Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BenchChestPlateau Busting

5X5 is still kicking my ass13880

Sedlo18 private msg quote post Address this user
I was platued on my bench 5X5 at 205, and I soon realized it was because I made an air head move and was slapping 5's on each week in stead of 2.5's. So I was adding 10lb every week in stead of 5 and thats why I plautued so quickly. So I asked around about it and I was told to drop it back down 10 or 15lbs and work my self back up correctly and i should bust the plaute. Sure enough, blew through 170, 175, then 180 and finaly got the 205 for 5X5 while I was on vacation in florida this past week. Today was my first chest day back from vacation and I was expecting the trend to keep up and be able to complete 210 but I failed on the second set. THE SECOND SET! Felt like i had added 20lbs to the bar. Now im just at a loss as to what to do. Do I go for the 210 again next week or drop it down to 205 again? or try somting completly differnt? I just dont know. Bench has allways been a sticky point for me, my deads, millitary, squat and CG bench 5X5s ive had zero problems with sence I realized my initial error. Ive been struggling with it for months and its getting really old! if anyone could help me out it would be awesome. Happy lifting
Post 1 IP   flag post
OhhLoLo private msg quote post Address this user
id suggest your accessory work on chest days to be that which would help you break your bench press plateaus. maybe your chest is not the weak part but your triceps or shoulders?
Post 2 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Go slower. Go back to 185 and do it. Then do 185 again. Then do 200. Then do it again. Do every weight twice. Make sure you are resting enough between sets. Warm up correctly and dont half ass it.

Next part is what ohhlolo said, Maybe you just have baby bitch triceps that arent working for you. Hit them dips and close grip bench
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Might want to completely switch over to DB bench too. My bench stalled really bad for awhile and I switched over to DBs for PHAT for 6-7 months - My bench keeps hitting PRs damn near weekly and I'm almost to the 225 club
Post 4 IP   flag post
jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
eat more food?
Post 5 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
There are a few things you can do or make sure you are doing.

-Take up to 2-3 minutes of rest between sets...this helps a ton when you are on that 4th and 5th set.
-Drop the weight down about 20lbs and work back up. If you plateau again then drop the weight down and change to a 5x3 and work with that until you plateau again.
-Eat enough to fuel your gains.
-Get the SL 5x5 app
- If you have been on this routine for 8 or more weeks you should maybe take a deload week before you reset to a lower weight.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Sedlo18 private msg quote post Address this user
@SOLARSUPLEX Okay yeah thats what I was thinking acctually ill give it a shot. and did you mean go to from 185 to 190 or actually go all the way up to 200 very next week?
Post 7 IP   flag post
jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
up cals by 1000. goodbye plateau
Post 8 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedlo18
@SOLARSUPLEX Okay yeah thats what I was thinking acctually ill give it a shot. and did you mean go to from 185 to 190 or actually go all the way up to 200 very next week?

Well you should be lifting only 3x a week. so bench would be every other workout. So im saying on workout A do 185x5x5. B do whatever. Then next workout A do 185x5x5 again. THEN B, then a again, but do 190x5x5. Get what im saying?
Post 9 IP   flag post
mattd534 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja0016
up cals by 1000. goodbye plateau

straight way to fat city :P
Post 10 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja0016
eat more food?
Post 11 IP   flag post