Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Diet AdviceSplit AdviceTraining Programs

I am new and would like some advice please!!13640

trose619 private msg quote post Address this user
Ah ok thank you, but just curious I've heard upper/lower split before but never understood it...can you help me with that please?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by trose619
One more question if I could. I\'ve noticed a dramatic increase in needs for snacking but I don\'t wanna over do it and counter my gains with putting more fatty fat on. Any tips for combating this?

Yeah dude, now that you know your macros just remember this:
If it fits your macros, EAT THAT SHIT
Weight gain and weight loss is simply Calories in vs calories out. If you want to google the "Twinkie diet" there's a guy that lost 40lbs eating all hostess products (with 1 protein shake).

Point is, you'll be eating pretty clean and well just to hit your protein requirements. After that you'll want to keep your carbs above 50% and keep your fats above 20% but below 30%

Once you can do that, if you can fit some cookies in or WHATEVER you want in to your macros, track it and eat it dude.

I have days where I eat 6 meals of all "clean" food just because I can and have the time to or school days where I only have time for 3 meals, 2 being big ass smoothies and 1 is a whole pizza.
For that pizza day, I'll keep my macros the same as every other day and won't gain fat or anything like that. One pizza day I forgot a small portion of my lunch so the next day I LOST weight.

Try it for a week or two and weigh yourself every day. You'll be amazed how accurate it is if you actually eat what you log.

Quote:
Ah ok thank you, but just curious I\'ve heard upper/lower split before but never understood it...can you help me with that please?

You can look in the "Tags" section on the left under "split advice" or "training programs", there's a ton of examples in there.
Basic premise of an upper lower split is working out your entire upper body one day and your entire lower body a different day.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Ah ok awesome :-) that just made me really happy actually. Just now I have to do my best to calculate everything. Its just hard because current such stances/situation dictates that my food choice selection is highly limited so I'll do with it what I can thanks a lot bro :-) and ah ok ya I've actually done that before and I had a real nice sweat fr it too. Made me feel really good
Post 28 IP   flag post
mattd534 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Ah ok thank you, but just curious I've heard upper/lower split before but never understood it...can you help me with that please?

So basically an upper/lower split would look something like this
Monday:
Lower Body
Barbell 
Squats: 3-4 sets x 6-8 reps /90 second rest between sets
Romanian Deadlifts: 3-4 sets x 6-8 reps /90 second rest between sets
Leg press: 2-3 sets x 10-12 reps /60-90 second rest between sets
Leg Curls: 2-3 sets x 10-12 reps /60 second rest between sets
Standing Calf Raises: 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps /60 second rest between sets
Unweighted Abs: 4 sets x 12-15 reps /60 second rest between sets

Tuesday: Upper Body
Bench Press: 3-4 sets x 6-8 reps /90 second rest between sets
Barbell Rows: 3-4 sets x 6-8 reps /90 second rest between sets
Incline Bench Press: 2-3 sets x 10-12 reps /60-90 second rest between sets
Pull Ups: 2-3 sets x 10-12 reps /60-90 second rest between sets
Skull Crushers: 2-3 sets x 12-15 reps /60 second rest between sets
Seated Ez Bar Curls: 2-3 sets x 12-15 reps /60 second rest between sets

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Lower Body
Front Squats: 3-4 sets x 6-8 reps /90 seconds rest between sets
Deadlifts: 3-4 sets x 6-8 reps /90 second rest between sets
Barbell Lunges: 2-3 sets x 10-12 reps /60-90 second rest between sets
Leg Curls: 2-3 sets x 10-12 reps /60 second rest between sets
Seated Calf Raises: 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps /60 second rest between sets
Weighted Abs: 4 sets x 12-15 reps /60 second rest between sets

Friday: Upper Body
Bench Press: 3-4 sets x 6-8 reps /90 second rest between sets
One Arm Dumbbell Rows: 3-4 sets x 6-8 Reps /90 second rest between sets
Overhead Press: 2-3 sets x 10-12 reps /60-90 second rest between sets
Chin Ups: 2-3 sets x 10-12 reps /60-90 second rest between sets
Standing Tricep Cable Pressdown: 2-3 sets x 12-15 reps /60 second rest
Standing Dumbbell Bicep Curls: 2-3 sets x 12-15 reps /60 second rest
Post 29 IP   flag post
Ah ok so basically a jack of all trades work out. Now do you max out all thee targeted muscles when you do that? And what do you mean by "weighted abs" cause to me that can mean so many things. Also I don't take rests between sets unless I absolutely have to. Can anyone give me their input on that? I like how it makes me feel and keeps me motivated the while way through the workout personally. When I'm with someone else though I have no problem waiting for them to do their sets.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Ah ok so basically a jack of all trades work out. Now do you max out all thee targeted muscles when you do that? And what do you mean by "weighted abs" cause to me that can mean so many things. Also I don't take rests between sets unless I absolutely have to. Can anyone give me their input on that? I like how it makes me feel and keeps me motivated the while way through the workout personally. When I'm with someone else though I have no problem waiting for them to do their sets.

That's just a sample I got offline but weighed abs could be anything from a cable curl to an machine.. as for rest between sets unless you are training for a conditioning sport like cross country your muscles need time to rest between sets especially if you are going to failure! Me personally I don't like to go to failure on all my lifts because I believe it's too much on the body especially when you want to be in the gym as often as possible!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Ya I can understand that and I'm gonna try and slow it down just a little because even with adding more sets or additional workouts in I'm still getting done with my workouts under an hour where as it used to be an hour or longer which I really liked
Post 32 IP   flag post
@trose619 bodybuilding is about pushing patience.nothing will happen overnight
Post 33 IP   flag post
Use I agree and dully noted thank you. I try setting realistic benchmark goals for myself to help stay motivated and its working out pretty good so far happy to say.
Post 34 IP   flag post
340738 34 9
destitute