Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BackLatsSplit AdviceTraining Programs

Back Exercise Question12709

KPFitness private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys i have this question cuz im not sure myself. I dont know anyone whos done it so far. I workout back twice a week and instead of hitting overall both times i wanted to try focusing solely on width one day and thickness the second day

Has anyone tried this? what do you think even if you havent tried yourself?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Would love to know how you plan to accomplish this? The shoulder complex and movements of the lats, rear delts, rhomboids, traps, teres major and minor, and traps are far too complicated to attempt to simplify them into "width" day and "thickness" day. This is the "upper/inner" chest argument all over again. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
lemme clarify. I understand you literally cant work your width and thickness seperately as the overlap. I was using simple terms but i meant using one day to work on strictly vertical movements (pullups, pulldown, pullovers) and using the other day to do horizontal movements such as all types of rows, etc
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
You certainly can do this. I see no benefit in doing so, however. What is your end game with this proposal? -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
well my back is lagging slightly. I usually do a mix on both days and i was curious as to if i did this i could focus on my lats and teres major more today (first back day) and then on my rhomboids traps on the second day through those rowing movements.

I guess i start to second guess myself
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Personally, if it was me, I'd structure my back days with a power day and a hypertrophy day in the same line of thought as a conjugate program like WSBB, PHAT, or PHD4. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
interesting ive never tried power lifting or going under 5 reps before. im also coming off a pretty serious shoulder injury and working my way back into peak form
Post 7 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@KPFitness

Have a look at the PHD4 routine. I modified this but kept a power day and hypertrophy day. So One upper body power day (4-6 reps range), one lower body power day, rest, then back and chest (hyp, 8-12 reps range), shoulders & arms (hyp), legs (hyp), rest.
Post 8 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
Muscle can only do two things. get bigger or get smaller. width and shape depends on your genetics. pull ups or rows still triggers those damn back.
Post 9 IP   flag post
340624 9 9
destitute