Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ArmsBench PressChestSplit Advice

Triceps taking all the glory on chest day!12785

Sedlo18 private msg quote post Address this user
Title says it all. On chest day my triceps and shoulders get a gnarly workout but chest is just not getting activated. My arms are big to begin with and chest lagging, I just dont know what todo. My close grip is only 20-30lbs less then my bench. I barely get a pump in my chest till I do flys at the end. I know my form is not an issue so I just dont know what to do. I think im going to resort to a wider grip on BB Bench and throw in more flys (heavy and light) considering thats seems to be the only thing I can feel my chest working. Its just like no matter how hard I try I cant get the mind muscle connection with my chest and the triceps just take over. Id really appericiate any advice at all, Thanks!! P.S. I know you cant base next day soreness on how effective the previous days workout was but my chest is always super tight and on fire but my triceps and front delts are also more sore than I believe they should be.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd suggest a wide grip on BB bench and maybe heavier? IDK...
Post 2 IP   flag post
OptimusPrime private msg quote post Address this user
Dare I say there is a flaw in your BP form/technique.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@OptimusPrime Does shoulder blades back, feet planted, butt firmly on bench, slight arch in lower back, bringing bar to nipples with elbows in not flared sound about right?
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Sedlo18 Sure does. However do you shoulders remain peeled throughout the movement? Are you elbows facing each other at lock out? Is your posterior chain tight? What's your hand placement look like?

My advice would be to conduct push-ups, and be extremely mindful of what your body is doing. Then do some weighted push-ups with the same intention. Maybe get a spot throw (gently place) some plates on your upper back, it will help with creating cues for you to take to the BP. Just an idea.

Another possible reason for the shoulder/tricep burn out could be your training regime. Do you do shoulder and tri isolation work through the week? On what days does it fall? Is your chest day falling after these days?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@OptimusPrime My shoulders do stay back and my back is tight (its acctually pretty sore the next day)My pointer fingers are right at the first rings so about hand or hand and half outside shouler width. My current split is Chest, Back, Legs & shoulders, bi's & tri's, rest.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Shoulders Bi's Tri's all being worked to an extent with a days rest and once again in the compound nature of Chest work; that might or might not be having an adverse effect based on your volume and intensity during those workouts.

Personally I would advise in favour of your routine modified to something like: DAY1 : Chest/shoulders/tris all hit in more or less compound fashion, DAY3: Posterior Chain/Bi's all hit in more or less compound fashion, DAY5: Legs. 2 days rest and repeat.

That should allow you demolish what you feel is lagging in the chest department after 2 days off. Might also help on a mental level as to how hard you can exert yourself whilst fresh.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedlo18
@OptimusPrime Does shoulder blades back, feet planted, butt firmly on bench, slight arch in lower back, bringing bar to nipples with elbows in not flared sound about right?

This sounds perfect, BUT, like many people in my kinesiology labs, saying it and doing it in practicality are two different things. I've known people to be about to recite what they believe they're doing while simultaneously doing something else. So.... Without a video, there's still the potential that your form is incorrect.

What I would advise is DB presses that do not bring the DBs together when you are fully pressed. Move the DBs straight up and straight down like a piston, not up and toward each other like in an arch. If that's unclear, let me know- tomorrow's my chest day and I'm happy to vid a demo. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
@eknight I do do Incline DB so ill give that a shot. Thanks!
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Lol there's your prob. Of course your shoulders and triceps are feeling it more. Drop the inclines altogether and watch your pecs blossom, like a naked schoolgirl bursting into womanhood as she..er..nevermind. Just drop the inclines. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
I like doing 3/4 reps so not locking out, keeps the tension and crushes the chest and triceps are never tired....
Post 11 IP   flag post
@eknight haha gracias. Ive only been at a 15 degree incline so im interested to see how the "piston" technique works out. I keep my elbows in just like normal BB right? I also think I have been doing a shrug as well as bringing my shoulder blades togeather if that makes any sence? so Im going to try to keep my shoulders down and then pinch them back.
Post 12 IP   flag post
illwill private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Lol there's your prob. Of course your shoulders and triceps are feeling it more. Drop the inclines altogether and watch your pecs blossom, like a naked schoolgirl bursting into womanhood as she..er..nevermind. Just drop the inclines. -3X

logged in just to give you reps on your analogy @eknight
Post 13 IP   flag post
ajones46 private msg quote post Address this user
"Never underestimate the mental part of the game"

- Michael Jordan

Good form is absolutely crucial, but you also want to make sure you're mentally pushing and contracting with your chest and not just pushing the weight to push it.

Same way with rows - I could pull the weight and depending on what I was focusing on, I could pull more with my biceps or more with my back.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Illadian private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight i read n there is a few differences ik wt works for a person might not work for other but for me
1- i do not tuck my elbows in on BB , i flare em out so elbow is same level as shoulder i just feel it more tht way , wud it harm me or thts ok ?
2- to make sure i use n fire up pecs i do close push ups 10-15 between sets on all presses DB n BB
3- aside from that i think seldo should add more exercises using cables i dun recall its name now .-. but it does target it hard for me
Post 15 IP   flag post
340609 15 15
destitute