Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingDiet AdviceIntroductionTraining Programs

Slow Bulk, journey begings!13792

montana84 private msg quote post Address this user
hi all,

im new to this site and just want some thoughts regarding slow bulking. Im a naturally skinny guy been goin the gym on and off for years with poor results. Looking to take it serious now.

My stats are 29 yr old male 6 2" 165 pounds yes 165!

ive spent the last 3 months trying to lean down before bulking, really wanted to be leaner than i am (sub 10% ) but just not enough muscle there to support that level of body fat.

I estimate im currently around the 13% mark, ive attched some pics ( not great qulaity apologies)

My main question would be what is an ideal body weight target from my slow bulk im guessing around 200lbs?? before a proper committed cut maybe down to 180??. Also i was thinking around 3000 cals on training days and 2700 on rest days, wanna keep fat gains to a minimum.

Training wise im looking at medhis stronglifts 5x5, wanna get my deads squats and bench up thats my main focus on the bulk, with the theory being extra strength equals extra size.

My long term aim in a 180-200lbs sub 10% bf physique, im guessing 2-3 years minimum.

Any advice regarding trainig diet and goals would be appreciated.

Post 1 IP   flag post
anyone ????
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana84
My stats are 29 yr old male 6 2\" 165 pounds yes 165!

ive spent the last 3 months trying to lean down before bulking, really wanted to be leaner than i am (sub 10% ) but just not enough muscle there to support that level of body fat.

I estimate im currently around the 13% mark, ive attched some pics ( not great qulaity apologies)

My main question would be what is an ideal body weight target from my slow bulk im guessing around 200lbs?? before a proper committed cut maybe down to 180??. Also i was thinking around 3000 cals on training days and 2700 on rest days, wanna keep fat gains to a minimum.

Training wise im looking at medhis stronglifts 5x5, wanna get my deads squats and bench up thats my main focus on the bulk, with the theory being extra strength equals extra size.

My long term aim in a 180-200lbs sub 10% bf physique, im guessing 2-3 years minimum.

Alright lets see here. 13-15% range for bf, hard to tell without back/leg pictures. You can set a goal for 200 lbs but really you can just get as big as you like.

Don't eat any different on training/rest days, rest days are the days that you grow. Say you do eat 3k on w/o days and 2700 on rest, if you do every other day your average intake will just be 3000+2700 / 2 = 2850 surplus. Reverse diet to a suitable surplus where you're gaining weight and stick with it. Once your gains stop in the gym & scale, up your surplus by 100 cals.

How long have you been training seriously? Not exactly the best at programming but I would think if you're looking for size/mass you would want program with more hypertrophy type sets involved. Not saying that you should neglect the strength aspect of training though*
Post 3 IP   flag post
I have been training on and off for years but always more focus on isloation excercises, chest n triceps, back n biceps days etc, never much focus on legs or compound lifts.

I assumed this is where I was going wrong, I figure that if I can get my squat deadlift and bench numbers up the size should come.

Im not looking to be huge but want a good solid base of muscle to support a single digit body fat thats my end goal

Hypertrophy sets?? what does that involve?

Also going back to diet, it makes sense what you say about rest day cals, im just concerned about fat gains on a long term bulk, especailly if my body fat is 13-15% now.

Im thinking a 250 surplus above maintainence nothing above that?
Post 4 IP   flag post
maximus24 private msg quote post Address this user
@montana84 I would suggest to eat in a surplus where you gain 0.5lbs every week or even every two weeks. Just slowly add calories until you find where that is. Make sure you are hitting correct percentage of macronutrients and fiber.

As far as training goes I would work on getting your big three up so you can have a foundation. However, if you wanted hypertrophy as well you could do a push, pull, legs split because this focuses on strength but has hypertrophy movements as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ok well i am thinkning of tweaking the stronglifts programme anyway, was gonna add some wide grip and close grip weighted pull ups and also weighted dips aswell.

But wondering wether 4 or 5 big compound excercises per workout might be a bit too much, I know medhi is adament that you should not add excercises to the programme but guess il see how i progress.

Definetly gonna add cals slowly may just start at maintenance for a couple of weeks and slowly add from there.
Post 6 IP   flag post
maximus24 private msg quote post Address this user
@montana84 yeah man just remember less is more in the gym. Took me awhile to figure that out. I always wanted to do every exercise, but honestly growth is about progressive overload so if you're doing a bunch of exercises you probably aren't going to grow much at each one. However, if you pick a couple exercises and focus on them it will be easier to progress on those exercises and get stronger and bigger.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Yeah see what your saying, thats the trap ive fallen into in the past, guess the extra pull ups and dips will detract from my squat, bench and deadlifts.

Appreciate the advice bro
Post 8 IP   flag post
340621 8 8
destitute