Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
5 3 1BulkingPHATSplit AdviceTraining Programs

PHD-4 vs. PHAT12442

Xandar private msg quote post Address this user
So I just wanted to give my thoughts on the matter as it's a hot topic on all the boards and I thought some might be curious as to the pro and cons of PHD-4 vs PHAT. I thought some people may have thought about trying it and were curious.

PHAT is an awesome program no doubt. I would recommend it to anyone but I would recommend it as a buffer for PHD-4. PHD-4 is the total package in my opinion. Using the 5/3/1 method gives you a no brainer method of how to calculate when you're moving up in weight. I used http://www.strstd.com/ to calculate general 1RM to start with based on my PHAT 5R power days and then just went from there. I also used one of the excel templates created by a member here. Everything's just plug and play after that.

I absolutely love PHD-4. I like that I'm moving to an absolute defined goal on power days and I LOVE the volume involved with this program. I'm a total volume freak and this program is full of it. There's no doubt that the hypertrophy phase of each program are comparable. You could easily add exercises or sets to PHAT and do the same thing but what I think makes PHD-4 superior is that on power days you're moving toward a much more laid out and defined goal. I believe this little tweak is what makes it superior to PHAT.

In essence I believe PHD-4 is a much better program for an intermediate to advanced lifter where as PHAT would be a good buffer for PHD-4 for a beginner to intermediate lifter. I just find the induction of 5/3/1 and the speed work % and rep ranges of PHD-4 to be superior to PHAT. I would encourage anyone doing the PHAT program that is a intermediate to advanced lifter to give PHD-4 a try. It's extremely easy to switch over. I'll go hunt down the thread with the excel template link.

If you like PHAT you'll love PHD-4. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Scotian private msg quote post Address this user
I've done both and I enjoyed the stuff RJ @mr_aestheticz added too
Post 2 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@Xandar i agree^^
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Scotian @brian12 Yeah guys. I really like his mixture. Glad to know there are others that did too. Thought I'd put it out there for people considering it or curious how others felt about it.

Thanks for the responses fellas!
Post 4 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
PHD-4 and PHAT are simple compared to Soviet Strength from TheStrengthGuys. I run PHAT on my deload week now. As far as progression on PHAT i saw great signs. But then again i was new to tracking macros and having a legit diet. Then ran PHD-4 and saw decent gains after PHAT. Nothing like Soviet Strength. Hardest 4 weeks you'll ever do. I believe @Dukenehimer ran a modified version through TSG also.
Post 5 IP   flag post
teeeeej private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the link for PHD-4 excel document

You have to download it to see the saturday hyper day, idk why it doesn't show up in the preview
Post 6 IP   flag post
@teeeeej Thanks man. I was searching everywhere for your post. I thank you for putting that template together. It's such a plug and play after you have your template. I did take out the .9 and went in at 100% but other than that it rocks.

@dwatson I'll take a look at what you talking about. I'll have to give it a go a little later as I'm bulking till the first of Feb then it's go time for the cuts.... I'll log that with picks and what not. Let all the guys that don't like me on here dig the knife in my back lol.... but it's only fair. Thanks for the tip fella!
Post 7 IP   flag post
@xandar you're welcome! I like making excel sheets because it helps organize my workouts and I can document them month to month and help see my progress. Also, I leave in the 0.9 for my max because that's how Wendler suggests to do it, and it seems to be working well for me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@teeeeej How long have you been running it? I thought he just suggested doing 90% for the first four weeks. Anyway, glad you put it together. I use it daily!
Post 9 IP   flag post
@xandar I've been running 531 for probably over a year, but for PHD-4 I just started last week
Post 10 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandar
@teeeeej Thanks man. I was searching everywhere for your post. I thank you for putting that template together. It's such a plug and play after you have your template. I did take out the .9 and went in at 100% but other than that it rocks.

@dwatson I'll take a look at what you talking about. I'll have to give it a go a little later as I'm bulking till the first of Feb then it's go time for the cuts.... I'll log that with picks and what not. Let all the guys that don't like me on here dig the knife in my back lol.... but it's only fair. Thanks for the tip fella!

Soviet Strength isn't a free program. You have to purchase it through TSG.

Its a four program (4 month) package. Focuses primiarly on increasing your 3 core lifts. (Deads, Squats and Bench.) The training includes your normal weekly consultation from your coach. Two options are training and nutrition or just training. Its definitely worth it if you're looking to take it to the next level.

I think @Roar started Soviet Strength and didn't (edit: couldn't) finish the entire program.

Training and Nutrition Packages
4 Months = 560 Canadian Dollars

Training Only Package
4 Months = 390 Canadian Dollars

thestrengthguys.com
Post 11 IP   flag post
@teeeeej Cool. I hope you're liking it as much as me.

@dwatson thanks for the tip.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Hamer93 private msg quote post Address this user
Good read, i will look into PHD-4 as my next programme! Wot be for ages though as in doing phat and its working and im loving it!

Stick around @Xander you have a lot o offer to this forum from what posts ive seen
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Hamer93 Thanks man. Yeah, I'm gunna stick around. I'm toning it down a bit. No need to ruffle feathers all the time. Everyone has a view point whether backed by science and experience or not.

You should definitely try PHD-4 as it's not much diff than PHAT. Very easy to transition into when and if you want to give it a go.
Post 14 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Haha. I went through RJ for training services last year. Dude got me mad shredded and was so cool to work with. I learned so much from the man.

Then I tried TSG. Ummmmm I don't want to go off on a rant here but I didn't like at all. That is all haha.
Post 15 IP   flag post
340762 15 15
destitute