Bench PressChestTeen

how to Increase in bench press?13080

dimavish private msg quote post Address this user
I'm 18 and ive been lifting almost a year now. 184 LBS
i workout twice a day, 6 days a week.
My MAX 1 rep is 160 only
So far in the past 3 months i could'nt press more
My split:
Mon: chest, triceps--for chest i do bar bench press, inclined dumbbell press, dumbbell flyes, dips
I do pyramid type of training--Bench press 5sets=15,12,10,8,6--all other exercies 4 sets each
Tue: back, biceps
Wed: Delt, legs
then i start over with chest and triceps again but different exercises.(for chest it will be smith's machine incline press, dumbbell press, cable crossover, decline press)
Sun: REST
Can someone give me advice on how to bench press more?
Sorry for my english
thank you
Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
What are the rep ranges and weights you lift with? I wont be able to help you much but that is some info others will ask for. Hop on the bandwagon of a popular training program and im sure you will see the results you crave. PHAT, 5x5, 3/2/1, or WSBB SB, as well as others.

Also, figure out what part of you is having a hard time getting past 160, then train that spot.
Post 2 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Lots of issues here. But for staryers - Watch every Dave Tate "So You Think You Can Bench" video on Youtube. Report back after that and I will offer more advice.
Post 3 IP   flag post
GStarRaw private msg quote post Address this user
What do you mean by working out twice a day? Lets say if its chest, do you do chest once in the morning and once at night?

When was the last time you did a deload?

Maybe try a strength program? 5x5, 5/3/1 , WSB (EK's Version).
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
Lots of issues here. But for staryers - Watch every Dave Tate "So You Think You Can Bench" video on Youtube. Report back after that and I will offer more advice.

Im not even OP but im going to watch this and report back. Interested to hear what you have to say.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStarRaw
What do you mean by working out twice a day? Lets say if its chest, do you do chest once in the morning and once at night?

When was the last time you did a deload?

Maybe try a strength program? 5x5, 5/3/1 , WSB (EK's Version).

I do chest in the morning and triceps in the evening and i change my program every 3 months
Post 6 IP   flag post
Jezza_91 private msg quote post Address this user
I swapped from Bench to dumbbells.... Seen my dumbbells just from 15kg to 37.5kg in little under a year on PHAT.. Then my bench went from 50kg to 87.5 lol

Maybe do different chest exercises and take a break from bench.

Though you could be a puller instead of a pusher.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza_91
I swapped from Bench to dumbbells.... Seen my dumbbells just from 15kg to 37.5kg in little under a year on PHAT.. Then my bench went from 50kg to 87.5 lol

Maybe do different chest exercises and take a break from bench.

Though you could be a puller instead of a pusher.

maybe i should take a break for few weeks lol
Post 8 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
You don't have a real plan

4 of your 5 bench press reps are not really geared for strength

You may be working out too often with very little recovery time

Not a gig on you but if you're 18 years old than most likely your form needs to be worked on

But the best part is... You're 18 and hitting the gym and worried about getting stronger. You've got so much going for you. You just need a real plan and you will take what looks like a decent base and turn yourself into a freaking beast!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew

Reporting back. Ive been putting my weight on my traps like in the videos, but i have not been holding that position with my legs. I always put them flat on the floor after i get into position and it always loosens me up a bit. Will implement next chest day.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
If you're worried about bench strength in particular, stop training like a bodybuilder. Stop training body parts, and start training movements. Everything you need to know can be found here: http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinchicken
You don't have a real plan

4 of your 5 bench press reps are not really geared for strength

You may be working out too often with very little recovery time

Not a gig on you but if you're 18 years old than most likely your form needs to be worked on

But the best part is... You're 18 and hitting the gym and worried about getting stronger. You've got so much going for you. You just need a real plan and you will take what looks like a decent base and turn yourself into a freaking beast!

Can you explain what do you mean by real plan?
Post 12 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@kickinchicken nailed it. "You don't have a real plan."

You're doing a "bro split" and what you're doing is not geared to building strength. Get on a proven strength building program and stick to it for at least 6 months.

Check the link @eknight gave you above. Also look at 5/3/1 and Stronglifts 5x5. Both good programs.

You don't say anything about your diet either, except "I always try to stick to a healthy diet". But do you know how many calories you're getting from day to day and what your macro breakdown is?
Post 13 IP   flag post
I mean a plan that is geared towards hitting "your" goals. You want to keep gaining mass while bringing your big lifts up, specifically your bench. Your program at the moment is not going to do that for you.

Like @GStarRaw suggested, you have a few very good options right there.

And you can listen to @EK if you want. Not sure he can help you with your bench press much though. Unless you want to press like 5x your body weight or some silly
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular

You're doing a "bro split" and what you're doing is not geared to building strength. Get on a proven strength building program and stick to it for at least 6 months.

Check the link @eknight gave you above. Also look at 5/3/1 and Stronglifts 5x5. Both good programs.

You don't say anything about your diet either, except "I always try to stick to a healthy diet". But do you know how many calories you're getting from day to day and what your macro breakdown is?

All what I was worrying about is bench press
I eat 5-6 meals a day and I get around 2100-2300 calories.from what I eat I get mostly 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat
Post 15 IP   flag post
More food + More Carbs = More Gains

In this case at least. Obviously carbohydrates alone do not make you stronger.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinchicken
I mean a plan that is geared towards hitting "your" goals. You want to keep gaining mass while bringing your big lifts up, specifically your bench. Your program at the moment is not going to do that for you.

Like @GStarRaw suggested, you have a few very good options right there.

And you can listen to @EK if you want. Not sure he can help you with your bench press much though. Unless you want to press like 5x your body weight or some silly
haha thanks
I was just a bit confused about chest.its growing alright as all other muscles but not getting any stronger.so I guess if i want morr strength then I have to become powerlifter
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
More food + More Carbs = More Gains

In this case at least. Obviously carbohydrates alone do not make you stronger.
got ya.but too much carbs can overturn into fat no?and depends on your body type.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimavish
Quote:

All what I was worrying about is bench press
I eat 5-6 meals a day and I get around 2100-2300 calories.from what I eat I get mostly 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat

Way too much. You need 180g MAX. That's less than 30%. 50% is pointless. It's just holding you back. Go 50-55% carbs and watch the muscle pour on at your testosterone pumping age. And if you're calories are waaaaay low if you're trying to get bigger.
Post 19 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
You're certainly not eating enough. You could probably use a good 800-1000 calories more than you're eating now.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@kickinchicken @wannabemuscular
I changed to 50% recently because I don't see any gains..so you are saying that I must eat carbs As possible??
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
You're certainly not eating enough. You could probably use a good 800-1000 calories more than you're eating now.
i would eat 5000 calories if that would've been possible..but right now i can only allow myself around 3000
Post 22 IP   flag post
I'm saying you need to eat more carbs. Not as much much as possible. You need more calories, more carbs, less protein, new workout plan.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Illadian private msg quote post Address this user
idk about others but what worked for me was was setting PR in number of reps i can do with 50% of my 1RM n superset with push ups , then i used to do somekind of rest pause using rest-pause 6 reps for 7 sets (42) total with max 15 sec rest ,then went back to test my max n it all went up ,45 kg each side on BP for sure 50 needs a spotter which i dun have lol
Post 24 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
@dimavish ypu say only 160... is that lbs of kg? also look into strength training routine such as westside barbell, wendlers 531 amd the likes, also listen to the others about your diet, that is likely just as important
Post 25 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
I can give you a tip to bench more.... Stop training so much !!
When are you ment to grow and eat and rest exactly if ur training twice daily only works for people on a tremendous amount of drugs.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
start by uploading a video where you bench heavy
Post 27 IP   flag post
^ This
Post 28 IP   flag post
340630 28 28
destitute