Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestNewbie

Calisthenics Chest Advice13022

bubki private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering how i can hit chest harder with body weight exercises, since its lagging now. Dips are my favorite exercise, but i feel it way more in my arms than my chest. FIY I usually have issues doing push ups.

Thanks in advance
Post 1 IP   flag post
leanr0x private msg quote post Address this user
It's calisthenics.
Post 2 IP   flag post
samirsaleh private msg quote post Address this user
if u have issues doing pushups then of course ur chest will be lagging
Post 3 IP   flag post
cschro private msg quote post Address this user
Can you do diamond pushups? I like to do a regular set of pushups to failure, wait a few minutes and then do these. While I do the diamond pushups I pretend like I'm crushing the diamond. Gets my chest a good pump every time.
Post 4 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
Do a regular pushup. If you can do more than 30 + reps. Then you are not progressing. You need to add weight to your body in order to challenge yourself and progress. Add weight on the back or something that can challenge you.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Why do you feel like body weight exercises will benefit you more than resistance training? You grow from overloading a muscle with added resistance, not fatiguing it from 1000s of reps. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
I am open to using weights, but only with body weight movements. When i was going to the gym, i always had joint pain that made me skip workouts. (cant afford it now as well)

P.S. - My problems with push ups is that my wrists hurt if i do not do them on fists. With some variations, the shoulders as well
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
The problem isn't with weights, then, it's with your joints. That's something you should look at before you continue training. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Good plan man, if weight lifting gives you joint paint just do bodyweight movements as everyone knows bodyweight exercises are like a soothing massage for ones joints.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@IrishGymSheep if bodyweight exercises are still causing him pain, though, there's more to it. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
I only have pain when i am doing pushups. With other exercises - no pain. That is why i try to find my way around it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Do you have pain when you bench press? How about when you do flyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubki
I am open to using weights, but only with body weight movements. When i was going to the gym, i always had joint pain that made me skip workouts. (cant afford it now as well)

P.S. - My problems with push ups is that my wrists hurt if i do not do them on fists. With some variations, the shoulders as well

So, did you have pain when you did weights or not? -3X
Post 12 IP   flag post
bench press - wrists, flyes - around the elbow, it was not joint pain though
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Your wrists and elbows are joints. What kind of pain was it other than joint pain? See where I'm going with this?

Weight bearing exercises cause you pain. Body weight exercises cause you pain. There's a problem there. -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
The pain i was referring to was located right above the elbow, idk if it was a tendon or sth.

I understand your arguments, but i do not know why i do not feel the pain when doing dips (shoulder pain is common if one goes below 90 degrees at the elbow)
Post 15 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Get yourself a set of pushup handles to take the stress off your wrists. You can add weight onto your back doing pushups to get added resistance.

Also, you might want to check with a pro on making sure you're doing the lifts with proper form. Pain may be because of bad form and/or poor joint mobility.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I will follow your advice.
Post 17 IP   flag post
340624 17 17
destitute