stronglifts 5x5 program I gave you at the start of the thread though just because of your experience level though.
Post 35 IP   flag post
http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13844/gained-10kgs-and-need-to-lose--help/

this thead?
Post 36 IP   flag post
Post #3 has the nutrition stuff in it but here's the program I was talking about:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
Post 37 IP   flag post
okay. i downloaded it. Im fairly skeptical. Have you or anyone else performed this routine with the suggested results? I really dont want to waste 12 weeks finding out this is bogus.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Download? You shouldn't have had to download anything, just read the page and any of the FAQ articles - The page itself has the workout template on it:

I did for a year when I first started lifting, albeit with GOD-awful form but I made consistent gains

For a more notable example we had @SOLARSUPLEX running it for awhile after he started - the guy gained TONS of strength and muscle (The newbie gains were strong with that one) and can now move on to a more intermediate program.

Most of the regulars here have already done it when they started yeaaars ago and there's actually a couple that went back to it and made great progress.

The program I'm running as well as about 60-70% of the forum (they either ARE running it or HAVE ran it)- 5/3/1 - Incorporates the lifts from this program, builds upon it & is actually centered around the big 3 (and ohp)

I've preached over and over about it in so many threads the last 2 weeks - It really is a great program. It builds functional full body strength, teaches Progressive Overload, it's short yet extremely effective, only 3x a week and it builds essential technique for the big compound lifts used in 99% of the intermediate and advanced programs.

You'll be tired and have DOMs, but not to the debilitating point that you're describing for your split - the best part is you can visibly track your weekly progress to the pound and there's entire articles written on the website addressing form & plateauing.

Make sure your nutrition is in check and you'll be set.
Post 39 IP   flag post
the download was the entire program book with stories and real life testimonies etc.

Im down to try this. Especially when you say the DOMS wont be de-habilitating.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Ooooh shit, didn't know that! I just read the website haha

Yeah, it's a full body workout - You'll grow but as I said your muscles won't be completely fried after each workout.
Post 41 IP   flag post
im pretty excited to try this out tomorrow.
Post 42 IP   flag post
why the hell does it have you working legs 3 times a week? im supposed to work legs today but im still sore from wednesday.
Post 43 IP   flag post
@whitey710 Hahaha you'll get used to the DOMs man. Best thing for it is to get up and walk or do light jogging or bodyweight squats - Just get some blood flowing to where you're sore.

Can also invest in a foam roller, hurts like fucking hell for the first week but after a while it starts to become like your own personal masseuse.
Post 44 IP   flag post
see i was thinking until im out of bitch leg mode, i could do biceps since theyre no where in the routine exercises. Think that would suffice? and still do legs on monday and friday? BTW, how are you always the first one to see my thread comments lol.
Post 45 IP   flag post
seriously though, whats the thinking behind working legs 3 times a week and everything else once? doesent make much sense to me.
Post 46 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You're not working everything else once. The bench press and shoulder press work almost the exact same muscle groups, just in different planes of motion. Barbell rows and deads are posterior chain movements that both work some of the same muscles as well. -3X
Post 47 IP   flag post
so Im already seeing great gains in strength. What file types can I upload to show my progress? apparently not excel lol. I also tried paint in txt and jpeg. Any recommendations?
Post 48 IP   flag post
If you're trying to do an excel file you can just open it up, click your start button and type "snipping tool" use that - and just upload the pic with the "upload image" button above the forum text box.
Post 49 IP   flag post

Post 50 IP   flag post
lol here it is. just uber smallll
Post 51 IP   flag post
well, I screwed up pretty bad. Went out for some cardio/fun to an indoor trampoline warehouse and 3 weeks later, find myself at the Dr's office with left leg pain. Got myself a stress fracture on the top of my fibula. Doc says no legs for at least 6 weeks this is killing me because i just got into the strong lifts 5x5 workouts. Everyday you need to work legs. Any ideas on what to do? abandon the plan and do something different? or should i subsitute legs for another muscle group?
Post 52 IP   flag post
340616 52 27
destitute