Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
tengopero private msg quote post Address this user
So I asked on BB.com but didnt even get a response. I want to start stronglifts 5x5 but I am training for a bike race in a few months and don't want to burn out during my training. Right now I'm running Layne Nortons PHAT program but I know its to much volume so I want to make the switch to lower volume. Would the 5x5 program be an ideal program to reduce the chance of burning out? I know I should limit my time in the gym and focus on riding but I'm a gym addict and can't not workout. Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Damon1962 private msg quote post Address this user
IMO, your plan could include keeping your accessory lifts to a minimum and a 4-day workout (that covers all muscle groups) in an 8 day period. This will allow for you to achieve progression without over taxing yourself.

Week 1: M - W - F - Sun

Week 2: Tu - Thu - Sa - M

Post 2 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Key to not burning out is to deload on a regular basis. (I deload every 4th week.)

5x5 can be demanding (like any workout) but I admit its prob easier to manage than PHAT.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
I would just deload 1-2 weeks before the race and eat whatever I burn on the bike.
Post 4 IP   flag post
databas1c private msg quote post Address this user
There is no way you are going to be able to maintain a high RPE 5x5 squat 3x a week, and still train for cycling. I'd pick a goal, and train for it. Endurance and strength training are very different.
Post 5 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
@databas1c I disagree. I put on muscle and hit some PRs while training for my first marathon.

I did my weight training 3-5 days a week in the morning and then ran 5 days a week in the afternoon. I took 2 full days off and was on a push/pull/leg split.

They are different energy systems of the body and can be trained same day... On a good diet. There were some weeks I had to modify occasionally. And I did deload every 4 weeks. I had bi weekly massages focusing on my legs and lower back and epsom baths as often as possible.

Life would've sucked but my wife and I did it all together so that helped.

Made great time too.
Post 6 IP   flag post
databas1c private msg quote post Address this user
@kickinchicken Energy systems aside, it's just very taxing on your muscles. If i was running 5 days a week, theres no way I'd have adequate recovery to squat 3x a week at high RPE. You might recover more quickly than I do though.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@databas1c yeah, there do seem to be a lot of factors in it. Like I said, I had ALOT of focus on recovery to be able to do both at the same time. And my running schedule didn't include a high RPR every time I ran. It varied throughout the week.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@tengopero BB.com didn't respond because its made up of 99.9% idiots and followers with a vast degree of bro science. Ask them a complicated question and they will do one of two things... Not comment because they have no clue, or tell you something that has no relevance in the conversation.

What are your goals when it comes to weight training? Bigger, stronger, aid in riding?
Post 9 IP   flag post
tengopero private msg quote post Address this user
thanks for the responses everyone @kickinchicken I do want to add on size but as of now 5-10 pounds would be maximum until after the race. I do want to become stronger mainly in my legs for sprinting but I need to grow upper body because I don't want that look like most cyclist. I was thinking of only squatting twice a week and replacing the non squat day with a 5x5 deadlift instead. Any thoughts of that would be helpful

As of 11/25/13:

Squat-365x1
DL-335x1
Bench-225x1
OHP-140x1
Post 10 IP   flag post
340750 10 10
destitute