Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
5x5PHATSplit AdviceTraining Programs

PHAT!12809

Bennetto_10 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm 18 and ive been training for a year and a half, and I think i'd consider myself an early intermediate lifter. I began doing a body part split routine by Steve Cook on bodybuilding.com. I've been doing a 5x5 for the last few months, seeing progression, and I'm still not too impressed with some of my compound lifts. My most recent stats are:
Squat = 110kg x 5 (243lbs)
Bench = 75kg x 5 (165lbs)
Deadlift = 135kg x 5 (298lbs)

I don't find these too impressive and i want to improve on this. Im currently 5'10 and 168lbs(76kg). Been wanting to increase my lean mass too for rugby before going to university next year but i want to increase my strength too. Ive researched thoroughly, and come across PHAT, PHUL and also Westside for Skinny bastards/ WS4SB. PHAT has really caught my attention because of the good reviews on strength and hypertrophy gains. I haven't been getting much hypertrophy on 5x5 and was wondering should i stick to a 5x5 or change to PHAT or one of the others? Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Phat is good but it's a bodybuilding program based around strength and hypertrophy gains.

Westside for skinny bastards is an strength program designed for athletes.

Considering you are doing this for Rugby go with the program that is aimed at athletes specifically athletes of your age and size *cough* it's Westside *cough*
Post 2 IP   flag post
ClaytonANM private msg quote post Address this user
What's your current split?

PHAT is good stuff but it is kind of advanced. And at this stage in your lifting you might not need it to keep progressing. I progressed pretty well with both muscle and strength (they compliment each other, you know ) doing a 4-day hypertrophy split. Then I moved onto a 5-day split for hypertrophy training each body part at least twice per week. And then I moved to PHAT. Currently, I am back doing a 5-day split (hypertrophy only) because I am working around an injury and power lifting isn't complementary to my recovery program.

What's going to take you to the next level depends on your goals (you said build muscle and strength) and what you are doing right now. I wouldn't recommend anybody just jumping into PHAT unless they are already pretty advanced already.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonANM
What's your current split?

PHAT is good stuff but it is kind of advanced. And at this stage in your lifting you might not need it to keep progressing. I progressed pretty well with both muscle and strength (they compliment each other, you know ) doing a 4-day hypertrophy split. Then I moved onto a 5-day split for hypertrophy training each body part at least twice per week. And then I moved to PHAT. Currently, I am back doing a 5-day split (hypertrophy only) because I am working around an injury and power lifting isn't complementary to my recovery program.

What's going to take you to the next level depends on your goals (you said build muscle and strength) and what you are doing right now. I wouldn't recommend anybody just jumping into PHAT unless they are already pretty advanced already.

Thanks for the feedback buddy. Currently doing a 5x5 like Starting strength but i want more muscle gains. My diet is good, getting in around 3,300 cals a day and staying pretty lean. So you would also recommend doing WS4SB?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Dai private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting is that we have been training the same time and we have the same lifting stats. I just as you wanted to try out PHAT, but went well to start with and it was fun. But then it was time to come back to earth and realize it was a little bit to much to early. The back shoulder hypertrophy would literally be that I felt to fatigue after doing back, so every time I had to struggle more then usual on the shoulder press.

So then I switched over to doing PHUL recently and feels it might be better, as to much proved to be actually to much.
Post 5 IP   flag post
haha thats creepy i was interested in PHUL because theres less volume, and seems much less intense than PHAT so was considering that. Whats your strength gains been like on PHUL?
Post 6 IP   flag post
ClaytonANM private msg quote post Address this user
WS4SB would probably be a decent routine to integrate more exercise variety with a little power mixed in, IMO.

But a simple 3-day hypertrophy split with more volume might be fine too to start (but I guess you wouldn't get any power training in, if that's a concern). I think this is also a good place to start for beginner/intermediate lifters looking to construct their own routines: http://www.budoseek.net/articles/fitness/Strength_Training_for_Muscle_Building.pdf

Whatever you do, just focus on progressive overload. That can be achieved through strength or volume increases. Strength eventually will slow/stagnate and then volume will have to increase (that's how I worked my way up to PHAT).
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for all your help. I think i'll do WSFSB after hearing great reviews, then when i become more experienced i'd love to try layne norton's PHAY. Thanks guys
Post 8 IP   flag post
Dai private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennetto_10
haha thats creepy i was interested in PHUL because theres less volume, and seems much less intense than PHAT so was considering that. Whats your strength gains been like on PHUL?

Yeah it is, though remember that I missed the part where you actually are 4 inches taller. Just recently started on it 2 weeks ago, so can't comment much on strength gains. But I can do 140 kg in dead lift easily last time, but the rest is still 120 kg for squats and 90 kg for bench or 100 for like 2 or 3 reps.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
Dood, been do'n PHAT for about a month now and I've noticed a diff for sure! And I'm a total noob! Your bench looks a bit low for your other two being where they are, but I'd say hit PHAT, I love it man! And, if you're a Rugby player, I'd say a cal surplus would be in order, there's some big MOFOS play'n Rugby!
Post 10 IP   flag post
340733 10 10
destitute