Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

RJ Perkins PHD-4 Training ?12954

FrankCB private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaGKRNjyBiA

Guys,I see a new this Training Routine,What do you think that training way? Has anyone done and get good results this routine? Is it good for bulking?

Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
RJ is the man - can't argue with his results. It's a fun routine and challenging routine and good for bulking but it was not for me.

Took me a while to get acclimated to the volume and even then I didn't feel like I was getting the most out of the second compound lift on the heavy days. And since it's 5 days a week missing one workout screws everything up.

I have since found that I prefer to focus on one specific area (e.g. trying to get my squat up now) and base my program around that particular lift. This allows for a heavy day and a speed day then I fill in the other days with the other compound lifts and supp exercises.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Outwork_08 private msg quote post Address this user
I've been playing around with PHD-4 for the last month ever since I went home for a few weeks and trained with my buddy who has been running it for about 6 months.. The way we altered it was moving the deadlift 5/3/1 to our lower body hypertrophy days and OHP 5/3/1 to the back and shoulder hypertrophy days because as @mikew said doing the two major power movements back to back one of them is going to suffer. I have really been enjoying it but will see how it goes for the next couple of weeks
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yea I was thinking about it,Monday Bench 5/3/1 and Deadlift 5/3/1 together,after Tuesday Squat and Millitary Bench Together 5/3/1 but suggesting me this doesnt happen. If you see ICF 5X5 or SS programs, Workout Day 1 hit the 3 big heavy compound together

Squat 3x5 or 5x5
Bench 3x5 or 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Suggest me the part We hit the Monday Bench Press and 2 Chest Accessory (Incline Press,Flys)right? after Monday,Tuesday we hit the Heavy Millitary Shoulder press and 2 Shoulder Accessory Movements. Monday Bench,Incline press and Fly while already affected shoulders right? and After day We're hit to heavy shoulder and 2 accessory. Is this Bad?

@Outwork_08 can you share your modified PHD-4 template?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Guys,I would stay constant but I still have not got the results on Programs,This mean i have not a still Workout Program I'm very like PHD-4 but I would be glad if you help me what i to do?

I try ICF 5X5,Upper/Lower 4 days Split but i don't like,I'm searching every day,guides,articles,videos but...

Please share your experience guys.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Up
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
What's the longest you've run one program continuously and what is your recovery like (diet and rest)? -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
My recovery hmmm,e.g. i hit the Chest monday right? i'm ready for thursday to next Chest day. Diet is i try eat 5-6 meals and catch 3500 calorie,and Sunday I play football(soccer) but i'm not Pro ^^
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Eknight this is my problem,i didn't remain constant one program long time,I want everything to be appropriate.. I want hit muscle groups twice per week,balanced muscle group sets/reps,Compounds and accessory movements.And i want try today PHD-4 workout,because my Friday,saturday empty day,Sunday i play Football (cardio),monday/tuesday/wednesday empty day too,I can take the time these days.And this Workout 5 day per week right? This is really good,I see PHAT but as i said 'My english is bad,i dont understand some terms'' PHD-4 look like PHAT but its not..

Phat Upper Power Days hit 3 big compound together Chest/Shoulder/Back and arms i dont want this,but PHD-4 do only heavy 2 compounds(Bench,Deadlift) day 1,only 2 heavy compounds day2(Squat/Millitary Press) and i'm very like ..

Only,i dont understand this parts

1-Speed Bench,Squat and Deadlift How much is the rest per sets?
2-Accessory Exercises example:Chest Accessory 4-8 sets 6-10 reps right? This mean is 3 set Incline DB Press 6-10 3 set Flat Fly 6-10 right? My Choose?
3- 6-10 this mean Progressive overload? first week 6,other week 7 reps etc etc.. or No you dont need progressive accessory,because this exercises accessory,not heavy compounds! If you do First set 10-8 reps,set2 8-7 reps,set 3 6-7 reps

4-Final Question, 5/3/1 compounds we do 2-3min rest per set right?
But Accessory Exercises How much is the rest per set?

If you answer this questions,i'm really want do PHD-4 !
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
This is my honest opinion- you probably didn't get the results you were looking for because you didn't run any set program long enough to get those results. Your diet also can't be guess work, or "I try to get xxx kcals." It needs to be precise.

Based on the number of questions you have about PHD4, it may not be appropriate for someone at your level. If you were my client, I'd advise something simpler, like an U/L split or PPL. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
Danimal_88 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCB
-Speed Bench,Squat and Deadlift How much is the rest per sets? Speed work only needs minimal rest due to light weight and few reps, shoot for 30-60seconds

2-Accessory Exercises example:Chest Accessory 4-8 sets 6-10 reps right? This mean is 3 set Incline DB Press 6-10 3 set Flat Fly 6-10 right? My Choose? Yes

3- 6-10 this mean Progressive overload? first week 6,other week 7 reps etc etc.. or No you dont need progressive accessory,because this exercises accessory,not heavy compounds! If you do First set 10-8 reps,set2 8-7 reps,set 3 6-7 reps It just means stay in that rep range. I like to choose a weight I can 6-8 reps with and stick with that same weight until i can 9-10 reps with it every set, then I would bump up the weight to an amount where I can still get at least 6 reps per set

4-Final Question, 5/3/1 compounds we do 2-3min rest per set right? On my heavy and voume compounds i use 2-2.5mins
But Accessory Exercises How much is the rest per set?up to you, I normally use 30-75seconds on accessories
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you @Eknight and @Danimal_88 ..

Today i want start PHD-4 and see how to results.. Maybe i keep to log ^^ now,only had a choice Accessory Exercises
Post 12 IP   flag post
Deneii private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Frank

First of all, i wish you good luck with your new program and hope you will find something you think fits you and your goals.

Second; i see you say you play football, and since you dont seem to be american i assume you mean the kind of football where you play with your feet =)

I play football myself, and i made a few experiences when combining football and strength training/bodybuilding together, that might be worth considering for you.

1: Programs like PHAT, PHD-4 and the like, are created for people (In terms of volume; total amount of sets and exercises etc.) whos PRIMARY activity/sport is just bodybuilding/strength training. Doing a program that is designed to go a 100% in the gym WHILE at the same time you are going 100% in your sport (football) is not going to end well.

2: Your knees, especially, will be worked very hard, very often. They won't stay healthy for long if you don't consider a type of compromise in your training, as for example dropping your volume on leg days a bit. Personally i went too hard with my football and weight training last winter, and my knees have just recently become "healthy" again, in the sense that they are without pain. This took 9-10 months where i could not train my legs or play football to my fullest potential.

3: Take your squatting seriously; it will make you a stronger and better football player than any other exercise. Cos of my knees i relied on leg press for my leg training, but within a few months of starting squatting i felt a big difference in balance, ability to "hold an opponent off" and explosiveness on the first few meters.

4: You nee to keep an eye on your nutrition. Your body's fuel demands will probably be very high when you have such a large amount of weekly physical activity, and if you dont focus on your calorie intake and weight, you might not get the results you want. You demand alot of your body while doing both weight training and football; your body will demand alot of food and sleep to keep up with it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Deneii firstly,thank you for Thank you for your interest and good wishes. I'm play Football for Sunday always,and i love Football (not American),I'm livin Turkey we say ''Football'' not Soccer ^^ but I said that understand you ^^
Anyway,I am aware my Knees worked hard yes,my lower body is good than Upper body for this reason.. I'm gonna take what you say for this,thank you!

I need to ask this, If i do Leg days for Saturday and Sunday Play Football,this is bad affects for my knees? or doest matter? by the way I play Football on Sunday but we play Night 11-12 pm

How should I organize my routine?

Friday:
Saturday:
Sunday: Off / Play Football
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday: Off
repeat
Post 14 IP   flag post
Ahh, so football is just on sundays?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Yes ^^ i'm not pro,this is my hobby for many years.. sometimes playing 2 times a week but I down to once a week,Because i'm going to gym ^^

p.s. I'm not Pro football player but i'm very talented ^^
Post 16 IP   flag post
Okay, then i misunderstood something. i'm not a pro either but my "problems" came from playing football 3-4 times per week.

In that case i think the points i made are less relevant, cos recovery isn't going to be as much of an issue as i thought it could be =)
Post 17 IP   flag post
Hehe =) okey but How should I organize my routine? My Leg days before or after Football days should work? Which makes sense?

Friday:
Saturday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
repeat
Post 18 IP   flag post
If it was for myself, i'd go with:

Friday: Legs
Saturday:
Monday:
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday:
repeat

For me, i feel like doing my leg training the day before football affects my football performance/energy, but i dont feel like playing football the day before leg day really affects my leg training. Nothing a bit of stretching/foamrolling can't deal with
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Deneii Really Thank you so much my friend!
Post 20 IP   flag post
340614 20 20
destitute