Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit Advice

StrengthCalc's PHAT Program layout13785

Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
Good evening guys, just wanted to run something by you really quickly. I just ended SS, made great gains but am looking now to do PHAT. I found PHAT on strengthcalc and wanted to see what you guys thought about how it's laid out.

https://strengthcalc.com/index.php?prog=phat

Please and thank you And if you don't want to follow the link to check it, I'll type it out after the gym in a couple hours.
Post 1 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
PHAT is a good program given you're diet is in check & you have enough experience.

Give us some stats, years of experience, diet, goals, ect. and we will give you our opinion. There's lots of guys (& oceanair) on this forum that will give you their thoughts on a routine best suited for your goals.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I know PHAT is a good program, but what i'm asking is the layout of the program from strengthcalc correct. Stats anyhow:

21 years old
190 Pounds
approx. 21% Bf
Approx. 9 months of lifting, 6 months of that serious w/ macros/diet in check.

Bench: 205x5
Squat: 315x3
DL: 305 now, was 350lb before I did a cut but working back up.
Row: 185
OVH Press: 145

Macros are as follows:
3048 Kcal/day
400g carb/190g protein/76g fats.

I'm looking for moderate strength gains but I want to start building up some size also, hence PHAT. Looking to get slightly bigger than what people would consider "lifting for aesthetics". More like "scare little children" big :P, but not Mr. Olympia big. Somewhere in the middle. And I do realize this will take years, I am not in any rush. @nine0seven
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
8 Sets of SDLs on a power day especially after squats is going to be murder. That would be better suited for a hyper day.

3 x 20 for Shrugs seems a bit excessive as well

Shoulders Hyper is only hitting the lateral deltoid and ignoring the anterior & posterior so that definitely should be fixed.

Lower hyper could use 3 more sets of a quad dominant movement and 3 less sets for RDLs

Chest Hyper Day could use 2 more sets of chest with a 15-20 rep range, volume for biceps/triceps is kind of uneven but I never worry about arms too much. Would definitely drop a set and increase the reps to 20 for those cable kickbacks though. Not exactly sure what "Spider Curls w/ Back against the wall" are either - Wouldn't it just be a regular curl?

Chest needs to be braced, not back

Not too shabby if you're lowering the volume to adjust with time but you'll want to nit pick and even out a few things first.
Here's my old PHAT Log if you want/need any ideas for exercises to switch out for which days as well as set/rep ranges. Strong lifts by the way man
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Frostshock I don't know how many reps i'm allowed to give you, but whatever the max is I would do, this exactly the type of critique I was looking/hoping for. Thank you very much for that.

I didn't see 8 sets of SDLs, I see 3x8. It honestly wasn't too bad, even after setting new PR that day I still powered through it.

The 3x20 shrugs I just did tonight for the first time, that was honestly a little excessive. I think 3x8-12 with a little heavier weight would be better.

How would I go about fixing hitting all heads of the shoulder?

As for hypertrophy leg day, should I swap out a hamstring isolation lift, such as the laying leg curls, for a quad dominating movement? Or keep it, and just an additional lift. Seven lifts seems a bit excessive though. What would be the best quad movement beside leg extensions, they're painful on my knees.

It says to include incline DB press on what hypertrophy day; I think I read on here, but I could be wrong, Eknight saying incline was useless? Maybe he could help clarify on this? I was thinking about throwing biceps into back/shoulder day, thoughts on this?

Thanks, I'm pretty close to my goals that I set that I wanted to hit in 1 year of lifting.
Post 5 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
To be honest, I'd focus more on getting some extra rear delt work in on shoulder hypo before the anterior. Things like rear edit row, face-pulls or reverse fly.

Incline press is by no means a useless exercise. Ek (myself and many others also) don't do them and choose to focus on flat bench. It still works your chest and shoulders. The reason you may have seen it described as useless is because of threads about the fabled "upper chest". A lot of people will say incline works "upper", but anyone informed knows there's no such thing. Whatever push movement you do just make sure to nail form and get some progression.

Finally, don't remove the hamstring isolation exercises. Better for your knees in the long run to balance quad and ham work.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@shannowman did a very nice job of summing that up. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Eat2Trainn247 private msg quote post Address this user
@Bucky If you want to start getting bigger than you need to appropriately target muscle hypertrophy. There are many pieces to the puzzle but incorporating a focus on mechanical tension, metabolic stress and muscle damage are all crucial.

Here's a much more in-depth read and explanation that is worth the time.

http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/articles/mechanisms_of_muscle_hypertrophy.pdf
Post 8 IP   flag post
maximus24 private msg quote post Address this user
@Bucky In to help anyway I can. I've ran phat before and think it's a great program. A lot of people have already given you great information now all you have to do is implement it. Good luck!
Post 9 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
@Frostshock spider curls are pretty much any curling motion where the bar is very close to your body with your elbows tucked back behind you. The bar is almost going straight up and down. When you use the wall your goal is to stand against it flat with your elbows/tris touching the wall while curling the bar. It's suppose to "isolate" the biceps.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannowman
Finally, don\'t remove the hamstring isolation exercises. Better for your knees in the long run to balance quad and ham work.

This is what I meant, not to remove them but to keep it all even.

@shannowman pretty much covered everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky
was thinking about throwing biceps into back/shoulder day, thoughts on this?
I wouldn't, I find myself having a lot more energy after chest/tris rather than back/shoulders.

@kickinchicken Learn something new everyday! I'll look up a video of wall spider curls to kind of get a better idea of what they look like but I think I get the premise.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Eat2Trainn247 private msg quote post Address this user
@kickinchicken I always called those drag curls haha interesting!
Post 12 IP   flag post
@shannowman Ahh I see, thank you for the clarification. That's exactly the situation I saw Eknight saying it was useless. So don't take away any hamstring exercises, just incorporate more quad dominant ones, gotcha.

@Eat2Trainn247 Thanks for the great read, I briefly had the chance to read through some of it, I'll finish up the rest tonight.

@Frostshock The reason I was thinking biceps on back/shoulder hypo day was because of the bicep assistance used in a lot of the lifts. Although I think I read somewhere about doing biceps on leg day actually, something to do with (growth? leutinizing?) hormones and more of it being available after doing squats, thus helping grow bigger biceps. Any input on this?
Post 13 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
Make sure your quad and ham work is balanced is the take away point. If you add more quad only do so to the point that ham and quad volume is equal.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannowman
Make sure your quad and ham work is balanced is the take away point. If you add more quad only do so to the point that ham and quad volume is equal.

This

As for biceps on leg day I would just do as the template describes. You've already changed up some of the set/rep schemes and now moving around accessories is just going to make it more confusing.

It is in fact just a template that is meant to have exercises swapped in/out but you have to consider that Layne set it up the way he did for a reason. Shoot for balance and address your weaknesses accordingly
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Frostshock Yea I guess you're right, I'll stick to the program. Yesterday I did the leg hypertrophy day.. holy hell. What an insanely HUGE difference than SS. I was almost falling over by the end haha. That was an exhausting workout like i've never felt before.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Haha it takes a couple of weeks to get used to but once you do, the leg pump is friggin amazing. Just stick with it and you'll make all sorts of gains
Post 17 IP   flag post
Haha yea, the leg pump was INSANE. I've never felt my glutes and quads feel so.. explosive. I was thinking about making a log for it on here, I keep a log in my workout journal of everything I do but never have done one online.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Exactly, when you hit each part of your legs that hard in one day it feels insane haha. I'd be in for a log if you make one, I find it tons easier to carry my phone for music and if I forget what weight I'm at or the rep scheme I'll just look at my log.
Post 19 IP   flag post
340614 19 19
destitute