Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestSplit Advice

Whats the deal with chest day?12651

Sedlo18 private msg quote post Address this user
Im currently on a bulk and my chest which has always been a weak point finaly seems to be growing but after my first four sets of flat BB bench I begin to feel alot of the work being done by my triceps and front delts. Now normaly the first thing that comes to mind is form but that is spot on. The funny thing is, is that I mostly feel the front delt and tricep of just my left arm working and almost nothing in my right.( which is a tad smaller and weaker than right) Is it just my left side catching up or what? Some times its both but mostly just the left side, and I realize that the major chest movements are compound movemnts so your never going to eliminate the involvment of the delts and triceps but some times I feel they are being used to much despite good form. I would love some insite! Thanks much.

Routine:

Flat BB= 4 sets of 6-10
Incline DB (15degrees)= 4 sets of 8-10
Incline BB (15 deg.)= 4 sets of 8-10
Chest dips or machine press = 2 sets of 10
Cable flys = 2 sets high, 2 sets low

P.s. I only go 15 degrees on incline becuse other wise I feel it ALL in my shoulders.
Post 1 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
You're thinking is on the right track - a successful bench incorporates many muscles besides chest. But I see that as a bonus - you can hit your chest hard while getting in some extra work on your tris, lats, etc. Just bc those muscles are getting hit doesn't mean your chest is not getting hit.

I am a believer that a big bench press = a big chest. Ironically, getting to a big bench means hitting your weak points pretty hard (e.g., lots of tri work). So you're gonna have to mix in tris, lats, etc.

Forget the incline stuff altogether.

Get on a 5/3/1 protocol for your flat bench sets. http://www.strstd.com/

Get some bands for supp work. I use a single band like this one: 41" red mini band from EFTS http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=495&m=PD&pid=246 - the band work should correct any imbalances in your lift.

Do your 531 sets, then band work 3x5 or 5x3 @ 60% of your 1RM+ the band, then lats, then tris, then your hypertrophy chest work.
Post 2 IP   flag post
KnifeHands private msg quote post Address this user
For hypertrophy goals do more fly type movements like the pec deck, cable crossover, and dumbbell flys.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Xandar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeHands
For hypertrophy goals do more fly type movements like the pec deck, cable crossover, and dumbbell flys.

This ^^^ and Guillotine presses are awesome for chest development as well.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hewy007 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah brother, like these fellas said work on some more flye movements, it'll take the effort off you tri's and front delts and ship them to the chest.
Post 5 IP   flag post
G3NGHIS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeHands

This ^^^ and Guillotine presses are awesome for chest development as well.

Though guillotine press is extremely dangerous if you lift with your ego. Plus, some people are going to have to work on having that kind of flexibility in the first place

Post 6 IP   flag post
340617 6 6
destitute