Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
American FootballTraining Programs

Functionality vs. Mass - Stanford Football12956

McQueef private msg quote post Address this user
I came across this article last night, so I figured I'd share it:

clickable text

The article discusses the training ideology of Stanford Football's new head trainer, Shannon Turley. I wish it went into more depth, but it touches on a bunch of topics that tend to resurface on the SS forum, mainly sport-specific strength training, injury prevention, and mobility/flexibility.

Here's quote I liked:

“I tell all the guys,” Fischer said, “all the giants, the huge-looking guys, the Adonis-looking people, if you cannot move, you will not last. It’s a game of speed and movement and the lowest player wins.”

I'll fish around to see if I can find some more information about Turley's system.
Post 1 IP   flag post
McQueef private msg quote post Address this user
Post 2 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Wow - great article and vids. Thanks for posting these.
Post 3 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
This is the type of training I want to do but...

Post 4 IP   flag post
databas1c private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by haole
This is the type of training I want to do but...

It's not hard or time consuming to integrate FMS progressions into your strength program. Improving your scores on the FMS will also generally improve your big lifts.

I train with a standard P/P/L, but almost all of my accessory work is corrective exercise or FMS work.
Post 5 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by databas1c

It's not hard or time consuming to integrate FMS progressions into your strength program. Improving your scores on the FMS will also generally improve your big lifts.

I train with a standard P/P/L, but almost all of my accessory work is corrective exercise or FMS work.

Do you train for a specific sport? What type of accessory work do you do?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I do a lot of PNF patterning exercises, core stability work and movement dissociation drills. The chop and lift progressions from gray cook are pretty fundamental to my programming. As I've gotten better at those patterns, I've started building more complex drills that work that pattern but can be loaded up heavy or done explosively. I've recently adapted my program to have a larger power emphasis, so I'm doing a lot of SAQ style training now. Lots of plyo, lots of agility ladders. I used to have a log, but kind of abandoned it because I've been changing around my programming quite a bit lately.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Xandar private msg quote post Address this user
@databas1c I'm curious what your "programming" is for. What sport or activity are you training for?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I train because I enjoy it, and to be a more functional person. I dont really play sports. I focus on corrective and prehab exercise because I've been injured a lot of times in the past and I have a lot of crazy movement imbalances and bad motor patterns. The SAQ and power focus lately is at the suggestion of my physical therapist, as progressing plyo drills, quick changes in direction, etc. should help build knee stability.
Post 9 IP   flag post
340738 9 9
destitute