Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Konstantinov private msg quote post Address this user
I've decided to switch up my PHAT routine a little by switching out hack squats with front squats, for 3 sets of 8-12. As I've never really done them before I'd like some tips or info on them... what kinda grip and stance works best for you and what the differences are. Also, is it generally a good swap or should I keep hack squats in there?
Post 1 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
I would use a clean grip, elliot Hulse does a lot of videos on front squats and if you have problems with the front rack position then Kelly starrett has loads of mobility vids on it
Post 2 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
@Konstantinov use straps to help my grip (picture attached). Narrower stance then my back squats (back squat with a wide stance). I enjoy throwing them in every once in a while. Definitely much more of a quad dominant movement so I think they are a great substitution for hack squat. Also gives the lower back a nice workout.

Post 3 IP   flag post
I only use the straps because I am not even close to having the flexibility for a clean grip. If I could use a clean grip I would though.
Post 4 IP   flag post
bslo private msg quote post Address this user
I find that when I do front squats I keep my balance and back straighter with more depth and a much more narrow stance.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks guys. I think my spine needs some flexibility work to get that form down.. could feel the bar pressing against my throat when trying them today.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Konstantinov working on the grip will solve this. Its a good sign that the bar was against your throat. That is where you want it. Once you pick a grip it will help you to keep the bar from choking you too much.
Post 7 IP   flag post
jtbull1987 private msg quote post Address this user
Have u tried the cross-armed style?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@jtbull1987 yes I tried both, not sure which I prefer, which is why I made this thread
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Cross armed is supposed to be dangerous and when I do it - about 5 reps in it starts getting hard to breath for some reason. The straps that @grizz mentioned is a really great way to do it if you don't have a good clean grip.

I personally love them but they are rediculously taxing when you do them for reps. Definitely planning on re-implementing them soon though.
Post 10 IP   flag post
jtbull1987 private msg quote post Address this user
I've never had a problem with them but I've never goe really that heavy cross-armed.... I could see how they could be uncomfortable ... I wish I had the flexibility to do them the correct way but biceps to big...just joking
Post 11 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
@Frostshock How are they dangerous? Just curious because thats how ive done them for a long time and it feels fine.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
If you do use straps, work your way to a clean grip. I started my friend on front squats not too long ago, and he couldn't get his elbows past 45 degrees. Now after a couple weeks of flexibility work, he can get to 90 easily. Just put in the time to do it correctly.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
@cassious Was watching a matt ogus video and I guess it just makes you more prone to slipping with the bar compared to a clean grip? Personally cross armed is just really uncomfortable and awkward to me but if you're not having a problem with it I don't see why you couldn't use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPerfidy
If you do use straps, work your way to a clean grip. I started my friend on front squats not too long ago, and he couldn't get his elbows past 45 degrees. Now after a couple weeks of flexibility work, he can get to 90 easily. Just put in the time to do it correctly.

This
Post 14 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
There's no beating the clean grip. It's difficult at first, but work on it, master it, and it's totally worth it.

Stretch those wrists. Start off with clean grip on just your warmup sets. As the weight gets heavier you'll see it becomes more difficult. You then can move to use the straps. Little by little you'll be able to go further with the clean grip and eventually won't need the straps anymore.

Remember, you only need 2-3 fingertips on it and keep those elbows up as high as you can. The bar should be resting across your clavicle and front delts and not really relying on the fingers being there.
Post 15 IP   flag post
golagola private msg quote post Address this user
i always do and did front squat in my routine as i workout home ,
the first month u get very hard to do front squat after that it feel more comportable than regular squat and u can get more deep and with oly shoes or any shoes with heel it even feel better .
Post 16 IP   flag post
340732 16 16
destitute