Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressBroscienceChest

Incline chest press safer then flat?12878

Sach private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, as the title says.
Alot of bodybuilders are saying that a 15-30 degree incline chest press is safer for the shoulders then a flat one and i simply wonder if there is any truth to this or is it pure bro-science?
Post 1 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it was a very slight decline which was safer?
Post 2 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
It's not any less or more safe on the shoulders. It just takes a bit more emphasis off the anterior delts. Incline presses are not unsafe for shoulders.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinchicken
It's not any less or more safe on the shoulders. It just takes a bit more emphasis off the anterior delts. Incline presses are not unsafe for shoulders.

But doesn't incline put more emphasis on the shoulders?
I mean, the closer you get to an ohp the more you work your shoulders.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
But what does that have to do with the safety of it???? -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
But what does that have to do with the safety of it???? -3X

I have no idea, i just wonder why so many bodybuilders says it's friendlier for the shoulders then the regular bench, what's the reason?
Is it BS or is the line you press in during a slight incline less taxing for your cuffs, joints etc?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Maybe it's in relation to a conversation about overdevelopment of the front of your shoulders because of lots of bench pressing. Change the angle of the press to take the emphasis off the shoulder as much as possible. If that were true the no one would be doing the OHP at all.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
I had a shoulder injury for a year, couldnt dumbbell press at all. now im back at it since september and dumbbell flat chest press= pain free. dumbbell incline chest press=shoulder pain.

so id say flat is better on the shoulders than incline and more effective to.

when i did do incline in the past, my delts grew more than usual, switched to flat and chest grew more than usual.

incline is overrated imo
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I yearn for a day when people stop listening to bodybuilders about how human anatomy works, and start listening to physiologists. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
I read something months ago in T-nation about a slight decline being beneficial on many levels. So, when I remember it, I often put a 10 kilogram plate under the bench when I press.

Partly because of things I've read by @eknight I've come to the belief that bench press variations are irrelevant.

So I just do flat bench.
Post 10 IP   flag post
OptimusPrime private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sach
Hey, as the title says.
Alot of bodybuilders are saying that a 15-30 degree incline chest press is safer for the shoulders then a flat one and i simply wonder if there is any truth to this or is it pure bro-science?

Perhaps you would 'feel' safer as you would find it easier to generate leg drive. Then again...Bodybuilders generally bench with arms flared, flat backs, and legs doing all sorts of weird shit.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sach
Hey, as the title says.

Perhaps you would 'feel' safer as you would find it easier to generate leg drive. Then again...Bodybuilders generally bench with arms flared, flat backs, and legs doing all sorts of weird shit.

Yyyyep...

Post 12 IP   flag post
340734 12 12
destitute