Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
@Zyzzst I believe you. I did the same for years in the Army fitness test. I've had 119 in 2 minutes. Just to be beat by a buddy who got 138. He also did 150 sit ups at the time too. He does even more now I'm sure, since he went Special Forces.
Post 26 IP   flag post
JJ3065 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzst
Same with me tho, I never seen anyone that could come close to me on push-ups until I got to A school and my friend who is very short and stalky had the perfect body to do push-ups cuz he literally had half the rom that I had

Manlets don't count, they can't do a push up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinchicken
@Zyzzst I believe you. I did the same for years in the Army fitness test. I've had 119 in 2 minutes. Just to be beat by a buddy who got 138. He also did 150 sit ups at the time too. He does even more now I'm sure, since he went Special Forces.

In two minutes, not 100+ in one minute.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
I got 101 I think or 102, and like I said I haven't seen many people get past 80, and trust me it was the most painful experience after cuz I cramped up like crazy
Post 28 IP   flag post
MrMailliw private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiTu
Anyone use push-up handles?

A friend of mine said he feels it gives him a deeper stretch but it almost seems like a waste to me to spend money one equipment for doing push-ups.

I was thinking of getting them as palm and knuckle are both uncomfortable towards the end of a session.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ3065

Quote:

In two minutes, not 100+ in one minute.

I would hit close to 100 in the first minute on average. 90-95. Broke past 100 in 1 minute a few times. Last 20+ would take much longer. I've seen a lot of people hit over 100 in 1 minute. Strict form too. None of that worming shyt or head hanging stuff.
Post 30 IP   flag post

bslo private msg quote post Address this user
100 pushups for a pt test is cake(2 min). 100 in one minute is impressive but not unbelievable. But then again i know for a fact they are not as strict at grading the pushups in other services as they are in the army.
Post 31 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
@bslo doesnt the army have "stress cards" for basic training?
Post 32 IP   flag post
no.
Not saying the army is hard or basic is hard because its not if your in any kind of shape at all but we do grade our PT tests harder than other services except maybe the marine corps.
Post 33 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Ahhh ok. I had heard that somewhere and was just curious.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Yea it is just a rumor. The DS crushes that one really quick. Like the first thing they said to us was that they would skull drag us if anyone asked for a stress card.
Post 35 IP   flag post
This is what Im picturing when someone says they can do 100 in a min...

@Kickin, Im going to go ahead and give you the benefit, but Im still leery
Post 36 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
Coast guard goes off the marine handbook for basic training.....just sayin
Post 37 IP   flag post
@JJ3065 Those are all failures. I've failed sergeant majors and full bird colonels for better push ups than those guys. Everyone always gets pissy when I fail them. I give them 10 push ups at the beginning. If within those 10 they do not correct themselves and follow my instructions i send em to the back of the line to try again. If they fail once more because they cannot perform enough correctly then it's not my fault. If I let someone pass with horrible form it makes me look like a horrible Army Master Fitness Trainer. It's even worse if I preach good form and full push ups every day to my entire unit and don't do the same.

Yes, there are a ton of people who count those little bouncing push ups as full push ups. I've seen em in the navy, Air Force and army. But I promise it won't fly in my company's PT test.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Hewy007 private msg quote post Address this user
@JJ3065 its awful because the title of the first video is "push ups done properly"
Post 39 IP   flag post
@kickinchicken MFT's dont exist anymore.....
Post 40 IP   flag post
@bslo lol yes they do. They brought it back. I went to the school last October.
Post 41 IP   flag post
@Kick youre the man dude. I respect your ethics.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@JJ3065 thanks, I respect yo beard

Post 43 IP   flag post
@kickinchicken Im def going to have to check that out then. What were the requirements?
Post 44 IP   flag post
Minimum 90% each exercise for APFT, absolutely NO profile whatsoever, it's now E5 and up, it was E7 and up. There's a PT test in the morning of day 1. Surprisingly 1/2 the class fail it. Only surprising because MFTs are suppose to be the standard and these Soldiers are recommended by their units. They fail because the test is insanely strict to standard and most people have never been corrected on a push up in their life. They go over everything from basic A&P to Kineseology, building personal workout programs, instructing PRT, nutrition and macro splits, types of energy expenditures, a lot of stuff I already knew which I'm sure you would as well. It's a 160hr course with hand on gym time. They also do 2-4 hours of PT almost every morning before you even start class. The instructors I had made up of dietitians, olympic athlete trainers, semi-pro hockey player, and other personal trainers with all kinds of certificates, NASM, ISSA, NSCA, etc...
Post 45 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Minimum 90% each exercise for APFT, absolutely NO profile whatsoever, it's now E5 and up, it was E7 and up. There's a PT test in the morning of day 1. Surprisingly 1/2 the class fail it. Only surprising because MFTs are suppose to be the standard and these Soldiers are recommended by their units. They fail because the test is insanely strict to standard and most people have never been corrected on a push up in their life. They go over everything from basic A&P to Kineseology, building personal workout programs, instructing PRT, nutrition and macro splits, types of energy expenditures, a lot of stuff I already knew which I'm sure you would as well. It's a 160hr course with hand on gym time. They also do 2-4 hours of PT almost every morning before you even start class. The instructors I had made up of dietitians, olympic athlete trainers, semi-pro hockey player, and other personal trainers with all kinds of certificates, NASM, ISSA, NSCA, etc...

I would love to get into this side of things.
Post 46 IP   flag post
MrMailliw private msg quote post Address this user
Those videos were bullshit, my numbers are low at the moment but I do full reps.

Chest almost touching floor or I don't count it.
Post 47 IP   flag post
@kickinchicken That sounds like a great class. Where is the school at? Also what are your duties as an mft? I think they used to kind of advise commanders on the pt side of things but i can imagine it being alot different now. My old Plt Sgt was an old MFT and he was just a crusty old bastard that could run forever.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Duties are still to advise the commander on PT, height, weight and body fat, PT failures, the whole shibang, still the same thing pretty much. Emphasis is on getting Soldiers to standard with the new PRT rules and regulations. They also train assistant instructors to help conduct special populations or remedial PT for people who are injured or pregnant so that they can still be fit as well or recover from injuries quicker.

clickable text

Here's the public course schedule.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Damn im at fort belvoir now. Thanks for all the info it is much appreciated. It seems like they are only doing it at the posts with heavy combat elements which makes sense but still kind of sucks. Where did you do yours at?
Post 50 IP   flag post
Knox. I'm stationed there too. Made it a nice little TDY. I loved getting paid to do something I love for a month. I'm sure you'd love it too. They need lots of MFTs. And so many people fail the PT test standards on day 1 if you have people you want to send but the class is full you should be able to send em to the PT test as standby Soldiers. Then when people fail they get their slots.
Post 51 IP   flag post
340762 51 26
destitute