Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingDiet AdviceIntroduction

Intro and Guidance12609

SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Had my brother film to check my form on heavy deads.

315 for 5 reps. Next week ill be trying to bang out 365 for 3.
Do you guys think im not using my legs enough at the bottom end?
Post 126 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Your stiff leggin the weight up bro.
U need to get deeper on the pull. Lean into your heels more.
Ur going to have to drop the weight aswell. If u did a high volume of those deads ur lower back would be screaming at you.
U want ur hamstrings about 60-70degrees to the floor when pulling from the bottom.
Post 127 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi So use more legs?!??! Ive been trying to use less legs and keep my back doing the work. Ill give it a go with a lot more squat though.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
I try not to think of deadlifts as strictly a back exercise. You should be working the entire posterior chain (hams, glutes, traps, post delts, other small muscles)

I've had a problem with this as well- One good tip I've heard for starting depth for DL's is "Can you see what's on your shirt?". That's how far up your chest should be. Also, driving your knees outward and bracing your core helps a TON. I also notice when lifting you swing your head back, and when lowering you face down. When you do that I see that you round a little bit as well.

The guy doing good mornings in the backround has terrible form lol
Post 129 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
^^ the above re. Deads is very solid advice. Ideally, they should be a hip extension movement first and foremost, not lower back. -3X
Post 130 IP   flag post

@eknight @Frostshock

Thanks for chiming in guys. I'll try and get my chest out a bunch and keep my head still. So the back bending up motion is the last part of the lift. Standing up straight with my legs is the focus?
Post 131 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostshock
I try not to think of deadlifts as strictly a back exercise. You should be working the entire posterior chain (hams, glutes, traps, post delts, other small muscles)

I've had a problem with this as well- One good tip I've heard for starting depth for DL's is "Can you see what's on your shirt?". That's how far up your chest should be. Also, driving your knees outward and bracing your core helps a TON. I also notice when lifting you swing your head back, and when lowering you face down. When you do that I see that you round a little bit as well.

The guy doing good mornings in the backround has terrible form lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
^^ the above re. Deads is very solid advice. Ideally, they should be a hip extension movement first and foremost, not lower back. -3X

I wrote a long couple paragraphs this morning, that essentially said this.^^

But my effing computer has been messing up all day, and wouldn't post it so I raged and dented my desk with my forehead. lol.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Well, im somewhat in a pickle. I just completed a week of PHAT, just to see how it worked out. I liked all the lifts but wish that it had a couple extra movements that i really enjoy.

Im going to do legs tomorrow then try and figure out my maxes all next week. I hate that im wasting a whole week maxing but it will become useful.

Scale says im right at 171 and mirror says im up a few pounds.

Not sure if i want to adjust my diet quite yet or stick it out for a few more weeks. Kinda tempted to just up cals and start a nice clean bulk with my knew knowledge.

Made protein pancakes this morning. Ended up eating them at work for dinner.
Post 133 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
Made protein pancakes this morning. Ended up eating them at work for dinner.

Yeaaaah buddy.
Post 134 IP   flag post
Well, my maxing has began. Deadlifts was today. I think i can get MAYBE 10 more pounds. I tried after this and it didnt budge. I was pretty wiped out. My legs are just not strong enough to keep my chest verticle throughout the movement. So ive been hitting squats like a mofo. Actually really enjoying them.

Shooting for 245 On bench this coming monday.
Post 135 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
Your back is just way too rounded. Not sure if you read anyone's advice above, but I'd recommend it.
Post 136 IP   flag post
@xPerfidy I know this, im not proud of it. Its one of those things where the form gets compromised for the weight. I just needed to get some sort of number for a max.

Will DEFINITELY have a video with correct form coming up quick.
Post 137 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure how well it's supported on these forums, but I'm an advocate of form > weight. If you need to drop 10 lbs to have a flat back, then so be it. A correct 315 is better than an incorrect 325 in my book, and your back will thank you down the line. Looking forward to seeing the new video.
Post 138 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
@xPerfidy I know this, im not proud of it. Its one of those things where the form gets compromised for the weight. I just needed to get some sort of number for a max.

Will DEFINITELY have a video with correct form coming up quick.

No such occasion as one of those THINGS that form should be sacrificed for the lift. If u can't lift it with good form its BEYOND ur max.. end of.
This is also because u have weak muscles that are asked to be recruited during the lift and u let ur stronger ones take over when the weaker ones fail.
This WILL lead to sloppy form and injuries when u push urself at a later date.
Post 139 IP   flag post
These baby legs. =/
Post 140 IP   flag post
340737 140 15
destitute