Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
InspirationMotivationPHATProgress PicsTraining Log

My Journey to Becoming Sponsored/Competing12937

KPFitness private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone. Fitness has basically become my passion and i've taken the necessary steps to transform myself from being under 100 lbs going into highschool to 170 currently. I've decided to take the next step and turn fitness into my life by competing and striving to be sponsored. I am doing a video series on youtube as I record workouts, tips, advice, etc.
This is the first video in my Journey To Competing series! It a pretty crazy back workout.

I really need everyones support more than ever to get this thing off the ground.
I'd welcome any helpful feedback or suggestions as I'm always trying to improve and help others. If you'd like to help me out, please Subscribe to my journey. I really do appreciate it and thanks in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Bring in the new year with a brand new chest workout!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Jimmydrama13 private msg quote post Address this user
Good videos , keep up your progress. , would defo recommend bulking hard putting on some mass and thickness but that comes with time and consistency.
Post 3 IP   flag post
samirsaleh private msg quote post Address this user
Its nice being ambitious and I appreciate your efforts, but i honestly think you need a couple more years in this field before you can give exercise tips and advice.

Take my word for it 2-3 years from now u r gna look back at those vids and say "If only I knew then".

You are going in the right direction, however you are still not in a position to be a role model for others as Iv noticed you are strongly influenced by the "bro" community
Post 4 IP   flag post
outta curiosity can you explain what you mean by that? I get that im constantly learning and becoming better but i dont get the bro community comment?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Xandar private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's awesome that you are so excited and motivated by fitness. I also think it takes a lot of guts to put together some vids and post them on the forum for critiquing. I think you're on a good path to doing the things you need to do in order to accomplish your goals.

On the flip side. I think you need quite a bit more lifting experience before offering solid advice to a large user base. Your going to get resistance because you haven't put on enough mass yet or have that chiseled physique yet and you're filming the same basic "Bro" workouts that can be found anywhere on youtube. If you looking to get viewers and such you're going to need to look like what you're preaching. You're commentary is also lacking in the necessary charisma that will gain you subscribers although this would hopefully get better with time. I just don't think you're bringing anything new with what you have now and to be honest it's boring to watch as there's not any real substantial information in your commentary. I just think you're over shooting by a few years. However, with all that being said, I still think you should continue to do what you love and if making vids is part of it keep going. I would only encourage you to continue to pack some mass on and do TONS of research on nutrition, body mechanics, program slit's, ect.... so that you can add bits of knowledge to your commentary that will spark the interest and be beneficial to your audience. You may also want to work on your delivery in your commentary as it's kinda mundane and it sounds like your shooting from the hip. You should go watch other guys who have popular fitness channels on youtube and listen to their delivery, look at their editing of the video, and how they incorporate tips and advice within the video. You have to make a vid interesting to capture an audience.......

So, all the power to ya man and I hope over time we see some killer vids come out. Don't let your dream go but realize that you have to step up if you're looking to make it a career. Good luck
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks man. I appreciate the advice and criticism and i'll work on it those things. I agree i have a long way to go, i just look at the popular youtube channels (POG, LOA, etc) and from where they started the videos werent good or professional, but i dont know another way to build a fan base
Post 7 IP   flag post
leanr0x private msg quote post Address this user
i like your swag shirt
is your lower back rounding during the bent over rows when you go down with the bar?

i dont know if it is needed to do that much incline movements
you should have a talk to @eknight he knows better than me
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thats not me doing the rows, but the back is a little rounded.

And yes I know @Eknight and his dislike for the incline quite well. I think we're gonna agree to disagree on the whole incline thing. I'd like to hear his take on it though.
Post 9 IP   flag post
AestheticBrah private msg quote post Address this user
Lol at "get a huge upper chest".
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
There's really nothing to disagree on. You don't have separate pectorlis muscles. One muscle, with two heads, BOTH of which have the same point of attachment on the humerus and both of which are innervated by the lateral pectoral nerve.

Trying to preferentially work one head over the other is like tying two rubber bands to a door knob, holding the other ends one high and one low (like the letter Y sideways), and then expecting not have them both stretch the same amount when you open the door. Isn't going to happen. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
so what you're saying is that there is no difference in doing incline vs flat or that incline itself is useless?
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'm saying what I always say- while inclines may hit the chest as a whole with better muscle activation as demonstrated by EMG analysis, they do not "isolate," "target," or preferentially recruit fibers from one area of the chest more than another, and because you can not handle as heavy a weight as flat benching, they are not a more beneficial movement.

Despite what the bodybuilding mags will tell you, there is no movement, no angle, no method to change the shape of a muscle. It's predetermined by your genetics. 100% of the time, always and forever, amen, the end, happily ever after, rest in peace. -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
leanr0x private msg quote post Address this user
Very well said eknight, even i understand with my shitty english
Post 14 IP   flag post
im not saying anything about shaping your muscles or that the chest is divided into upper or lower. Do inclines not offer more activation/stimulation to the chest? For instance i can lift much heavier on my incline dumbbell compared to my flat dumbbell press.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@eknight Do you have links you're willing to share with EMG results. I ask because I've seen several EMG test results and decline always is on top. If I'm missing something or not looking in the right spot for the most controlled study I want to know. Thx
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@KPFitness if you can incline press more than you can flat press, there's a problem with your flat press. That is abnormal to say the least.

@Xandar declines almost always do get the highest EMG results. No debating that. My point was that increasing the angle of the press does not allow for isolation or specification of the upper area. -3X
Post 17 IP   flag post
@eknight OK.. Just making sure I'm reading the right material about declines. Thanks for the reply.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@eknight i can incline dumbbell press more than i can flat dumbbell but vice versa with barbell. I'm not entirely sure why but that is the case. You didnt answer my question though, did you mistype or do inclines offer more activation than flat?
Post 19 IP   flag post
@KPFitness you can research this by googling EMG chest exercises or whatever body part......
Post 20 IP   flag post
@KPFitness I don't know what you background is with science, anatomy, biomechanics, statistics, ect... but you can try this read

http://www.sweatpit.com/forum/studies/bench/Effects%20of%20Variations%20of%20the%20Bench%20Press%20Exercise%20on%20the%20EMG%20Activity%20of%20Five%20Shoulder%20Muscles.pdf
Post 21 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@KPFitness I absolutely answered your question. Inclines do not offer any advantage over flat bench, nor do they shift the focus of the movement to a separate area of the pecs. -3X
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
@KPFitness I absolutely answered your question. Inclines do not offer any advantage over flat bench, nor do they shift the focus of the movement to a separate area of the pecs. -3X

What he said...... If you can't beat House, join him
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
I'm saying what I always say- while inclines may hit the chest as a whole with better muscle activation as demonstrated by EMG analysis, etc

That is why i asked if they offer an advantage, based off of that sentence. More activation + heavier weights in my case do in fact mean that it would be more beneficial
Post 24 IP   flag post
I this is the problem with training today with all the mags and articles written with new tests done every week , yes science has brought us forward leaps and bounds and we understand the body on a whole different level , but what happened to good old weight training think people over complicate training today , I don't get cought up in it , I train to how I feel and see results based on my own trail and error wat works for my genetics etc ,
Post 25 IP   flag post
i agree with you. sometimes, i feel like the more science and more theories that are involved over complicate things. Who's to say that the days of arnold where he swore by incline bench, pullovers, and dips were wrong because of advances now.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Again this is just my outlook on training and how j have approached it , through trial and error finding what my body responded to ,
Post 27 IP   flag post
true, everyone is different.
Post 28 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Opened this thread to wish you well @KPFitness - congrats on taking the first steps on your journey.

@eknight has the patience of a saint to continually disabuse myths about "benefits" from "targeting" the upper chest. well put explanation above.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Jimmydrama13 I'm with you on good ole fashioned training. But what I think that was is guys going out there with the info they had at the time and working out with insane intensity. You're going to get results from the combo of moving heavy weight with intensity regardless. This convo is more about optimizing.

@KPFitness Arnold and the guys of old didn't have the scientific data we have today. Things like EMG testing and intensely researched nutritional information gives an edge to the modern lifter. Arnold was a genetic freak who took large amounts of steroids and worked out with ridiculous intensity. This combo is going to make anyone grow and progress. He only had the information of his time. There's nothing complicated about what EK or anyone else is trying to say. No one is saying that incline bench DOESN'T stimulate the chest. He's just telling you that it's not as efficient as other movements for chest. as has been observed in many EMG studies. That can't be complicated to understand. Decline and flat are superior to the whole chest stimulation(including what you're referring to as the upper chest) then incline. Does this mean incline won't produce any results? No. Does it mean you could use another movement instead that is more efficient? Yes. Simple.

I'm an older guy and I've gone through the broscience to science transition and at first it was difficult for me to except and I'm in the healthcare field. And this is all due to the fact that I was holding on to what I had been taught when I was beginning. I feel that this is probably where you are as well. However, as a person who wants to be on the front lines of the fitness industry and make a career out of it, you MUST do the research or you'll get lost in the shuffle. People in general have access to a plethora of knowledge now and as times moves forward you're going to have to address some profound questions regarding exercise and nutrition to your future clients. Broscience responses are going to work less and less as the years go by.

So, yes if you follow the broscience mentality for long enough, you will see results. You'll see them because your muscles are being stimulated regardless of what movement you're doing HOWEVER with science you can put yourself and your prospective future clients on track for a more OPTIMAL workout/nutritional plan. Be at the forefront of innovation or you'll just be another trainer that people who are in the know mach while you have your clients doing OHP on a Busa ball and eating at a 1000 calorie deficit.

GET THE KNOWLEDGE. BE THE BEST.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340737 31 30
destitute