Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

How to progressive overload12727

aesthet1x private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys it's me again, just been wondering bout progression. I read it is one of the most important things to build up muscle and I have a few questions, maybe here's been a thread already but hope u can help me out.
Is it progressive overload necessary in both hypertrophy and strenght training?
How do you guys do this? I heard there are a few variations like pyramid, or adjusting reps per workout till you change weight and all that. thanks for ur answers!
Post 1 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthet1x
Is it progressive overload necessary in both hypertrophy and strenght training?

Absolutely.

1 rep
1lb
1 more set

all ways to increase the load

breakdown the word, You progressively add load... ie stress on the body. Its simple Math.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
I've done pyramid routines before and people acted like I was punching babies? I don't get it? Start with 12 reps for example, and pyramid down to 6 reps and add weight each time, that's right, right?
Post 3 IP   flag post
lolssons private msg quote post Address this user
@Thedude67 that is not really what they mean with progressive overload what they mean is that you should progressively ovearload the muscle each time you work it. lets say you are doing a classic bro split so you train every muscle group once a week then you might have chest on monday, this day you manage to get 3 sets of 6reps with 135lb on the benchpress. then the next week you should aim for either
*3 sets of 7reps with 135lb
*4 sets of 6reps with 135lb
*3 sets of 4-5reps with 140lb
And every week you increase something so that you progressively overload force the body to get stronger (adapt) every week
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
@lolssons IC
Post 5 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude67
I've done pyramid routines before and people acted like I was punching babies? I don't get it? Start with 12 reps for example, and pyramid down to 6 reps and add weight each time, that's right, right?

You would be progressively overloading on a weekly basis, but that is an example, not the actual concept

Add weight, or reps progressively.... its pretty simple.
Post 6 IP   flag post
aesthet1x private msg quote post Address this user
I was doing pyramid too lol. Well tahnks for your answerssss, keep gaininnn
Post 7 IP   flag post
jmill private msg quote post Address this user
Its pretty simple.
To begin with it helps to have a set desired rep range e.g. 8-12 Then pick a weight that helps you to reach this rep-ran. Each workout you progressively overload the muscle by by playing around with variables, load, sets, etc. When you can perform 12 reps its time to increase weight
Post 8 IP   flag post
340624 8 8
destitute