Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestDipsSplit Advice

bench press vs dips12486

leanr0x private msg quote post Address this user
What do you think about replacing bench press with dips? Is there any major benefit for one of them?

Just came to the idea through stuart mcrobert and because i feel dips much better than bench press
Post 1 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
Ehh I think the transfer from dips to bench is bad (random comment might be just me)

I can dip with an extra 65 pounds on my for 5-7 reps but I blow at benching. I also think the range of motion is not as great as the BP.

Probably comes down to my injury I had in my shoulder/scapula area that I never went to the docs for. l0l

I prefer dips though, badassery level is very high.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Outwork_08 private msg quote post Address this user
It would be helpful to know your entire routine before a valid recommendation could be made. But hell if you feel them more then go for it. For what it's worth, while I don't have a great chest I made great improvements to it when I stopped barbell bench pressing all together. I never do barbell bench press, if I'm doing a flat press it is with dumbbells but I mainly focus on incline and decline movements with barbells, dumbbells, and hammer strength. Good luck
Post 3 IP   flag post
OptimusPrime private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanr0x
What do you think about replacing bench press with dips?

I think...that sounds like blasphemy!

In all srsness though, I don't believe there are substitutes, not just to the bench, but any barbell compound movement really. If there is no reason, perhaps medically or maybe lack of equipment, then you shouldn't drop bench to substitute with dips. By all means drop the BP from your routine, just not under the guise that dips will be better for chest development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanr0x
Is there any major benefit for one of them?

Your dips will improve, progressive overload and all that good stuff, but your Bench Press will suffer. Also keep in mind that the Bench Press is a vital Push to your Pull movements for Back development. The variations alone for bench should suffice for a large portion of your chest work, and the muscle activation %'s for those movements are well documented, amongst an ocean of research.

Even though there is an almost dogmatic aura that surrounds the BP in bodybuilding circles, there's little substitute to simple (and yet complicated) barbell compounds.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ben777 private msg quote post Address this user
RIP sweet rotator cuffs
Post 5 IP   flag post
Okay thank you for your input guys

Further thoughts?

@Ben777 what do you mean by that

My current routine at the moment (HIT minimalism approach)
#1 Squats, bench press
#2 deadlifts, chin ups
Post 6 IP   flag post
TyrannosaurusFlex private msg quote post Address this user
He is trying to tell you that dips are bad for your shoulders.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoe
He is trying to tell you that dips are bad for your shoulders.

This, stopped doing these when i was boxing training as always felt pain my shoudlers!
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
When you're benching your scapula are supported by the bench, so there's less stress on the shoulder complex. Dips, not so much. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
i have something like this at home

on that bench i must use a close grip which is also not that comfortable so i thought it could be better for shoulders using dips
Post 10 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Added they could improve your bench but replacing them with flat bench would do more harm than good. Not replacing your decline bench press with weighted dips is something I've done and it improved my decline BP but not my flat. I used to have a bad shoulder too and dips were fine as long as I didn't try to let myself sink too deep. I'd say add 'em but don't rely on 'em. And don't go too heavy on them too often.
Post 11 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
I was gonna come in and say that dips were the greatest thing since sliced bread tbh. I really feel good chest stimulation with it. Is it actually bad for your shoulders m8s?
Post 12 IP   flag post
bkoguy07 private msg quote post Address this user
i do heavy(relative for myself at 220lbs) dips every week after bp.. bw+45, bw+90, bw+135. and continue with my workout they work well for me.
Post 13 IP   flag post
340609 13 13
destitute