Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestSplit Advice

Heavy chest flys for big chest?12772

Sedlo18 private msg quote post Address this user
Alright well my chest has always been a weak point. Its there and growing (very slowly) but it needs a bit of work. It is quite symetrical in the sence that I have fairly even upper to lower chest development ill give myself that but its just lacking in over all size compared to rest of muscle groups. Ive been reading around and ive seen a good portion of people claiming that heavy DB/Cable flys (8-10reps) is the key to stimulating chest growth. It thought id give it a try considering I am pretty limb dominant and this would take that out of the equation but I think I want a few more view points on the subject before putting it in my routine. What do you guys think??

Current routine:

BB Bench: 4sets of 6-10
DB Incline: 4sets of 6-10
BB Incline: 3sets of 6-10
Cable flys low & high: 4sets of 10-15
Dips: 2 to failure

If you see any room for improvment please do share.
P.S. I like to keep my routine with an upper chest emphisis
Post 1 IP   flag post
OptimusPrime private msg quote post Address this user
What's your weight?
What's your 1RM on the Bench Press?
Post 2 IP   flag post
@OptimusPrime 5'9" 162lbs 1RM 190lbs
Post 3 IP   flag post
SimplyBulking9 private msg quote post Address this user
hmm wonder how long before someone mentions the fact you've said upper chest.. can see ek typing so i'm sure it wont be long haha
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedlo18

P.S. I like to keep my routine with an upper chest emphisis

P.S. This is nonsense and likely contributory to your lack of chest development. You can't shift emphasis to the upper pectoral region. It's one muscle. Incline movements also won't allow you to handle as heavy a weight- and neither will flyes. Heavy flat barbell; heavy flat DB; heavy floor presses; heavy pin presses; heavy rack lockouts; heavy board presses. Pick three. 5 sets of 6-8 for two months. Chest (like everything else) twice a week. Make sure your nutrition is in order as well as the rest of your routine. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
@eknight wait. If there is not "upper chest" or the "clavical portion" why do incline chest movements even exist?
Post 6 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@eknight wait. If there is not "upper chest" or the "clavical portion" why do incline chest movements even exist?

Because numerous uneducated people feel the need to spread misinformation about simple anatomy.

Hence the term Bro-Science. Backed by bro's, who fear science.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@Sedlo18 of course the clavicular portion exists, but it doesn't contract separate from, instead of, or preferential to the sternal portion. They have the same point of insertion and same innervation- so if one shortens, they both must. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Worrying about flys whilst benching 190 @ 162 is somewhat unwarranted. Focus on the primary movements, as much as people hate to accept it, numbers count.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@eknight okay yeah I guess I just worded the info wrong and misread your comment. Thanks!
Post 10 IP   flag post
@OptimusPrime true true. You have any advice to get that chest to grow? Im in a big enough caloric surplus. Do I just work in the 6-10 range and work on getting my strength up on the core chest movements and size will come with?
Post 11 IP   flag post
For starters, don't discount genetics, even though I understand the latest and greatest in the fitness industry motivationals.

My advice would be to hammer away without a 'this muscle is lagging' attitude. Hammer away at all your major Push and Pull compounds, chase numbers with progressive overload for each of those major movements. Consistency over time, rest and nutrition will do everything else.

As for the training cycle[s] you chose to implement, there is a myriad of routines to chose from. At the end of the training cycle, assess your numbers, log your progress and stick with the same approach or pick another tried and tested training methodology. Eventually you'll find a happy medium with your training cycles, then just wash, rinse, repeat.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@OptimusPrime solid advice, thanks alot thats a big help. so as my current routine stands should I stick with it, does it have any potential?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:

Current routine:

BB Bench: 4sets of 6-10
DB Incline: 4sets of 6-10
BB Incline: 3sets of 6-10
Cable flys low & high: 4sets of 10-15
Dips: 2 to failure

Personally I would alter that to something more like:

BB Bench: 3 sets of 4-10 (Pyramid up or down, up to you)
Dips: 3 sets of 4-10
DB Military Press: 3 sets of 8-12
DB Incline: 3 sets of 8-12
DB Pullovers: 2 sets of 15-20 (Done whilst focusing on your breathing and maximizing the stretch at the bottom and squeezing your elbows together at the top)

Working in the 70-85% of 1RM in everything except the Pullovers.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Hewy007 private msg quote post Address this user
heavy chest everything for a bigger chest
Post 15 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I matched your exact specs about 3 months ago. maxed 190 and could not do anything to get my chest to grow. Just get a good spotter. Toss more weight on and lift heavy shit. The spotter is a great resource and shouldnt be looked at as cheating. If he can help you get another 2-3 reps thats gonna be that much closer to you doing it on your own next time. Just dont let yourself get cut short because you are afraid of failing. Thats what the safety net is for(spotter).
Post 16 IP   flag post
bslo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
I matched your exact specs about 3 months ago. maxed 190 and could not do anything to get my chest to grow. Just get a good spotter. Toss more weight on and lift heavy shit. The spotter is a great resource and shouldnt be looked at as cheating. If he can help you get another 2-3 reps thats gonna be that much closer to you doing it on your own next time. Just dont let yourself get cut short because you are afraid of failing. Thats what the safety net is for(spotter).

This right here. I always work out alone and am never able to go as heavy as i would like on BB bench press so I end up doing DB or smith machine or Hammer strength instead. Not ideal but It allows me to get into that 1-5 rep range without the fear of dropping weight on myself.
Post 17 IP   flag post
340762 17 17
destitute