Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CardioMastersSplit AdviceTraining Programs

suggestions on routine for older guy13036

monsta private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone.. my dad decided he wants to start hitting the gym again, so he came to me with advice for a good routine.. he's 54 years old. He was in the military the majority of his life, so hes not in bad shape.. his problem area that he hates his he has a big round hard stomach lol.. it must be genetics because my grandpa has the same thing. He's wanting to hit the gym 3-4 days a week and cardio as well.. his goal is to tone up the stomach area as well as his chest arms, etc..Any suggestions?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
Get him on a simple routine, such as a 1X weekly Push, Pull, Legs, 3X a week full body or alternate upper and lower body each workout. Cardio I would recommend adding in from the offset, just once a week to start with but this is purely for general cardiovascular health. The weight loss bit will be primarily in the diet, and I accept that at his age he may be set in his ways and such so I'd just start off with maybe cutting down on his snacks and simply trying to eat healthier options. Depending on how he gets on with that then you could start looking at potentially getting him on a set amount of kcals per day with Macronutrient goals and not just calories. Main points to take away:

Simple routines-

Push, Pull, Legs
Day 1:Push
Bench Press 3X8-10
Military Press 3X8-10
Lateral Raises 3X10-15
Rear Delt Raises 3X10-15
Tricep Extensions 3X10-15

Day 3: Pull
Barbell Rows 3X8-10
Cable Rows 3X8-10
Pulldowns 3X8-10
Dumbell Shrugs 3X8-10
Bicep Curls 3X10-15

Day 5: Legs
Squats 4X8-10
Romanian Deadlifts 5X8-10
Leg Press 4X8-10
Hamstring Curls 5X8-10
Calf Raises 3X10-15

OR

Fullbody 3X Weekly eg

Squats 4X8-10
Romanian Deadlifts/Hamstring Curls 5X8-10
Barbell Rows 5X8-10
Bench Press 3X8-10
Military Press 4X8-10
Pullups/Downs 4X8-10

OR

Upper/Lower

Upper-
Barbell Rows 5X8-10
Bench Press 3X8-10
Military Press 4X8-10
Pullups/Downs 4X8-10

Lower-
Squats 4X8-10
Romanian Deadlifts 5X8-10
Leg Press 4X8-10
Hamstring Curls 5X8-10

2) INCLUDE CARDIO, nothing massive to begin with just say brisk walking for 30minutes or something simple like that

Hope this helps
Post 2 IP   flag post
Oh and also at his age make sure he gets a general health check up with his doctor before he starts and strenuous activity and gets any niggles/pain/injuries checked out as well
Post 3 IP   flag post
One last thing, emphasize form over weight
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@monsta "big round hard stomach." 90%+ of the time this is from alcohol. Was he a big drinker? Is he still? -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
@eknight no he has only drank maybe twice his entire life.. lol same with his father. Its just the way they are shaped.. he is actually very toned, muscular legs/arms but has a round pregnant looking belly. I think if he lost weight it would all probally come from that area only because that's the only thing that has grew in the past 20 years.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@winnersneverquit thanks for the response.. ill pass along something like that for him!
Post 7 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight - my grandfathers the same way, skinny arms and legs but a big stomach that's rock hard lol.. it's been like that since I can remember

but his diet has been spam sandwiches 2x a day for 40+ years lol
Post 8 IP   flag post
He also has sleep apnea and uses a cpap machine. I'm sure all the fat around your organs and lungs cant be good. I gave him a good 3day split and told him to do a brisk walk for 20 min after.. hopefully he will feel a little better!
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Yes that's visceral fat and is a little harder to get rid of. It's usually associated with alcohol consumption, so no disrespect was intended there. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Like @EK said. Good majority is visceral fat. Interval training has been shown to burn visceral fat very well.
Post 11 IP   flag post
340762 11 11
destitute